Questions for Interviewers: Magic Number? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Questions for Interviewers: Magic Number?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:02 am

I have a callback coming up with a firm. Is there a typical number of questions one should have prepared for each interviewer? Is five a safe number or is that too low?

What are some good questions to ask?

shock259

Gold

Re: Questions for Interviewers: Magic Number?

Post by shock259 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I'd probably have a few more than five. Sometimes interviewers will directly answer your question before you ask it (or at least come close enough that you will look like you weren't listening if you ask it). You don't need to have them memorized though. Just think about a few before you go. When the question time comes, ask one that is on the top of your head. Listen to the response, but be sure you have another question ready to go for whenever the interviewer finishes answering the first question. Rinse, repeat until the interview says the interview is over. Rinse, repeat for all interviewers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 pm

shock259 wrote:I'd probably have a few more than five. Sometimes interviewers will directly answer your question before you ask it (or at least come close enough that you will look like you weren't listening if you ask it). You don't need to have them memorized though. Just think about a few before you go. When the question time comes, ask one that is on the top of your head. Listen to the response, but be sure you have another question ready to go for whenever the interviewer finishes answering the first question. Rinse, repeat until the interview says the interview is over. Rinse, repeat for all interviewers.
I agree with all of this.

On my last callback one interviewer wanted me to completely lead the interview with questions. Think of some basic areas you are prepared to ask questions on, and then listen very carefully so you can ask more in depth questions based off the interviewer's responses. This man ended up keeping me for 45 minutes or so rather than the allotted 20 or 30 minutes. Try not to be too nailed down to certain questions, so you can be flexible if a situation like this arises. Make sure you are familiar enough with the firm/interviewer (if you know who they are in advance) that you can ask tailored questions, in the event you have 45 minutes to do so.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Lol

If you're not a social idiot, ask an open-ended question like "what made you want to work at firm/agency/office XYZ" and then have a conversation like a normal human. Asking 5 random Qs one right after another is ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 pm

OP.

Thanks for the advice everyone (except RadLulz, who I guess gets off on putting people down on internet message boards).

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:Lol

If you're not a social idiot, ask an open-ended question like "what made you want to work at firm/agency/office XYZ" and then have a conversation like a normal human. Asking 5 random Qs one right after another is ridiculous.
This, in its entirety.

ALTHOUGH, it never hurts to have questions in mind, because often the fodder for general open-ended ones like that just gets covered by the interviewer before you get to the "Do you have any questions?" point

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”