1L Externship Interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Externship Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Just got an email back from a federal COA judge who encouraged me to apply for a 1L externship before the Dec. 1 NALP deadline asking to interview me in early January - meeting with the judge and then in-house lunch with the four clerks.

What's the best way to go about preparing for this? I imagine it will be different from an actual clerkship interview, but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ph14

Gold

Re: 1L Externship Interview

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an email back from a federal COA judge who encouraged me to apply for a 1L externship before the Dec. 1 NALP deadline asking to interview me in early January - meeting with the judge and then in-house lunch with the four clerks.

What's the best way to go about preparing for this? I imagine it will be different from an actual clerkship interview, but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
First, don't worry about this until after finals and you're on winter break. Second, prepare for this as you would any 1L job interview, but be prepared to answer questions specifically tailored to working as an extern for a federal court of appeals judge (as opposed to public interest, government, law firms, etc.). Some types of questions I would be prepared for: why do you want to extern for a judge? why an appeals judge as opposed to a trial judge? fav/least fav classes? what do you want to do after you graduate?, etc.

adonai

Silver

Re: 1L Externship Interview

Post by adonai » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Since you got an interview lined up already, all they're most likely looking for is if you will fit in chambers and be pleasant to work with. Be prepared to answer questions like how you resolved conflict with co-workers, how you react to feedback, why you want this particular judge, what you know about him/her that made you want this particular judge, and surprise questions like who your favorite Supreme Court Justice is and why (safest bet for this question is to choose a justice that is most in line with your COA judge's judicial philosophy and know some cases involving that justice). Most importantly, be enthusiastic and make it known that you really want to be there. You accommodate their needs, not the other way around. You will be likely competing against upperclassmen who want to wing it and are there for the prestige, not the learning experience which is what clerks want to provide. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”