Cook County SAO Round 1

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cook County SAO Round 1

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am

Not much talk on TLS about Cook County. Anyone else have a round 1 interview coming up in two weeks? For those of you who've already been through the process, have any advice?

red shirt guy

Re: Cook County SAO Round 1

Postby red shirt guy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 am

I did it a couple years ago and the first round is very easy, especially if you've worked there in the summer. No hypos, just general questions about stuff on the resume if I recall. I think it lasted like 15 or 20 minutes tops.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:49 pm

I have one as well. From the phone call I received, it sounded like they're doing the entire first round that first week after thanksgiving.

Anyone know how many rounds there are?

red shirt guy

Postby red shirt guy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Geist13 wrote:I have one as well. From the phone call I received, it sounded like they're doing the entire first round that first week after thanksgiving.

Anyone know how many rounds there are?

I believe there are 4 rounds. However, if you are an out of state applicant, they will not bring you in for the 2nd round--you have to make it to the 3rd round based on your credentials and your first round. I did my first round at the end of my summer there, and this was a few years ago, so it is possible things are now different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm

There are 3 rounds.

If you clerked for the office, get your supervisors to call for you. If you never clerked for the office and you're not a URM. . . good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are 3 rounds.

If you clerked for the office, get your supervisors to call for you. If you never clerked for the office and you're not a URM. . . good luck.

Any word on the "no second round" for our of staters?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Two rounds for out-of-staters. Your first round is the same time as in-staters' second round . . . which by the way is right around now. The next and last round is in February/March. Offers in early May.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:00 am

I am an out of state person and I have a second round interview this month. I received a call last week. ??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:31 pm

what is their stance on having a DUI? i know some places are willing to look beyond it and for some it is an automatic ding but because there seems to be an insider itt, i figured i would ask.

i know tcr, is, oc, apply and find out but i figured i would ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is their stance on having a DUI? i know some places are willing to look beyond it and for some it is an automatic ding but because there seems to be an insider itt, i figured i would ask.

i know tcr, is, oc, apply and find out but i figured i would ask.

I'm actually not quite sure about that. They might be willing to look past it if you had significant positive experience with the office and/or were a URM, but even then they have plenty of those types of applicants without DUIs to choose from. So it might be a bit of an uphill battle.

Anyone have their 2nd round yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Yes. I believe all second round interviews happened last week. I would love to work in Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes. I believe all second round interviews happened last week. I would love to work in Chicago.

Care to share any details? Who interviewed you? What kinds of questions did they ask?

I'm also kinda curious as to why Cook County gets almost no attention on this board even though it's such a huge office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. I believe all second round interviews happened last week. I would love to work in Chicago.

Care to share any details? Who interviewed you? What kinds of questions did they ask?

I'm also kinda curious as to why Cook County gets almost no attention on this board even though it's such a huge office.

None of the other big offices get attention on this board. It's either NYDA or bust. Cook County is definitely considered one of the "premier" offices in the country. I do know that unlike NYDA, other NYC offices and Miami, you do not get real "trial" experience for several years as everyone starts in appeals. That's probably the biggest reason I chose another office over Cook County.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Don't freak out everyone. I know someone who years ago worked for the Cook County office and she graduated from Cooley.

This is nothing to freak out about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

None of the other big offices get attention on this board. It's either NYDA or bust. Cook County is definitely considered one of the "premier" offices in the country. I do know that unlike NYDA, other NYC offices and Miami, you do not get real "trial" experience for several years as everyone starts in appeals. That's probably the biggest reason I chose another office over Cook County.

Actually, 1st assignment is either Appeals, Child Support, or Misdemeanors. I'm pretty sure the Misdemeanors ASAs get plenty of trial experience, although granted it's misdemeanor stuff.

And FWIW, Chicago has plenty of violent crime to go around. So once you do start trying felony cases, you can try a lot of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm

I am interviewing with this office in February, just confirmed the date earlier this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am interviewing with this office in February, just confirmed the date earlier this week.

Is this your third round? Are you out of state?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm

What round are you interviewing for? Are you having a second round interview or third round interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this your third round? Are you out of state?

Second interview, out of state (Massachusetts).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Good Luck. I have my third round interview next week. I am also out of state, but not as far as you are. Good Luck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:33 pm

3rd round was really basic. No hypos or weird questions. Anyone else have theirs? Anyone get a sense of when decisions will be made or how many they're hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks for the update. I have my interview this week. I heard from a friend that May is when decisions will go out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Oh God. I interned there one summer and it was the worst work experience I've ever had.

This, from a person who worked at McDonald's as a 14-year old, is quite an honor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Why was your internship experience so poor?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:59 pm

I worked on the delinquency side at juvenile. The idea of "balanced and restorative justice" was a farce and the staff really did not seem to care about helping to rehabilitate youth. Rather, they were the typical gunners I didn't expect them to be and certainly hoped they wouldn't be, trying to prove how badass they are for when they moved up to felonies eventually.

Some of the staff was cool but honestly it was a hostile, unfriendly environment overall.

Return to “Legal Employment”