Decline offer- say where you're going (gov/firm)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Decline offer- say where you're going (gov/firm)?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 pm

2L here. Got two offers recently, one for a government internship, one for one of those unicorn mid-law firms in my home state. I accepted the firm and declined the government internship. I really hit it off with the gov interviewer and I did have a genuine interest in the organization (I worked in a gov internship during 1L), but ultimately, I wanted to at least try a firm once/want to get paid/am more comfortable with a solid chance of a full-time offer rather than dealing with hiring freezes. The gov contact responded with a really nice email and asked what I'll be doing this summer. Is it ok to say my reasons above? For some reason I feel like a jerk about it because I was all gov/serving people a few weeks ago and now I'm headed to a firm. Am I overanalyzing again?

patrickd139

Re: Decline offer- say where you're going (gov/firm)?

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here. Got two offers recently, one for a government internship, one for one of those unicorn mid-law firms in my home state. I accepted the firm and declined the government internship. I really hit it off with the gov interviewer and I did have a genuine interest in the organization (I worked in a gov internship during 1L), but ultimately, I wanted to at least try a firm once/want to get paid/am more comfortable with a solid chance of a full-time offer rather than dealing with hiring freezes. The gov contact responded with a really nice email and asked what I'll be doing this summer. Is it ok to say my reasons above? For some reason I feel like a jerk about it because I was all gov/serving people a few weeks ago and now I'm headed to a firm. Am I overanalyzing again?

Can you not split?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L here. Got two offers recently, one for a government internship, one for one of those unicorn mid-law firms in my home state. I accepted the firm and declined the government internship. I really hit it off with the gov interviewer and I did have a genuine interest in the organization (I worked in a gov internship during 1L), but ultimately, I wanted to at least try a firm once/want to get paid/am more comfortable with a solid chance of a full-time offer rather than dealing with hiring freezes. The gov contact responded with a really nice email and asked what I'll be doing this summer. Is it ok to say my reasons above? For some reason I feel like a jerk about it because I was all gov/serving people a few weeks ago and now I'm headed to a firm. Am I overanalyzing again?

Can you not split?

OP here- firm wants me there for 12 weeks. And I already turned down the gov offer anyway.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Completely OK to say that, and probably a good way to keep in touch going forward! In my experience attorneys were very understanding of such decisions, especially when $$$ was on the line (shakespeare got to get paid, son).

Return to “Legal Employment”