Being a visiting student and future career implications Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Being a visiting student and future career implications

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:19 pm

I am a 2L at DNCG (arbitrary distinction, I know). I currently sit in the top 10% and have a 2L SA lined up. Due to some family circumstances, I have been granted permission to study closer to my family for my final year. The school I would be a visiting student at is way down the rankings (T2 or T3 depending on the whims of USNEWS), but the closest school to the family. I am wondering what the implications are for future career options if I choose to take the option.

If it matters, my GPA at my current school will not be affected by the grades during my visiting student year, but they will be on my transcript. I am looking to head into transactional work, wouldn't mind making partner, and in-house is always an option. Studying closer to the family is not required, as the issues currently going on require my attention on weekends only. So, currently it is a bitch to go home every weekend, but I get it done without affecting my school work. So staying at my current school for my third year is possible, but a headache.

If other information it required, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

zomginternets

Silver

Re: Being a visiting student and future career implications

Post by zomginternets » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:49 am

I have no experience with this, but here's my take. You will still get your degree from your current school, and you have already proved yourself as a top student at the top school. Moreover, you have a summer SA (presumably in biglaw) that will very likely turn into a full time offer. When lateraling, your work as an associate will count for 90-100%; 3L school/grades count for probably nothing. And in any event, you have a very good reason for completing your third year at the T2/T3, so I highly doubt anyone will count it against you. The only downside I can see is if you want a circuit court/SCOTUS clerkship, as you will miss out on LR board, and some snooty judges might leer at your T2/T3 school as not prestigious enough for them.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”