Alumni clerkship hiring timeline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Alumni clerkship hiring timeline

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Looking to do a clerkship asap, but my school is very vague about when alums should apply. I know the plan doesn't apply, but how early is too early if I wanted a fall 2014 clerkship.

Thanks!

zomginternets

Re: Alumni clerkship hiring timeline

Postby zomginternets » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 pm

For clerkships starting the fall of 2014, I would suggest applying in January or so. Off-plan judges start interviewing 2Ls as early as April/May in some places, and you want to be well ahead of them. I externed for a COA judge that hired off-plan, and he had applications for the 2013 cycle coming in as early as February 2012.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks, zomg.

A logistical question:

How do you deal with recommenders when you're applying on a piecemeal basis?

If I plan to apply immediately to any judge that pops up with an opening, do I just need to annoy my recommender each time? Or is there an easier way?

Also, last Q for now: where can I find out which judges are off plan?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, zomg.

A logistical question:

How do you deal with recommenders when you're applying on a piecemeal basis?

If I plan to apply immediately to any judge that pops up with an opening, do I just need to annoy my recommender each time? Or is there an easier way?

Also, last Q for now: where can I find out which judges are off plan?

At least at my school, profs gave the letter to their faculty assistant (as a word file or whatever), and so you just had to tell the faculty assistant each time you were sending an application, and they'd send the LOR (customized to each judge - you had to give the assistant a word file with the judge's names/addresses so they could do a mail merge). So you had to bug the faculty assistant each time, but not the recommender. At least, that's how it worked for paper apps - if you're applying electronically, it depends on how your school/recommender has OSCAR set up. I think you have to request the letter through OSCAR, and the request goes either to the faculty assistant and the prof, or just the assistant. Ask your CSO - they should have a policy in place for dealing with this. But basically, you shouldn't have to bug the recommender directly each time.

(Though I suppose if you're using non-prof recommenders you might have to bug them each time - I would warn them about this and ask them what they want you to do about it.)

As for which judges hire early - there isn't any centralized warehouse of this info, as far as I know. Again, see what your CSO knows; my school's CSO had that info about all the judges in the Circuit where we're located, though not elsewhere. But we mostly place only locally - if your school places more nationally they may have more info.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:53 am

So should one use OSCAR, or do paper apps? I would be applying broadly, and I don't want to drop $1000 or more on postage.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:57 am

kalvano wrote:So should one use OSCAR, or do paper apps? I would be applying broadly, and I don't want to drop $1000 or more on postage.

As much as the postage thing sucks, I think paper apps are better - it's a lot easier to ding an OSCAR app without even really looking at it, whereas the paper app is there, right in front of them. I mean, sure, they can always pitch it without even opening it, but I think that's less likely than with OSCAR. That said, the judges who only want OSCAR still only want OSCAR. I sent all my apps as paper apps, and IIRC I think I got responses from a few judges telling me to resubmit through OSCAR. Anyway, I know it's anecdotal, but my current judge usually hires rising 3Ls on-plan through OSCAR, but looked at my (paper) app when I sent it in May, and hired me instead, so I tend to favor paper. I only sent out 20-30 apps, though (would have sent more if I hadn't got anything in that wave of apps) so the postage wasn't too awful. It does suck overall.

Return to “Legal Employment”