1L Summer Associate Positions - attainable?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Associate Positions - attainable?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm actually a second-year evening student, but for all intents and purposes, that means I'm applying for 1L-type jobs this year. But it also means I'm doing so at a Tier-1 School with grades in the top 10% and Law Review credentials. Do I have any chance at all at landing one of the very few 1L Summer Associate positions at Big Law? Is it worth sending apps to my desired markets (NYC, maybe DC) and my home markets in a mid-western state?

I'm obviously interested in the experience and the possible excuse not to do OCI next year, but it'd also be nice to make nearly my current salary over the summer. It's also probably the only legit excuse I'd have to take a summer off at my current job.

Before I pull a couple of all-nighters to get apps ready in the next few days (while studying for finals and working full time), I want to get TLS's opinion.

(I'm anonymous because I assume there are very few people actually trying what I'm trying and don't want to risk being outed too much.)

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Associate Positions - attainable?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:07 pm

It's possible. I did it as a second-year evening student. I was around top 3%. Sent out about 60 apps. Received three interviews from a v10, a v100 and one regional powerhouse. One offer from those three interviews. Texas market.

In retrospect, I got very lucky. If I was you, I wouldn't count on it and would try to hedge my bets. I am the only evening student in my class that got a SA, while I know at least 5 day-time 1Ls that got one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 pm

OP here: thanks for the quick and useful reply. I definitely know it's a longshot, but I'm encouraged to hear a success story!

If anyone else has thoughts, particularly on hitting the NYC market, I'm all ears.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:29 pm

1. It's possible (but quite unlikely).

2. It's worth it to try.

3. It's not worth taking a possible hit to your GPA.

You're in a better position than 1Ls who have no idea how their studying is going to impact their final grades (and thus take an unknown risk in devoting pre-finals time to 1L SA apps). As a 2E you've already had a year of finals so you know how much you need to study to do well. You also have grades that 1Ls do not so you're better served than 1Ls are by applying Dec 1. If you can send out apps without taking a hit to your grades I say do it. Otherwise do it after finals are over.

Roberts8000

Postby Roberts8000 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:28 pm

There are several midwestern firms that hire 1L Summer Associates. Husch Blackwell (I'll be there as a 2L) is apparently hiring about 15 firm-wide, mostly in Kansas City and St. Louis, but also in Denver, Chicago and DC.

Return to “Legal Employment”