Resume "Interests Section"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:54 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
dingbat wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Um, forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, but I would totally put this stuff on a resume over the interests section.

His resume already screams military - leaving that off won't make a big difference (believe it or not)

Ah, I get it! never mind. :)

(probably the one major advantage of being non-trad / old)

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:58 am

dingbat wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Perfect!

OK, in order to put in the interests section I had to leave off that I went to Army Airborne School at and was the first 2LT selected to fly the B-1B supersonic bomber. My resume will most certainly have more than what I did 1L summer and why I didn't want to do LR.

Um, forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, but I would totally put this stuff on a resume over the interests section.

His resume already screams military - leaving that off won't make a big difference (believe it or not)

JC is pretty darned amazing. I imagine his resume will attract a LOT of attention. :D

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22836
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:07 pm

dingbat wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
dingbat wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Um, forgive me if I'm missing a joke or something, but I would totally put this stuff on a resume over the interests section.

His resume already screams military - leaving that off won't make a big difference (believe it or not)

Ah, I get it! never mind. :)

(probably the one major advantage of being non-trad / old)

Ha, I know how that goes! (not military - but old. :P Can certainly improve my resume, but at least there's always lots to talk about!)

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby 20160810 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 pm

One of the best choices I've ever made was putting fantasy football on my personal interests list. It comes up every single time my interviewer is a bro.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby keg411 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:44 pm

SBL wrote:One of the best choices I've ever made was putting fantasy football on my personal interests list. It comes up every single time my interviewer is a bro.


Caveat: Don't do this if you're a girl. I got yelled at for this by a mock interviewer/biglaw partner and so I took it off (but when I had it on, only one person asked me about it).

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby 20160810 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:47 pm

keg411 wrote:
SBL wrote:One of the best choices I've ever made was putting fantasy football on my personal interests list. It comes up every single time my interviewer is a bro.


Caveat: Don't do this if you're a girl. I got yelled at for this by a mock interviewer/biglaw partner and so I took it off (but when I had it on, only one person asked me about it).

Why? I feel like if you really know your stuff and can talk about it this is even better to have on your resume if you're a girl

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby keg411 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:59 pm

SBL wrote:
keg411 wrote:
SBL wrote:One of the best choices I've ever made was putting fantasy football on my personal interests list. It comes up every single time my interviewer is a bro.


Caveat: Don't do this if you're a girl. I got yelled at for this by a mock interviewer/biglaw partner and so I took it off (but when I had it on, only one person asked me about it).

Why? I feel like if you really know your stuff and can talk about it this is even better to have on your resume if you're a girl


Because no one will ask you about it, so you can't show that you know your stuff. I went through all of OCI with it in my resume and only one person (an associate) asked me about it. Maybe it was just my interviewers and was luck, but after the mock, I decided it was just better to be safe then sorry.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:17 pm

SBL wrote:
keg411 wrote:
SBL wrote:One of the best choices I've ever made was putting fantasy football on my personal interests list. It comes up every single time my interviewer is a bro.


Caveat: Don't do this if you're a girl. I got yelled at for this by a mock interviewer/biglaw partner and so I took it off (but when I had it on, only one person asked me about it).

Why? I feel like if you really know your stuff and can talk about it this is even better to have on your resume if you're a girl

I agree with this. (If I were interviewing you, I'd ask!)

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby keg411 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:36 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
SBL wrote:
keg411 wrote:
SBL wrote:One of the best choices I've ever made was putting fantasy football on my personal interests list. It comes up every single time my interviewer is a bro.


Caveat: Don't do this if you're a girl. I got yelled at for this by a mock interviewer/biglaw partner and so I took it off (but when I had it on, only one person asked me about it).

Why? I feel like if you really know your stuff and can talk about it this is even better to have on your resume if you're a girl

I agree with this. (If I were interviewing you, I'd ask!)


Well, you're a 3L and not an interviewer; I think a partner who has done OCI interviewers probably knows better in this situation than you or I do, and that is why I'm giving this advice. I am going by my experience and I was asked by one out of many interviewers (through OCI and several CB's where I had it listed on my resume). Prior to having the mock interview and to having only one person ask, I would've thought the same thing as you and SBL.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby rad lulz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:39 pm

SBL wrote:One of the best choices I've ever made was putting fantasy football on my personal interests list. It comes up every single time my interviewer is a bro.

+1

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm

keg411 wrote:
Well, you're a 3L and not an interviewer; I think a partner who has done OCI interviewers probably knows better in this situation than you or I do, and that is why I'm giving this advice. I am going by my experience and I was asked by one out of many interviewers (through OCI and several CB's where I had it listed on my resume). Prior to having the mock interview and to having only one person ask, I would've thought the same thing as you and SBL.

Out of curiosity, the person/partner who told you not to put this on your resume: was this a male person?
(Also, I was asked about my interests exactly once throughout all of OCI/CBs so I kind of think not being asked is the norm.)

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby drmguy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 pm

The only responses I got from fly fishing and photography were how common it was that day. No one wanted to talk about either. Several interviewers wanted to talk about rock climbing, but nearly everyone seemed concerned about it being dangerous.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm

drmguy wrote:The only responses I got from fly fishing and photography were how common it was that day. No one wanted to talk about either. Several interviewers wanted to talk about rock climbing, but nearly everyone seemed concerned about it being dangerous.

Ya, that's very similar to the one question I got.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby keg411 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:07 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Well, you're a 3L and not an interviewer; I think a partner who has done OCI interviewers probably knows better in this situation than you or I do, and that is why I'm giving this advice. I am going by my experience and I was asked by one out of many interviewers (through OCI and several CB's where I had it listed on my resume). Prior to having the mock interview and to having only one person ask, I would've thought the same thing as you and SBL.

Out of curiosity, the person/partner who told you not to put this on your resume: was this a male person?
(Also, I was asked about my interests exactly once throughout all of OCI/CBs so I kind of think not being asked is the norm.)


Yes, it was a male. And once I put a "girlier" interest on there, I got asked about it multiple times.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:09 pm

keg411 wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Well, you're a 3L and not an interviewer; I think a partner who has done OCI interviewers probably knows better in this situation than you or I do, and that is why I'm giving this advice. I am going by my experience and I was asked by one out of many interviewers (through OCI and several CB's where I had it listed on my resume). Prior to having the mock interview and to having only one person ask, I would've thought the same thing as you and SBL.

Out of curiosity, the person/partner who told you not to put this on your resume: was this a male person?
(Also, I was asked about my interests exactly once throughout all of OCI/CBs so I kind of think not being asked is the norm.)


Yes, it was a male. And once I put a "girlier" interest on there, I got asked about it multiple times.

*sigh* Yeah. I was kind of afraid of that. I know I'm overly-sensitive to it but that stuff makes me sad.
Welp, I'LL talk to you about fantasy football any time! :D

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:10 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
keg411 wrote:Yes, it was a male. And once I put a "girlier" interest on there, I got asked about it multiple times.
*sigh* Yeah. I was kind of afraid of that. I know I'm overly-sensitive to it but that stuff makes me sad.
Welp, I'LL talk to you about fantasy football any time! :D

And I'll be happy to defer any and all such questions to either of you

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:16 pm

dingbat wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
keg411 wrote:Yes, it was a male. And once I put a "girlier" interest on there, I got asked about it multiple times.
*sigh* Yeah. I was kind of afraid of that. I know I'm overly-sensitive to it but that stuff makes me sad.
Welp, I'LL talk to you about fantasy football any time! :D

And I'll be happy to defer any and all such questions to either of you


Me too, not a clue about anything to do with FF.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:26 pm

JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:And I'll be happy to defer any and all such questions to either of you


Me too, not a clue about anything to do with FF.

I recently learned that one of the more manly men I know can probably operate a sewing machine about 100x better than I can. I love that. :)

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:28 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:And I'll be happy to defer any and all such questions to either of you


Me too, not a clue about anything to do with FF.

I recently learned that one of the more manly men I know can probably operate a sewing machine about 100x better than I can. I love that. :)


I cook well if that counts for anything.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:29 pm

JCFindley wrote:
I cook well if that counts for anything.

Most definitely.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:And I'll be happy to defer any and all such questions to either of you


Me too, not a clue about anything to do with FF.

I recently learned that one of the more manly men I know can probably operate a sewing machine about 100x better than I can. I love that. :)

I learned to sew stuff when I was a little kid and can do it better than anyone else in my entire family (except my brother, but he stitches clothing back together)

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Last time I sewed anything was when some Podunk Sheriff was chasing me up in the mountains in the PNW.

Image

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:49 pm

JCFindley wrote:Last time I sewed anything was when some Podunk Sheriff was chasing me up in the mountains in the PNW.

Image

I have actually used superglue to fix some wounds - but now we're seriously beginning to derail this thread

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 pm

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Last time I sewed anything was when some Podunk Sheriff was chasing me up in the mountains in the PNW.

Image

I have actually used superglue to fix some wounds - but now we're seriously beginning to derail this thread


My thread, derail at your leisure. I pretty much got my answers early on. Though, maybe I will replace my interests section with an "interesting military training" section or perhaps state outright that I am not in fact human but rather a cyborg. (dental fillings make it true.)

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Resume "Interests Section"

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 pm

JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Last time I sewed anything was when some Podunk Sheriff was chasing me up in the mountains in the PNW.

Image

I have actually used superglue to fix some wounds - but now we're seriously beginning to derail this thread


My thread, derail at your leisure. I pretty much got my answers early on. Though, maybe I will replace my interests section with an "interesting military training" section or perhaps state outright that I am not in fact human but rather a cyborg. (dental fillings make it true.)

I once met someone with a camera-eyeball (seriously)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.