Question re: applying for a second clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question re: applying for a second clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm currently a 3L, and I'll be clerking judge next year after graduation. I'm strongly considering applying for a follow up clerkship in a different region, and my understanding is that I should probably start applying around March or April (possibly earlier) for competitive districts.

The problem is that this is all going to take place before I even start my first clerkship, which means that I will not be able to get a recommendation from my judge when I apply for the second clerkship. I was wondering if any current or former second-term clerks could provide some insight here. Is putting the judge's name on my resume going to be enough? Would it be appropriate for me to ask him to provide a reference?

anon168

Silver

Re: Question re: applying for a second clerkship

Post by anon168 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 3L, and I'll be clerking judge next year after graduation. I'm strongly considering applying for a follow up clerkship in a different region, and my understanding is that I should probably start applying around March or April (possibly earlier) for competitive districts.

The problem is that this is all going to take place before I even start my first clerkship, which means that I will not be able to get a recommendation from my judge when I apply for the second clerkship. I was wondering if any current or former second-term clerks could provide some insight here. Is putting the judge's name on my resume going to be enough? Would it be appropriate for me to ask him to provide a reference?
Yes, having that first clerkship speaks more than you can imagine.

Knowing that you've already been vetted by a colleague, tells your potential second clerkship judge that this person is more likely than not a good candidate.

And, trust me, whether you ask for a reference, there is nothing that will stop a judge from calling your first clerkship judge and asking about you. These are judges, after all.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Yes, just having the first clerkship on there helps. My current judge repeatedly referred to my first clerkship when I interviewed (and then after I got the job), even though I hadn't done a day of work on it yet. I'm quite sure he doesn't know the first judge, either - it's just that he knew I'd have that useful experience by the time I showed up in his chambers. So no, don't ask your first judge for a reference (unless s/he actually knows your work from something other than your application - like if you interned for them already). But you won't really need to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:27 pm

OP here. This is reassuring to hear. Thanks for the replies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”