1L Summer Opportunities

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Opportunities

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:05 pm

I am hoping to clerk or work in a law firm during my 1L summer. I know I can't start contacting anyone until December 1, but on December 1, should I just mass mail all law firms and judges? Also, are summer positions usually full time or is it possible to do part-time?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

patrickd139

Re: 1L Summer Opportunities

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am hoping to clerk or work in a law firm during my 1L summer. I know I can't start contacting anyone until December 1, but on December 1, should I just mass mail all law firms and judges? Also, are summer positions usually full time or is it possible to do part-time?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Depends on what you've done to this point. If you have everything assembled, envelopes licked, and cover letters written, etc., then send it out December 1.

If you haven't started, or are somewhere in between, then I would suggest spending the time between now and finals studying. That will help the bottom line more than spending time mailing, as potential employers (especially firms) will almost assuredly want to see your grades before seriously considering you as a candidate.

thegrayman

Re: 1L Summer Opportunities

Postby thegrayman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 am

My advice as a 2L who had a tougher time than I expected landing a summer gig for 1L is to spam the hell out of applications during winter break. It sucks wasting your time off from school applying to summer jobs, but trust me it doesn't suck as much as having to continue the job search well into spring semester. I wouldn't waste any time on it now, focus on studying.

Return to “Legal Employment”