V20 or Midlaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V20 or Midlaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:20 pm

I have to choose between a Vault 20 firm in NY or a prominent midlaw firm in a much smaller secondary(tertiary?) market where all of my family lives. I ultimately want to move back to that market. The Vault firm obviously pays more than the midlaw firm, but after accounting for taxes and cost of living, it's probably not a major difference.

Am I crazy for considering the midlaw firm? If this is the market I want to be in eventually, why not just go now? On the other hand, I feel like I can't turn down the Vault firm in good conscience because of the perceived prestige and benefit of having it on my resume. Then again, maybe law school has just beat this idea of prestigious into my head.

bdubs

Re: V20 or Midlaw

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Do you want to do transactional work or litigation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Litigation. I don't want to go inhouse.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:00 pm

If you're 100% sure you want to have a career in your hometown and you'll be able to service any debt you might have, choose the MidLaw firm. If you're at all in doubt, go V20.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Litigation. I don't want to go inhouse.

Stay in your home market as long as you don't have any grand ambitions to be a superstar.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:42 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Litigation. I don't want to go inhouse.

Stay in your home market as long as you don't have any grand ambitions to be a superstar.

Even if he wanted to do transactional the analysis would be basically the same.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:55 pm

RVP11 wrote:If you're 100% sure you want to have a career in your hometown and you'll be able to service any debt you might have, choose the MidLaw firm. If you're at all in doubt, go V20.

Yup.

My guess is the midlaw firm has an excellent reputation in whatever city you're looking to end up in, so it would give you plenty of options in that town. Vault rankings really only matter in NY and DC, and to a lesser extent LA, SF and Chicago. If you're headed to some place like Seattle of Des Moines, just go with the good local firm because nobody gives a shit about Vault rankings there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 am

SBL wrote:
RVP11 wrote:If you're 100% sure you want to have a career in your hometown and you'll be able to service any debt you might have, choose the MidLaw firm. If you're at all in doubt, go V20.

Yup.

My guess is the midlaw firm has an excellent reputation in whatever city you're looking to end up in, so it would give you plenty of options in that town. Vault rankings really only matter in NY and DC, and to a lesser extent LA, SF and Chicago. If you're headed to some place like Seattle of Des Moines, just go with the good local firm because nobody gives a shit about Vault rankings there.

To what extent do they matter in the cities you named? And matter for what exactly?

Just curious, bc I've got biglaw but it is not vault ranked, and I'm unclear as to the importance of vault rankings. tyia

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:17 pm

In your case vault rankings are irrelevant. If you are at a V20 or near the bottom of V100 the pay is nearly the same. How much is your mid-law pay? Run the numbers on a COL internet site and you may discover that $160K in NYC is equivalent to $90K in your mid-law market.

Return to “Legal Employment”