Rejecting internship offer from judge after accepting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rejecting internship offer from judge after accepting

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

2L, struck out at OCI even though I was in a fairly good position to get an SA position. I accepted a spring internship with a judge at the Court of International Trade. Just got an interview for an internship with a COA judge. I realize its a bit premature, since I didn't get the COA internship yet. However, if I do, would you recommend taking the COA position even though I already accepted the CIT position? FYI Im interested in possibly clerking after graduation, and I'm also interested in international law. Above all though, I want to be employed (obviously)

anon168

Re: Rejecting internship offer from judge after accepting

Postby anon168 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L, struck out at OCI even though I was in a fairly good position to get an SA position. I accepted a spring internship with a judge at the Court of International Trade. Just got an interview for an internship with a COA judge. I realize its a bit premature, since I didn't get the COA internship yet. However, if I do, would you recommend taking the COA position even though I already accepted the CIT position? FYI Im interested in possibly clerking after graduation, and I'm also interested in international law. Above all though, I want to be employed (obviously)

Sure, go ahead and do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Are you not early to be applying for judges for 2L summer, am I missing something... there are still SA's granted at this point (sure extremely rare, but they exist.) I think you should have mass-mailed. As to your question, can you try splitting your time if the two judges are in the same area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:05 pm

spring externship, not summer internship

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im interested in possibly clerking after graduation, and I'm also interested in international law. Above all though, I want to be employed (obviously)

I suspect what you do here (whether you renege or not and whether you work at the CIT or CoA) will have little to no influence on any of the above.

I personally think its dickish to renege since it's not like you're turning down unpaid/temp employment for paid/longterm employment. But as a counterpoint it's an externship so who cares.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Depends upon the judge; some are understanding, while others have long memories. I know one student who was approached twice after mock trial/moot court competitions by a federal judge & asked to apply for an intership/externship during the school year. The student waited a couple of months & the judge will not even acknowledge any communications. Of course, it doesn't really have significant consequences if you will not be practicing in that jurisdiction.

While reactions & consequences vary, just be direct, open & honest with the judge & hope for the best. However, be prepared if asked whether or not you've accepted any other positions when interviewing for the second position.

In short, there is no clear-cut answer. Do what you have to do & be prepared for any fallout. The one thing that you can & do control is how you do what you do.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Beware of how well-connected judges are (or, I guess, can be) with one another. I'm in a trial advocacy course taught by a local D.Ct. judge, and he knows a lot of the judges in the district where I'll be clerking even though it's across the country. The chances that the CIT judge knows judges with whom you'll eventually interview for clerkships are slim, and the chances that the interviewing judge will ever find out about you reneging even of they do know each other are slimmer, but you might be surprised by who knows whom in the judicial world.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Judges tend to socialize with one another & attend continuing judicial/legal education seminars together.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:23 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Judges tend to socialize with one another & attend continuing judicial/legal education seminars together.

Where they snarkily discuss the names of law school students who reneged on an unpaid internship.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 pm

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Judges tend to socialize with one another & attend continuing judicial/legal education seminars together.

Where they snarkily discuss the names of law school students who reneged on an unpaid internship.

It's not unheard of...

Return to “Legal Employment”