What to do with 2L Summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to do with 2L Summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Top 25% at regionally dominant T2 school.

Interned 1L summer with state district court judge, civil docket. Currently interning for non-profit corporation under supervision of GC.

This semester I had an epiphany about what I wanted to do with my legal career. I have always been interested in civil rights, but recognized the reality of loans / getting value out of law school, so repressed that interest and focused this semester on commercial / corporate transactional. Well, it turns out this semester I've come to the understanding that there's no way I want to take anymore classes in that area (bored to tears) and I certainly don't want a lifetime of transactional work. I know now that I want to litigate, and I would prefer to "take it to the man" while doing so.

I think I can adhere to these interests and still make money by focusing in the areas of employment, 1983 tort claims, and hopefully class actions / mass torts / antitrust if I ever got the opportunity (I realize not likely anytime soon with my stats / school). I am interested in possibly being a PD simply to gain trial / litigation experience before moving into the civil area where I am more interested.

While it's motivating to know what I want to do, I feel like I wasted a semester taking classes and an internship I'm not interested in. I guess better now than 3L year. The PD's office summer applications were due Oct. 1, before I came to this realization. I know most plaintiffs firms are smaller with highly experienced lawyers and do not take many interns / young associates.

The big, ugly question now is, what the hell can I do with my summer that is accessible and will advance my career interests? Does anyone have any ideas? I am kind of at a loss. Are there any relevant gov't agencies I haven't thought of?

wuduhel

Re: What to do with 2L Summer?

Postby wuduhel » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Find a job. Any job.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Look for local legal aid programs? These are distinct from the PD's office, and are usually so strapped for cash/resources that they're happy to take help from anyone, without much of an elaborate application process. Some focus on particular demographics, like immigrants or veterans or that kind of thing. Your local bar association will probably have links to these groups on its web page. You might also look for sections of the local bar association relevant to your interests or other related legal professional associations and join those and talk to people. (There's a plaintiff-side employment law association that I'm told is good.)

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Find an organization that litigates in areas of law that matter to you and ask if you can do a volunteer internship for them. You could also try this next semester and see if you can stay on for the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm

If you're interested in civil rights litigation, you should also definitely reach out to your nearest NLG/ACLU/etc. chapters to try to get involved with groups that many civil rights attorneys are members of (and thereby network). Not to mention, it'll be good for your sense of morale and your sense of the feasibility of your path to get to know many like-minded people.

Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”