Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GimmeThatJD

Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby GimmeThatJD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:38 am

I just came across this video and was wondering if this happens in big law recruiting?

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk4jYvZv ... ure=relmfu

Basically says overweight and unattractive folks don't get hired. Do you see this happening a lot? Sad...

Lawquacious

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just came across this video and was wondering if this happens in big law recruiting?

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk4jYvZv ... ure=relmfu

Basically says overweight and unattractive folks don't get hired. Do you see this happening a lot? Sad...

Not to be insensentive, but go on a diet breh if this is you.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:58 am

Having great grades from a top school can paper over many sins, but at the end of the day, legal hiring is also hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:26 am

There are grade superstars. Those people get tons of offers and they are a minority. It does not matter how they look, or smell or talk.

Then, there is everyone else. Among everyone else category, I think a lot of things can hurt you chances, from weight, to being reserved, to not being attractive etc. There are so many candidates that look the same (since firms do not differentiate much past the superstars), that things such as appearance and interviewing ability become extremely important.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:48 am

I actually think some of the problem is a lot of overweight people seem to wear suits that are extremely ill-fitting and make them look worse. It's harder to fit if you're at an extreme size, but it's so much more important or you just look frumpy.

I also think it's a problem for extremely petite women. I've seen some with suits that are too large and it just looks like they're playing dress up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:There are grade superstars. Those people get tons of offers and they are a minority. It does not matter how they look, or smell or talk.

Wish this misconception would die off. Even people with great grades must interview decently. You can strike out as a top 10% at T10 if you suck at interviewing.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are grade superstars. Those people get tons of offers and they are a minority. It does not matter how they look, or smell or talk.

Wish this misconception would die off. Even people with great grades must interview decently. You can strike out as a top 10% at T10 if you suck at interviewing.

It can happen but it's hard. There are several firms who will take people with good enough grades almost no matter what. It usually takes sloppy bidding plus bad interviewing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:12 am

Thanks for the replies. I was the person who started this thread. Well the conclusion stands: I need to drop forty pounds and look smoking hot for 1L year. If you're that lucky male law student, I'll be in your torts class.

LOL
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was the initial anonymous poster. Well the conclusion stands: I need to drop forty pounds and look smoking hot for 1L year. If your that lucky male law student, I'll be in you're torts class.

LOL

Spoiler Alert: You'll be 20 lbs heavier after 1L

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was the initial anonymous poster. Well the conclusion stands: I need to drop forty pounds and look smoking hot for 1L year. If your that lucky male law student, I'll be in you're torts class.

LOL

LOL

Well as long as I get the job then whatever. I'll get the job, get the male law student, get married, and happily throw the weight back on.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

LOL

LOL

Well as long as I get the job then whatever. I'll get the job, get the male law student, get married, and happily throw the weight back on.

Obama's America.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:LOL

That's fraud.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:31 am

Tom Joad wrote:

That's fraud.

ROFLMAO

Well what are you gonna do, sue me? You'd be locked in and we'd already be married!
*evil laugh*

Remember, I'd be a lawyer too you know. You wouldn't have a case!

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

That's fraud.

ROFLMAO

Well what are you gonna do, sue me? You'd be locked in and we'd already be married!
*evil laugh*

Remember, I'd be a lawyer too you know. You wouldn't have a case!

Lets be fair, her stretch marks are probably fair warning enough. Assumption of the risk bro.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 am

*shudder*

*bites, 5 layer beefy burrito*

*flips page of SI Swimsuit Edition*

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am

All other things considered, I am sure it will hurt you. The whole OCI process is extremely wishy-washy and based on snap impressions. It's not fair, but it is what it is.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It can happen but it's hard. There are several firms who will take people with good enough grades almost no matter what. It usually takes sloppy bidding plus bad interviewing.

I've heard more than one story of someone only getting one offer but it being S&C or Cravath. Sure, grades superstars can strike out, but the grade whore firms with mega classes are pretty helpful for people like this.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Well what are you gonna do, sue me? You'd be locked in and we'd already be married!
*evil laugh*

http://www.ibtimes.com/ugly-baby-china- ... ild-858271

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

LOL

LOL

Then he cheats on you with his secretary, the babysitter, random women from the gym, and his hair stylist.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 pm

The legal employment forum is not for 0Ls.

Return to “Legal Employment”