2L Summer: Am I f**ked + something corporate-ish

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Summer: Am I f**ked + something corporate-ish

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:42 am

2L, T-14, struck out at big law. At this point, nothing on the table. Am I fucked for 2L Summer? Also, would like to do something corporate/transactional/commercial ish, maybe something in tax. No luck with the audit firms. Applied to IRS. Anything else out there? What's the usual timeline for small firms that may do some kind of commercial work?

BullShitWithBravado

Re: 2L Summer: Am I fucked + something corporate-ish

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:05 am

Some firms are still hiring, but you'll have to hustle. Mass mail NYC and secondary markets, reach out to alums at firms, and try resubmitting your application to firms after first semester grades come out if your GPA improves (have heard of people getting Biglaw this way). You should also probably apply to public interest jobs. You're not fucked 'til you stop applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:35 am

Different anon here... I mass mailed and still hoping for something but it does not look likely. At this point I have decided to just study for finals since I have ignored all of my classes until now. I do not personally think there is much value to mass mailing big law at this stage... I stopped receiving mass mail leads from NYC in September and secondary markets in October. Try international offices maybe...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L, T-14, struck out at big law. At this point, nothing on the table. Am I fucked for 2L Summer? Also, would like to do something corporate/transactional/commercial ish, maybe something in tax. No luck with the audit firms. Applied to IRS. Anything else out there? What's the usual timeline for small firms that may do some kind of commercial work?

Been mass mailing international offices. Got mostly responses saying "we've filled our class." At least for Asia, most non-U.S. firms only have grad trainee programs that I don't think JD's are qualified for. I even applied to a few, with no luck. Not sure what it is with other parts of the world, but this seems to be the case with UK as well, in my experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:40 pm

You should apply to each F500's general counsel office. I know a 2L (lower T-14, top 33%) who got a job at a F100 in March of his 2L year.

Didn't lead to a full-time offer, but it was definitely corporate work and was paid.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Dude, corporations have in-house counsel. If you can get on doing due dil for some deals, that'll play well down the road.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Apply to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. It's not paid but they have a 3L Honors program (which I'm sure interning would give you a leg up on) that hires for full time positions paying 100K + bar prep course fees straight out of law school.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Definitely reach out to any in-house counsel's office. The SEC is another possibility.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Any advice on in-house other than symplicity + lawstudentjobs? I feel like the HR online postings are just black holes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Got an offer for a regional dept of interior office but really want biglaw/corp--should I take it or take my chances?

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on in-house other than symplicity + lawstudentjobs? I feel like the HR online postings are just black holes.

Do you know anything about the big industries where you want to work?

If you're up in Michigan, that's probably various auto-parts manufacturers, some o&g pipeline co's.

If you're out S.F., it's probably some VC firms and all sorts of mid-size tech firms.

If you're down Houston way, it's probably o&g exploration cos.

It takes some knowledge of local industry, but look up the players and shoot out some emails. Local biz journals aren't a bad place to start for researching these companies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 am

BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on in-house other than symplicity + lawstudentjobs? I feel like the HR online postings are just black holes.

Do you know anything about the big industries where you want to work?

If you're up in Michigan, that's probably various auto-parts manufacturers, some o&g pipeline co's.

If you're out S.F., it's probably some VC firms and all sorts of mid-size tech firms.

If you're down Houston way, it's probably o&g exploration cos.

It takes some knowledge of local industry, but look up the players and shoot out some emails. Local biz journals aren't a bad place to start for researching these companies.

Thanks for that tip - it's very helpful. I'm in upstate NY (you can probably guess which school now), but my family is in Maryland/Virginia area.

Return to “Legal Employment”