Spring break opportunity - - valuable or not? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Spring break opportunity - - valuable or not?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi guys,

1L here. I had one year between undergrad and law school, and am trying to find legal experience to round out my 1L year. Would it be beneficial to do a spring break pro bono program? My law school sends students to another state to provide legal aid for low-income individuals (some even end up in court over it).

I was wondering if this would look good on a resume or at least as a good interview topic, or if it would not be valuable at all.

Thanks!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Spring break opportunity - - valuable or not?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys,

1L here. I had one year between undergrad and law school, and am trying to find legal experience to round out my 1L year. Would it be beneficial to do a spring break pro bono program? My law school sends students to another state to provide legal aid for low-income individuals (some even end up in court over it).

I was wondering if this would look good on a resume or at least as a good interview topic, or if it would not be valuable at all.

Thanks!
Yes and more importantly helping people is a good thing to do.. I plan on doing a spring break trip this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Did a 1L pro bono trip to New Orleans. It was fun and rewarding.

It also helped me land a 2L internship in the DOJ's Civil Rights Division. The DOJ has been doing some high-profile work in New Orleans, and while what I did down there was unrelated, I ended up talking about the post-Katrina justice system for my entire interview. This is an extreme case, but sometimes you end up really glad you did something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did a 1L pro bono trip to New Orleans. It was fun and rewarding.

It also helped me land a 2L internship in the DOJ's Civil Rights Division. The DOJ has been doing some high-profile work in New Orleans, and while what I did down there was unrelated, I ended up talking about the post-Katrina justice system for my entire interview. This is an extreme case, but sometimes you end up really glad you did something.
The one I was inquiring about is actually in New Orleans as well. I wanted to do it anyways, but was hoping it would also look great on my resume. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”