SA Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:48 pm

So I know it's early to be asking this but I was just asked to be best man in my friend's wedding next summer which means I will need to be available for the rehearsal dinner the Friday night before. The wedding is in a city that is about a four hour drive from where I'll be working. From people's experiences is it likely I would be able to work something out with the firm so that I could maybe leave a half day early for this? I know it depends on the firm, but I hate the idea of walking in on the first day and explaining I need a day or half day off.

ph14

Gold

Re: SA Question

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I know it's early to be asking this but I was just asked to be best man in my friend's wedding next summer which means I will need to be available for the rehearsal dinner the Friday night before. The wedding is in a city that is about a four hour drive from where I'll be working. From people's experiences is it likely I would be able to work something out with the firm so that I could maybe leave a half day early for this? I know it depends on the firm, but I hate the idea of walking in on the first day and explaining I need a day or half day off.
At my firm you got one paid day off during the summer. If your firm is the same, you could use your day off for the rehearsal. If you don't get a day off, you probably could just talk to people and leave early. I know of some summers who did this at my firm for much worse reasons than a wedding rehearsal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:58 pm

At the V50 (major market) I worked at this past summer, this would not be a problem at all. Especially if you let the folks in charge know at the beginning of the summer. Only problem I can foresee is if they scheduled a big summer event on that day (like some sort of workshop, etc.), but even still, should be okay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:10 pm

I missed the big office weekend retreat at a V50 when I was a 1L SA. There were only 5 summers so it was tough to ask. It was to attend a best friends rehearsal dinner when I was the wedding. They were very understanding but i told them at the very beginning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 am

OP here, thanks for the replies. I kind of figured that this was the case but wanted to get some perspective.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:58 am

I had this same issue for a college reunion at my V20 DC. I emailed the HR person before the summer started and she said that it shouldn't be a problem at all and just to let the person I was working with at the time know in advance so they could insure I didn't get a conflicting deadline. As it turned out, no deadlines were impacted and I left at 11:00am on a Friday, missing a group lunch but nothing major.

I would do what I did and email HR in advance (though maybe after the New Year so it's not SO far out).

Good luck.

ETA: The firm did not have a "one free paid day" policy for SAs. They were just "good people" who were going to work with you on anything reasonable.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 am

I've seen several people do this. I doubt anyone even noticed their absence, though they all cleared it with HR in advance. None of the SAs who did this were among those no-offered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”