Applying to Judges Before Dec. 1

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Applying to Judges Before Dec. 1

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:25 pm

If I have been explicitly encouraged by a federal judge to apply to chambers before Dec. 1 for a 1L externship, is there any downside to doing this as long as my CDO doesn't find out?

Similarly, is it likely that my professors will give me the required letters of recommendation prior to the Dec. 1 deadline? Finally, as its all I have, is an objective memo from my Legal Writing class acceptable?

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Applying to Judges Before Dec. 1

Postby The Duck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:26 pm

To that judge, no. But many judges will blacklist you for breaking the rules. So don't send to anyone else. You don't need letters of rec for 1L (or 2L) unless requested. Just provide a list of references. Your memo is the typical work product submitted but edit it down to 10 pages or so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying to Judges Before Dec. 1

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:59 pm

OP here.

Are there repercussions if someone does find out that I jumped the deadline? How substantial of a benefit will applying about a month early provide?

Also, if references were explicitly requested, should I just ask the professors I'm closest with, even though I'm not that close with any of them?

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Applying to Judges Before Dec. 1

Postby The Duck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Are there repercussions if someone does find out that I jumped the deadline? How substantial of a benefit will applying about a month early provide?

Also, if references were explicitly requested, should I just ask the professors I'm closest with, even though I'm not that close with any of them?


As far as I know, Dec 1 is the NALP guideline binding on the school and legal employers. Judges aren't bound by NALP but typically follow it. They can really do whatever they want though. There is no repercussion on you other than if you piss someone off and get blacklisted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying to Judges Before Dec. 1

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:11 pm

The Duck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Are there repercussions if someone does find out that I jumped the deadline? How substantial of a benefit will applying about a month early provide?

Also, if references were explicitly requested, should I just ask the professors I'm closest with, even though I'm not that close with any of them?


As far as I know, Dec 1 is the NALP guideline binding on the school and legal employers. Judges aren't bound by NALP but typically follow it. They can really do whatever they want though. There is no repercussion on you other than if you piss someone off and get blacklisted.



This is correct. NALP guidelines are only "binding" on employers who are listed on NALP. I applied to and was offered a job with a judge prior to December 1st, though I ended up working at a firm. Also, keep in mind that not even all firms are on NALP.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Applying to Judges Before Dec. 1

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:33 am

The Duck wrote:To that judge, no. But many judges will blacklist you for breaking the rules. So don't send to anyone else. You don't need letters of rec for 1L (or 2L) unless requested. Just provide a list of references. Your memo is the typical work product submitted but edit it down to 10 pages or so.


Judges are quite busy, and hiring of interns is such a low priority, that I would be incredibly surprised if a judge were to know, let alone 'blacklist' someone, if you were to apply before the NALP guidelines.

-DoubleClerk

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Applying to Judges Before Dec. 1

Postby The Duck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
The Duck wrote:To that judge, no. But many judges will blacklist you for breaking the rules. So don't send to anyone else. You don't need letters of rec for 1L (or 2L) unless requested. Just provide a list of references. Your memo is the typical work product submitted but edit it down to 10 pages or so.


Judges are quite busy, and hiring of interns is such a low priority, that I would be incredibly surprised if a judge were to know, let alone 'blacklist' someone, if you were to apply before the NALP guidelines.

-DoubleClerk


The judge wouldn't, but the federal judge I interned for instructed his career clerk to keep track...she had a spreadsheet and people applying early got their name put on it and envelope thrown away unopened.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.