Are there any law firm--> fed. gov. escapees here?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Are there any law firm--> fed. gov. escapees here?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Or anyone that is attempting to lateral into the federal government after a few years of private practice?

Exactly how hard is it? I'm not necessarily talking about just AUSA - but SEC, main justice, etc., as well.

I am facing a choice between a firm (that probably can claim - along with one or two other firms, of course - to be the most elite litigation practice in its city, if that makes any difference) and DOJ Honors. I want to be in public service long-term, but I am not excited about the component for which I have an offer. The main thing preventing me from taking the law firm job is the knowledge that if I turn down the DOJ now, it may be very difficult to get back in. I've heard plenty of horror stories from attorneys at least as well credentialed as I will be that really struggled to make it into government.

anon168

Re: Are there any law firm--> fed. gov. escapees here?

Postby anon168 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Or anyone that is attempting to lateral into the federal government after a few years of private practice?

Exactly how hard is it? I'm not necessarily talking about just AUSA - but SEC, main justice, etc., as well.

I am facing a choice between a firm (that probably can claim - along with one or two other firms, of course - to be the most elite litigation practice in its city, if that makes any difference) and DOJ Honors. I want to be in public service long-term, but I am not excited about the component for which I have an offer. The main thing preventing me from taking the law firm job is the knowledge that if I turn down the DOJ now, it may be very difficult to get back in. I've heard plenty of horror stories from attorneys at least as well credentialed as I will be that really struggled to make it into government.

I went from private practice to AUSA and now back to private practice.

Without knowing more about your situation it's impossible to counsel you. I can tell you this, having worked with many DOJ Trial Attorneys, the last thing you want to do is get stuck in a component you have no interest in.

nickleanddime

Re: Are there any law firm--> fed. gov. escapees here?

Postby nickleanddime » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Sent you a PM.

Return to “Legal Employment”