changing firms - letting people know

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

changing firms - letting people know

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I know I am going to be called an Aspie for asking this question, but I am actually uncertain about how to handle this. I worked at one firm this past summer and got offered but reinterviewed and got an offer at a different firm, which I took. I called my first firm and let them know, but the other summers in my class don't know yet. I've run into summers from my school several times, but they assume I am going back to the summer firm and there hasn't really been an opportunity to bring it up. I keep getting group emails from my fellow summers. Should I send an email to the group listserve telling them? I thought I would tell one or two people I was close with and they would tell everyone else but that hasn't really happened.

The other reason I haven't brought it up with the summers I have seen is that it is a "trade up" so there are all the weird dynamics that accompany that. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who handled this in the past.

Cavalier

Re: changing firms - letting people know

Postby Cavalier » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Sending out a group email would be awkward. Just tell whoever you regularly talk to from your summer class and word will get around. Better to do it sooner than later; if the ones you keep in touch with don't find out until next year they'll wonder why you hid it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know I am going to be called an Aspie for asking this question, but I am actually uncertain about how to handle this. I worked at one firm this past summer and got offered but reinterviewed and got an offer at a different firm, which I took. I called my first firm and let them know, but the other summers in my class don't know yet. I've run into summers from my school several times, but they assume I am going back to the summer firm and there hasn't really been an opportunity to bring it up. I keep getting group emails from my fellow summers. Should I send an email to the group listserve telling them? I thought I would tell one or two people I was close with and they would tell everyone else but that hasn't really happened.

The other reason I haven't brought it up with the summers I have seen is that it is a "trade up" so there are all the weird dynamics that accompany that. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who handled this in the past.

How about me?

I started at a firm a month ago and find that I do not fit. I got an offer at another firm. How should I inform the partners at the first firm and quit in such a short time?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 pm

An email to the listserv would definitely be weird. I would just tell the people you are close with. If someone brings up you working at that your old firm, correct them. Don't overthink it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 pm

The couple of people at my firm that aren't coming back did so via an e-mail to our "summers only" e-mail chain. But our summer class was under 20. I really think it depends on the size of your summer class and how close you were.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:21 am

Cavalier wrote:Sending out a group email would be awkward. Just tell whoever you regularly talk to from your summer class and word will get around. Better to do it sooner than later; if the ones you keep in touch with don't find out until next year they'll wonder why you hid it.

Yeah the fact that I have known this since mid-September but haven't told anyone is what is making me feel pressured because I keep getting emails about get togethers for summers from my summer firm, but I feel kinda weird going. I want to stay in touch but am not sure if I should go to these get togethers if people don't know I am not coming back. I know 99.9% of this is in my head. So I won't send an email over the listserve and just hope that I have an opportunity to bring it up one-on-one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:58 am

I didn't even think about informing my fellow SA associates that I'm not coming back to the firm. You should really only tell people you're close, and I wouldn't go to SA events if you could help it. It would be weird because they may to discuss some things about the firm which wouldn't be smart to do around someone that isn't going to be at the firm.

Like you said, its all in your head.

Return to “Legal Employment”