Orange County DA v. San Diego DA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Orange County DA v. San Diego DA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm trying to decide between the two. OC pays much more for their entry-levels and I think I'd rather live there. So here's my question: does anyone know about odds of 2L's getting permanent later on? Obviously you'll have to re-apply, but does anyone know how much either office pulls from their 2L clerks?

Anonymous User

Re: Orange County DA v. San Diego DA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:02 pm

bump

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:14 pm

I don't know the answer to your specific question but under their current "Fellows" program they hire recent graduates at like $50,000 flat - no bene's to act as quasi-DDA 1's - and then as gov. money becomes available they claim to hire first from the fellows - assuming they are competant - before hiring from the general population. So basically they raise the fellows up from mere fellows to DDA-1's.

Being a 2L clerk can only help your chances but I don't think they is currently a "path" whereby a 2L clerk is earmarked to be hired down the road. My knowledge comes from both the SD and OC fellows coming by my law school last year - and discussions I had with the OC rep. That's pretty much all I know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:40 pm

No clue for the OP's question.

arhmcpo is correct in that a number of DA offices do this practice.

If you think you are going to want to work for one of them or the other post-graduation, it helps. I can't speak for OC, but I spoke to a DDA did the SD post-bar route before getting hired in another county; supposedly SD can be stingy in upgrading from the post bar to full-DDA1 slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:19 pm

I have friends working at SDDA. There are very, very, very few positions (1-2/yr) and with the way things are going, there won't be any come next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks for the responses. Anyone know about OC specifically?

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:52 pm

SD DA also has a fellowship program already full of ppl who will be first selections when positions open up I would guess. I think the best thing you can do to distinguish yourself is to work for a DA office, get certified, and try cases. When youre "certified" you can do prelim trials, argue motions, and other basic DDA work. Try to find out from your school what branches of a DA are known to let students get more work because I know in LA some branches had a reputation for letting law students do a lot of trial work (compton) and others did not.

The fact that OC DA has had job postings for the general population recently, even though they already have a Fellows program, either means (1) their hiring need is large enough to go beyond the Fellows program or (2) they don't know their hiring needs yet and are developing a list of preferred candidates to contact when positions do open up.
I know when LA officially decided to hire a few months ago, they had a major job posting where they supposedly hired about 30 DDA's and received a 1000+ applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Has anyone heard back from the Orange County DA about their fellowship decisions yet? Should come this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:32 pm

--LinkRemoved--)

Apparently the evaluation is based on more than one's lawyering skills and fit.

Return to “Legal Employment”