Cook County SAO Round 1

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cook County SAO Round 1

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Sorry, not to be a downer. Just sharing my experience. I am glad to answer specific questions as well, if you have them.

And there are some awesome ASAs, by the way. Just because my experience overall was poor doesn't mean I don't keep in touch with a few still - that's why I prefer not to reveal my identity (even though honestly, the people I am still friends with know!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:56 pm

I have had a very different experience interning in a couple different divisions of the office. I have found many of the ASAs I worked with to care deeply about victims of crime. And they were incredibly cognizant of their own ethical obligations with regard to defendants' rights. Within those bounds, they fought hard to achieve just dispositions of their cases. They don't necessarily roll over whenever a defense attorney tells them their client is "really a good kid." And yes, a lot of them don't put a lot of stock in rehabilitation as a goal of the criminal justice system, especially when they see a revolving door of kids coming back into court after "boot camp" or whatever didn't work.

That doesn't mean they are without their faults, but to be fair they are very overworked and have to deal with difficult people on a daily basis.

The anonymous poster who found it to be a hostile work environment sounds more cut out for defense, in which case probably any prosecutor's office might seem a bit hostile.

Don't get me wrong - I want prosecutors to be measured, reasonable, and ethical. But if they have probable cause to believe the defendant is guilty, then I also want them to be "gunners."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have had a very different experience interning in a couple different divisions of the office. I have found many of the ASAs I worked with to care deeply about victims of crime. And they were incredibly cognizant of their own ethical obligations with regard to defendants' rights. Within those bounds, they fought hard to achieve just dispositions of their cases. They don't necessarily roll over whenever a defense attorney tells them their client is "really a good kid." And yes, a lot of them don't put a lot of stock in rehabilitation as a goal of the criminal justice system, especially when they see a revolving door of kids coming back into court after "boot camp" or whatever didn't work.

That doesn't mean they are without their faults, but to be fair they are very overworked and have to deal with difficult people on a daily basis.

The anonymous poster who found it to be a hostile work environment sounds more cut out for defense, in which case probably any prosecutor's office might seem a bit hostile.

Don't get me wrong - I want prosecutors to be measured, reasonable, and ethical. But if they have probable cause to believe the defendant is guilty, then I also want them to be "gunners."

I'm glad you had a different experience than mine. I am not "more cut out for defense," I don't think - I just work with kids, which gives me a really different perspective. I didn't find that many of the ASAs had ever worked with kids before or even in inner-city communities and largely disconnected those who live in these communities. Even other ASAs who worked with kids in the past agreed that this was a problem. It's easy to see a kid as a nameless face of a broken, hopeless neighborhood if you are completely inexperienced in the other facets of these communities, as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm glad you had a different experience than mine. I am not "more cut out for defense," I don't think - I just work with kids, which gives me a really different perspective. I didn't find that many of the ASAs had ever worked with kids before or even in inner-city communities and largely disconnected those who live in these communities. Even other ASAs who worked with kids in the past agreed that this was a problem. It's easy to see a kid as a nameless face of a broken, hopeless neighborhood if you are completely inexperienced in the other facets of these communities, as well.

A fair criticism. I do believe the current State's Attorney is aggressively trying to change the demographics of her staff in part because of this issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Yesterday apparently was the last day for 3rd round interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:43 pm

I had my third round interview and they said decisions would not go out until May? Anyone else hear anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had my third round interview and they said decisions would not go out until May? Anyone else hear anything?

I had my final interview a few weeks ago and they said that decisions would be made around the middle to end of April. The only thing that bothers me about that is that the bar application fees skyrocket around that time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm

I interviewed last week and they said beginning of May. I think the second bar deadline for Illinois is April 1st. I agree the bar late fees are a lot after April 1st. I do not know why the interviewing process takes so long! Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am

Does anyone know if you get an offer do you start working in November? I have been hearing a lot about a wait list and new hires having to wait awhile before they start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:11 am

You start working as soon as you're sworn in as an attorney, generally early November. I've heard some ASAs can start in appeals before they're sworn in, doing clerk-type stuff. This year, they took a bunch of people from the waitlist in December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:29 am

Thanks for the information. I think job notifications go out in May. December really is not that much longer to wait if you are on the wait list. Do you think they have finished with all third round interviews? Do you know how many offers will go out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 am

Number of offers depends on the budget. I haven't heard any specifics. They seem to be a bit ahead of schedule compared to last year though, so it could (hopefully) be earlier than May. 3rd rounds appear to be finished.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:00 am

Thanks for the information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 am

Has anyone seen any movement? Ive heard they will be informing us anywhere from late March to early/mid May. How will they be informing us about hiring/ not hiring? If we are not selected, do they let us know we were not selected? Sorry for the choppy post. Doing this from my iPhone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm

I am also interested in this. Does anyone know anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Curious as well as to whether anyone knows HOW CCSAO sends out offers. Do they place phone calls? e-mails? Letter through post office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious as well as to whether anyone knows HOW CCSAO sends out offers. Do they place phone calls? e-mails? Letter through post office?

If they're anything like other offices, they'll give you a call if they intend to offer you a position, and those who don't make the cut will receive a ding letter. They said during the interview that they extended offers to everyone on their wait list, so don't despair if you don't hear anything from them initially.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm

So I am really keeping my fingers crossed for an ASA position, despite the odds. Does anyone have any information regarding the Wait List? Do they notify candidates on the WL? Or, do you just never hear anything? Any information is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:31 pm

I talked to a current ASA who told me that CCSAO extends offers only by placing phone calls now. In addition, I've been told by numerous people that they tend to hire everyone off the wait list eventually.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Thank you for the information. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will you please post if you get the call?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:30 pm

I have not heard anything since my final interview in February. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything or if anyone knows about when offers are going out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have not heard anything since my final interview in February. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything or if anyone knows about when offers are going out?

They're probably making their decisions now and compiling their offer list and WL. We should be hearing something back from the office in the next week or two. If anyone gets a ding letter or a phone call, can they report back to this thread?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:15 pm

This waiting is awful!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

The wait is awful. Everyday when I go to my mail box, I hold my breath hoping that I do not have a rejection letter. Please post if you receive offer, WL or Ding. Good Luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Just wondering: where did you guys send any updated transcripts/resumes? I e-mailed it to them and asked for a confirmation that they received it, but they never responded.

Return to “Legal Employment”