Which is easier to break into - Consulting or ibanking?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which is easier to break into - Consulting or ibanking?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm a 2L at a lower T-14. I plan on spending some time next semester working on breaking into either consulting or ibanking for after graduation (I think i missed the summer boat), but i doubt I have the time to really try to hustle both simultaneously (especially given the case practice I have to do for consulting). Which one do you think is easier to break into as a JD? I understand both are long shots. For either, I'm not looking necessarily to score one of the prestige gigs - really anything that pays alright and is in the field is fine by me.

Agent

Re: Which is easier to break into - Consulting or ibanking?

Postby Agent » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Here's a link you might find interesting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks. However, I'm really trying to shoot for entry level stuff straight out of law school. I know it's tough, especially given that I probably won't have a big law SA.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Do you have finance skills? Business work experience? Demonstrated quant aptitude? Good grades?

If the answer is no, it's going to be virtually impossible to break into either, but consulting may be slightly easier since lack of the first two above isn't a total dealbreaker, and consulting is less obsessed with grades (though they still place a lot of emphasis on it).

If the answer is yes, perhaps banking might be easier? Your knowledge as a JD is more transportable to banking since it's deal-driven, but the number one criteria is finance skills or strong indications you can learn really quickly (i.e., experience in a related field plus quant skills).

Not to be discouraging, but it's a real long shot. I know a bunch of people who had all of the above and still failed to break into one or the other. Not to mention hiring is down in both industries (particularly in banking).
Last edited by imchuckbass58 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 pm

OP here. Thanks, this is helpful. I know that both are virtually impossible, so it was really just a matter of relative weighing of the two. It seems the worse economic state of banking + slightly higher standards makes consulting the less bad gamble.

Return to “Legal Employment”