C&F Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

C&F Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm

I have a years old misdemeanor arrest for essentially public intoxication. I am obviously going to disclose, but I have no records about it. I went to court, the charge was dropped, and I had it expunged. For the life of me I can't find the name of the local lawyer I used. I don't even know the exact date or the actual charge.

So, what to do? Can I call the criminal court clerk? The police? What if I can't find anything -- what do I put on the c&f?

The Duck

Re: C&F Question

Postby The Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Try the police or the county clerk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

The Duck wrote:Try the police or the county clerk.

I've already searched their online database of court records, to no avail. Will they have more that they can give me over the phone? For a fee or something, just based on my name and the month/year (I have no idea the day)?

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The Duck wrote:Try the police or the county clerk.

I've already searched their online database of court records, to no avail. Will they have more that they can give me over the phone? For a fee or something, just based on my name and the month/year (I have no idea the day)?

It won't be online because its expunged. Call their records people and explain the problem. They have ways of releasing their arrest report, etc. At a minimum, they can tell you where to get it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:59 pm

I had a similar situation and was told by my attorney that I wouldn't be able to get any records from the court. He said to go to the police department for the arrest record.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a similar situation and was told by my attorney that I wouldn't be able to get any records from the court. He said to go to the police department for the arrest record.

And? Did you actually have to go, or is a phone call enough?

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a similar situation and was told by my attorney that I wouldn't be able to get any records from the court. He said to go to the police department for the arrest record.

And? Did you actually have to go, or is a phone call enough?

This will vary greatly by department. Call them, and they will tell you if you need to go and what you need to bring along. Sometimes you can do by notarized request, etc. by mail if outside the area.

They are very unlikely to give you any information by telephone even without an expungement for liability reasons. They have no way of verifying your identity over the phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm the anonymous above

I didn't actually end up needing to disclose, it was involved with non-law job applications at the time.

I think calling and asking first is your best bet, for the reasons the Duck said.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 am

OP -- you wouldn't happen to go to law school in FL would you?

Return to “Legal Employment”