So...criminal background check time.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

So...criminal background check time.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Here's the deal. When I was 16 I scraped a car's bumper while backing out of a driveway. I didn't think I left any damage as I was going 1 mph so I drove off. Cops came to my house and gave me a citation of some sort (don't remember what) and took my license and said I needed to pay a $100 fine to get it back (they gave me some sort of document I could drive with in the meantime). I paid the fine in court 2 weeks later and got my license back. End of story.

So this was like 9 years ago and I was a minor. I don't know if I am disclosing this on my criminal background check but the way the question is worded it seems like I have to unless the offense has been expunged after the number of years had passed cause I was a minor. Can I call the police station and say this happened 9 years ago and I want them to check in on whether its in the records? Should I pay for an online criminal background check myself to see if it gets a hit and if that comes back clean then don't disclose? Should I just disclose?

I'm past the last round of interviews at a few PD/DA offices and I am worried that if I check the box and write the page explaining they'll just ding me automatically.

dreakol

Re: So...criminal background check time.

Postby dreakol » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 pm

lol just lol

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Stop being such a bitch. If you are required to disclose, then disclose.

SammyJ

Postby SammyJ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Just disclose. You probably have to anyway, and it's very doubtful that this will disqualify you from consideration anyway. It'll be much worse if you don't disclose and they find out that you didn't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:11 pm

do minor criminal infractions usually lead to a ding for PD/DA?

Agent

Postby Agent » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:09 am

I cannot imagine this causing problems for you. Just disclose.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do minor criminal infractions usually lead to a ding for PD/DA?

Good you went anonymous.

OP, you are exactly whats wrong with the world. Disclose. Yes, you CAN call the police station and they will give you information as to what is/is not on your record. You can also request a copy of your driving record from the DMV to see what is listed on that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Disclose in a brief, but open & honest manner; the police would not have chased you down, ticketed you & taken your license if there was no damage. Also, you probably wouldn't have paid the fine without any damage assuming that you were not charged with battery on a parked car. In short, don't let your explanation make you look worse than the infraction suggests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:18 pm

OP here. Matter has been resolved. I'm an idiot and read the question wrong, the application explicitly says you do not need to disclose summary traffic violations. Thanks for the help though.

SammyJ

Postby SammyJ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Matter has been resolved. I'm an idiot and read the question wrong, the application explicitly says you do not need to disclose summary traffic violations. Thanks for the help though.

Just make sure that your violation is really considered a "summary traffic violation." I'm not saying it's not, but you made it seem like you got the ticket for driving away from the scene of an accident, not for hitting the guy's bumper. Good luck either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:27 pm

SammyJ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Matter has been resolved. I'm an idiot and read the question wrong, the application explicitly says you do not need to disclose summary traffic violations. Thanks for the help though.

Just make sure that your violation is really considered a "summary traffic violation." I'm not saying it's not, but you made it seem like you got the ticket for driving away from the scene of an accident, not for hitting the guy's bumper. Good luck either way.

The way I see it is it is by definition a summary traffic violation cause the next grade is misdemeanor and if I had a misdemeanor it certainly wouldn't have been cleared up by me throwing a hundred dollar bill at a cashier and walking away.

SammyJ

Postby SammyJ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SammyJ wrote:

The way I see it is it is by definition a summary traffic violation cause the next grade is misdemeanor and if I had a misdemeanor it certainly wouldn't have been cleared up by me throwing a hundred dollar bill at a cashier and walking away.

Fair enough. I won't claim to know one way or another.

Return to “Legal Employment”