Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GimmeThatJD
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby GimmeThatJD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:38 am

I just came across this video and was wondering if this happens in big law recruiting?

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk4jYvZv ... ure=relmfu

Basically says overweight and unattractive folks don't get hired. Do you see this happening a lot? Sad...

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just came across this video and was wondering if this happens in big law recruiting?

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk4jYvZv ... ure=relmfu

Basically says overweight and unattractive folks don't get hired. Do you see this happening a lot? Sad...



Not to be insensentive, but go on a diet breh if this is you.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:58 am

Having great grades from a top school can paper over many sins, but at the end of the day, legal hiring is also hiring.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:26 am

There are grade superstars. Those people get tons of offers and they are a minority. It does not matter how they look, or smell or talk.

Then, there is everyone else. Among everyone else category, I think a lot of things can hurt you chances, from weight, to being reserved, to not being attractive etc. There are so many candidates that look the same (since firms do not differentiate much past the superstars), that things such as appearance and interviewing ability become extremely important.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:48 am

I actually think some of the problem is a lot of overweight people seem to wear suits that are extremely ill-fitting and make them look worse. It's harder to fit if you're at an extreme size, but it's so much more important or you just look frumpy.

I also think it's a problem for extremely petite women. I've seen some with suits that are too large and it just looks like they're playing dress up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:There are grade superstars. Those people get tons of offers and they are a minority. It does not matter how they look, or smell or talk.


Wish this misconception would die off. Even people with great grades must interview decently. You can strike out as a top 10% at T10 if you suck at interviewing.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are grade superstars. Those people get tons of offers and they are a minority. It does not matter how they look, or smell or talk.


Wish this misconception would die off. Even people with great grades must interview decently. You can strike out as a top 10% at T10 if you suck at interviewing.


It can happen but it's hard. There are several firms who will take people with good enough grades almost no matter what. It usually takes sloppy bidding plus bad interviewing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:12 am

Thanks for the replies. I was the person who started this thread. Well the conclusion stands: I need to drop forty pounds and look smoking hot for 1L year. If you're that lucky male law student, I'll be in your torts class.

LOL
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was the initial anonymous poster. Well the conclusion stands: I need to drop forty pounds and look smoking hot for 1L year. If your that lucky male law student, I'll be in you're torts class.

LOL


Spoiler Alert: You'll be 20 lbs heavier after 1L

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was the initial anonymous poster. Well the conclusion stands: I need to drop forty pounds and look smoking hot for 1L year. If your that lucky male law student, I'll be in you're torts class.

LOL


Spoiler Alert: You'll be 20 lbs heavier after 1L


LOL

Well as long as I get the job then whatever. I'll get the job, get the male law student, get married, and happily throw the weight back on.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was the initial anonymous poster. Well the conclusion stands: I need to drop forty pounds and look smoking hot for 1L year. If your that lucky male law student, I'll be in you're torts class.

LOL


Spoiler Alert: You'll be 20 lbs heavier after 1L


LOL

Well as long as I get the job then whatever. I'll get the job, get the male law student, get married, and happily throw the weight back on.


Obama's America.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:LOL

Well as long as I get the job then whatever. I'll get the job, get the male law student, get married, and happily throw the weight back on.

That's fraud.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:31 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LOL

Well as long as I get the job then whatever. I'll get the job, get the male law student, get married, and happily throw the weight back on.

That's fraud.


ROFLMAO

Well what are you gonna do, sue me? You'd be locked in and we'd already be married!
*evil laugh*

Remember, I'd be a lawyer too you know. You wouldn't have a case!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LOL

Well as long as I get the job then whatever. I'll get the job, get the male law student, get married, and happily throw the weight back on.

That's fraud.


ROFLMAO

Well what are you gonna do, sue me? You'd be locked in and we'd already be married!
*evil laugh*

Remember, I'd be a lawyer too you know. You wouldn't have a case!


Lets be fair, her stretch marks are probably fair warning enough. Assumption of the risk bro.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 am

*shudder*

*bites, 5 layer beefy burrito*

*flips page of SI Swimsuit Edition*

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby shock259 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am

All other things considered, I am sure it will hurt you. The whole OCI process is extremely wishy-washy and based on snap impressions. It's not fair, but it is what it is.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are grade superstars. Those people get tons of offers and they are a minority. It does not matter how they look, or smell or talk.


Wish this misconception would die off. Even people with great grades must interview decently. You can strike out as a top 10% at T10 if you suck at interviewing.


It can happen but it's hard. There are several firms who will take people with good enough grades almost no matter what. It usually takes sloppy bidding plus bad interviewing.

I've heard more than one story of someone only getting one offer but it being S&C or Cravath. Sure, grades superstars can strike out, but the grade whore firms with mega classes are pretty helpful for people like this.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Well what are you gonna do, sue me? You'd be locked in and we'd already be married!
*evil laugh*

http://www.ibtimes.com/ugly-baby-china- ... ild-858271

User avatar
hume85
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby hume85 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was the initial anonymous poster. Well the conclusion stands: I need to drop forty pounds and look smoking hot for 1L year. If your that lucky male law student, I'll be in you're torts class.

LOL


Spoiler Alert: You'll be 20 lbs heavier after 1L


LOL

Well as long as I get the job then whatever. I'll get the job, get the male law student, get married, and happily throw the weight back on.


Then he cheats on you with his secretary, the babysitter, random women from the gym, and his hair stylist.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Obese, Unattractive, and Not Sexy: NOT Getting the Job?

Postby bk1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 pm

The legal employment forum is not for 0Ls.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.