Law School v. Sales Job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law School v. Sales Job

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:14 am

I know this isn't "legal employment" per se, but I need to use the anonymous feature.

I have been offered a sales job at a Fortune Global 500 company paying a 45K base salary plus commissions. I have been admitted to several of the lower T14. My ultimate goal in life is simple: to make as much money as possible. Is the legal economy so bad that I should hang back at my sales job and get an MBA in two or three years? Will this lead to the same kind of economic opportunities as a career in law? What is the best option here?

DCDuck

Re: Law School v. Sales Job

Postby DCDuck » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 am

Your chances of making a lot of money are better in business than in law. A lot of law jobs, if you're lucky enough to get a law job, pay about 45K, too, for most of them.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:37 am

Not enough information. Do you have the option of a full tuition scholarship to one of your targeted law schools ? Will you borrow a substantial part of your law school costs ? Is the job selling "Romney For President" related items ?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:47 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Not enough information. Do you have the option of a full tuition scholarship to one of your targeted law schools ? Will you borrow a substantial part of your law school costs ? Is the job selling "Romney For President" related items ?

The last question is especially important. One more: where is your sales job? $45k in Omaha is a fairly sweet starting point. In LA? Not so much.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:23 am

This is a question only you can answer because only you have the best gauge on what you want to do. Also, sometimes you think you’ll know what you want to do and you really don’t, so our advice could send you down the wrong path. I work in the business sector for a huge Fortune 1000 right now and trust me it’s not always what it’s cracked up to be. A lot of people are unhappy doing this as well. Therefore, what I think is most important is work that you will find most meaningful and fulfilling because how much money you make will be determined by your own drive, work ethic, and talent. From my life experiences and the people I’ve met who have risen through the ranks in business, if you were going to get rich doing business, then you will find a way to get rich doing law as well because the opportunities are present in both. It’s more so their character traits that made them successful and leapfrog everyone else.

Also, people on TLS frequently say that you have a “better chance” of making a lot of money in business than in law. I don’t think necessarily true. What is true is that you have a higher “ceiling” in business than in law, but on average I would take the T-14 law degree if I wanted the best chance of getting rich. There are a lot of M7 MBAs floating around making “only” $100-150k well into their 30s and 40s. On the other hand, there are a lot of them that are CEOs of major companies as well and make $10M+. I truly believe though that on average T6 grad biglawyers make more money throughout their career than M7 MBA grads.

With all that said, since you’re main goal is to make as much money, ask yourself this one question: Would you rather grind it out to get rich in biglaw or grind it out to get rich in business? And you’ll have your answer.

Return to “Legal Employment”