NYC -> UVa -> LA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

NYC -> UVa -> LA?

Postby uvabro » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Just wanted to know how hard it would be for somebody whose only lived in NYC to get to LA. I've vacationed in LA, and most of my friends moved out there but I've never moved out there but would like to spend my life there. I prefer security -> LA so wouldn't be opposed to NYC, but I know I'd be happier in LA (but not unhappy in NYC).

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: NYC -> UVa -> LA?

Postby thesealocust » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:50 pm

It certainly won't be impossible - people get jobs places where they have basically no "ties" every year, and not just in NYC. But it will be a tough sale; you'll almost certainly get fewer offers than if you targeted places you have ties.

beyond that it's impossible to say, the job hunt is incredibly individualized. No two people ever have the same experience, and a million variables (prior background, practice area interest, grades, personal demograpgics, personality / charisma / interviewing ability, the economy the year you apply in the locations you apply, etc.) all come together to make specifics difficult.

If you're a 22 year-old white male with median grades, no prior work experience of any kind, and a B.A. in sports medicine from a community college targeting generic ligitation firms, then your job hunt is going to suck no matter what but getting a gig in California is probably a non-starter. But if you're a 30 year-old published scientist gay female minority veteran who speaks spanish, arabic, french, and japanese with a top law school grades and a background in patent law as well as a technical undergraduate degree, the fact that you've never set foot in California isn't going to hinder your job hunt.

If you want to work in LA, you can always split your interviews between there and NYC. Don't be upfront about that, and try to respond honestly but incompletely (If an LA firm asks "where else are you applying" rattle of LA firms. If they ask "what other cities are you applying to" be honest but affirm your primary interest in Cali, etc.)

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: NYC -> UVa -> LA?

Postby uvabro » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:It certainly won't be impossible - people get jobs places where they have basically no "ties" every year, and not just in NYC. But it will be a tough sale; you'll almost certainly get fewer offers than if you targeted places you have ties.

beyond that it's impossible to say, the job hunt is incredibly individualized. No two people ever have the same experience, and a million variables (prior background, practice area interest, grades, personal demograpgics, personality / charisma / interviewing ability, the economy the year you apply in the locations you apply, etc.) all come together to make specifics difficult.

If you're a 22 year-old white male with median grades, no prior work experience of any kind, and a B.A. in sports medicine from a community college targeting generic ligitation firms, then your job hunt is going to suck no matter what but getting a gig in California is probably a non-starter. But if you're a 30 year-old published scientist gay female minority veteran who speaks spanish, arabic, french, and japanese with a top law school grades and a background in patent law as well as a technical undergraduate degree, the fact that you've never set foot in California isn't going to hinder your job hunt.

If you want to work in LA, you can always split your interviews between there and NYC. Don't be upfront about that, and try to respond honestly but incompletely (If an LA firm asks "where else are you applying" rattle of LA firms. If they ask "what other cities are you applying to" be honest but affirm your primary interest in Cali, etc.)

i'm somewhere in the middle, but not a minority nor gay. why would my sexuality matter? how would the firm know?

i want corporate.

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: NYC -> UVa -> LA?

Postby Heat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am

uvabro wrote:
thesealocust wrote:It certainly won't be impossible - people get jobs places where they have basically no "ties" every year, and not just in NYC. But it will be a tough sale; you'll almost certainly get fewer offers than if you targeted places you have ties.

beyond that it's impossible to say, the job hunt is incredibly individualized. No two people ever have the same experience, and a million variables (prior background, practice area interest, grades, personal demograpgics, personality / charisma / interviewing ability, the economy the year you apply in the locations you apply, etc.) all come together to make specifics difficult.

If you're a 22 year-old white male with median grades, no prior work experience of any kind, and a B.A. in sports medicine from a community college targeting generic ligitation firms, then your job hunt is going to suck no matter what but getting a gig in California is probably a non-starter. But if you're a 30 year-old published scientist gay female minority veteran who speaks spanish, arabic, french, and japanese with a top law school grades and a background in patent law as well as a technical undergraduate degree, the fact that you've never set foot in California isn't going to hinder your job hunt.

If you want to work in LA, you can always split your interviews between there and NYC. Don't be upfront about that, and try to respond honestly but incompletely (If an LA firm asks "where else are you applying" rattle of LA firms. If they ask "what other cities are you applying to" be honest but affirm your primary interest in Cali, etc.)

i'm somewhere in the middle, but not a minority nor gay. why would my sexuality matter? how would the firm know?

i want corporate.


There are things you can do to show the firm your gay which presumably leads to you being "diverse". (Such as joining a gay rights society, dropping the name of your same sex domestic partner, etc.)

Thesealocust's advice is better then mine but I'd say barring you having really strong work experience and good grades trying to hit a market you don't have ties to is tough. Also, there is a significant contingent of people who are from California that want to go back there. There is nothing to say you can't do it, its just unlikely to be any manner of easy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC -> UVa -> LA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Anecdotally, more people than you might expect at UVA are from California and interested in going back. If they beat you on the curve, it's definitely going to be an uphill battle. Also anecdotally, I know a few people above median from the New York area who struggled to find something in New York. It's all going to depend on your grades, but if you're not a grade-on, I would err on the side of playing it safe with your bids. Now you should be focusing on grades, but when the time comes, definitely develop a thoughtful and coherent story for why you want to go there. OCS can help.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: NYC -> UVa -> LA?

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:26 pm

If i were you, I'd 1L summer in LA, then think about doing a visiting student fall semester 2L at USC/UCLA, but then still really primarily do the LA job search outside of OCI (attending job fairs, massmailing, etc).

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: NYC -> UVa -> LA?

Postby bk1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 pm

+1 on summering in LA. I don't think splitting between LA and NYC come 2L OCI will be that big a detriment. Obviously don't tell them that, but I suspect that through massmailing and your OCI bids going for a 2nd city isn't going to hurt your chances in NYC.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: NYC -> UVa -> LA?

Postby desertlaw » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 pm

IAFG wrote:If i were you, I'd 1L summer in LA, then think about doing a visiting student fall semester 2L at USC/UCLA, but then still really primarily do the LA job search outside of OCI (attending job fairs, massmailing, etc).


This. Get a pro-bono public interest type thing in LA your 1L summer. That way during 2L OGI, you can tell people that you "tried out LA and loved it." It's honest and it worked for me.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.