1L Summer Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 am

I'm a 1l and my goal is to graduate with a big law associate position. I'd like to do corporate and securities work. I know 1l summer isn't that important but I was wondering what people thought of the following options given my career goals.

1. Judicial Externship
2. JAG 1L summer program
3. SEC Summer Program

Thanks for any advice!

Cade McNown

Re: 1L Summer Advice

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:41 am

Nice anon usage.

SEC > Judicial Internship > JAG

Good Grades > Everything else

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:08 am

I did JAG my 1L summer. During OCI, most of the attorneys were genuinely curious about my summer position and about what JAGs do on a regular basis. I think in some ways, it may be better than a judicial internship because the attorney will probably pay more attention (at least during this part of the interview) than if you start describing a criminal case you worked over the summer for a judge (which they have heard a million times).

That said, there is always the possibility that it hurt me behind the scenes. But I seriously doubt it.

If you do JAG for your 1L summer, just prepare for OCI by coming up with a quick explanation of how you became interested in JAG and why you aren't interested in it any more. PM me if you want specifics.

This is all conjecture though. The most important thing during OCI is that you spin your summer experience to sound like it was interesting and that you learned something. That will be way more important than whether your resume says SEC, JAG, or judicial intern.
Last edited by shock259 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:45 am

If you want to graduate big law the best thing to do 1L summer is work in a big law firm.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:24 am

It really doesn't matter what you do your 1L summer as long as it's legal. But one thing I would recommend is that if your resume prior to law school screams public interest or some other particular interest, avoid doing something relating to that for your 1L summer if the types of firms you'd be applying at don't do that kind of work. Like if you were in the military before, continuing with working for JAG your 1L summer would be perceived totally differently than if you were never in the military.

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:27 am

The following occurred to me during OCI:
On TLS, we have to assume everything is equal. But it isn't. The most important thing is grades, that's true, but the equation needs to be divided into two parts - what is necessary, and what is sufficient. Grades are 80% of the equation, or even more, in terms of being necessary, but once you're in a pool with a bunch of people who have the necessary grades, other things are 100% of the equation. This doesn't matter at all if you have the extra stuff - you worked at McKinsey before law school, or you were the quarterback of your college football team, etc. You already have the resume, and the grades were the last necessity.

For people who don't have stellar "softs" it is important to burnish them to the extent you can. The problem is that you need to be strategic about it because you already don't have the soft factors. But you should be aware that while for the people with special resumes, there is absolutely no difference between working for the SEC or the EPA or some guy in their hometown who does home closings and DUIs for 1L, for people who want to do finance work but don't have a background there might be a difference. The little extra effort to target the place you work to the impression you want to present at OCI can make a difference. The little extra effort to volunteer subcite for a business-related journal can make a difference, if your school does that kind of thing.

It's not something that you should lose sleep over, because it's only really relevant in the margins. I think that for me personally it would have helped - in my 1L summer, I was assigned a department that I was enjoyed but wasn't going to do long term, and I regret not specifically asking if I could get work from another department. Same for joining a journal - I did a human rights journal for the sake of doing it, but once I was doing that, I should have done a business journal for the sake of doing it because that would have been more useful.

Good luck.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:12 pm

This may seem inaccessible, but not impossible. Try as hard as feasibly possible to secure a 1L SA firm interview and then do everything in your power to close the deal. Do not treat this as just interviewing experience. If you succeed you will sidestep the burden of 2L OCI, mass mailings, job fairs, callbacks, screeners, dings, stress, etc. If your 1L SA attempt fails then you are pretty much in the same boat as everyone else, trying to secure some kind of legal work which more often than not is unpaid.

Postby 2014 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:52 pm

What is your financial or funding situation like OP?

Some schools don't provide funding for judicial externships but do for the other programs on your list. If you can afford to not get paid that's fine, but for my search I know I won't even be touching judges for that reason.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Cade McNown wrote:SEC > Judicial Internship > JAG

Good Grades > Everything else

I agree except I think JAG is better than a judicial internship. Working for a judge is kind of a yawner. JAG would probably be better experience and more interesting to talk about in job interviews, which should be two of your main goals for a 1L job. Your other goals should be getting paid (another strike against judicial internships, as someone else said, because they don't always qualify for public interest funding) and experiencing an area of the law you might be interested in doing later (yet another reason not to work for a judge, unless you are planning to be a judge, in which case best of luck to you).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:11 pm

2014 wrote:What is your financial or funding situation like OP?

Some schools don't provide funding for judicial externships but do for the other programs on your list. If you can afford to not get paid that's fine, but for my search I know I won't even be touching judges for that reason.

Finances aren't a huge issue. Obviously a paid job would be great but I can get by without one. If I got the SEC job I could live at home and if I got the JAG job I'd be living at my apartment near school. A family friend works at an investment firm and mentioned the possibility of working under their general counsel for the summer. This would probably be paid and it's a pretty well-known investment firm so it would probably be good experience and networking.

The JAG internship just seems so much more interesting than working for a judge all summer and like a few others said I think it would be something unique and interesting to talk about during OCI. My top choice is probably JAG then the SEC internship as long as both will look fine to a recruiter at OCI. Any thoughts on the job working for general counsel at an investment firm? Thanks for the advice.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Those that are saying JAG/SEC>Judicial internship, would it change the equation for a fed district court internship? Or is that what you assumed in the first place?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:19 pm

If you just want to work at a big firm:

1L SA > anything paid/anything you can get funding for > anything unpaid

HTH

This answer might be different if you were dead set on working at the PD or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”