Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:38 pm

I was lucky enough to get an SA offer at a midlaw firm (about 75 associates, pays about $1000-1100 a week for this summer). The problem, however, is that it is in a secondary market that I'm not sure I want to work in beyond this summer. The city is in the rust belt and there just isn't much going on there. I wanted to start my career in a much bigger market (think Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Cleveland...yes, those are "much bigger" than the market my SA is in).

So, I accepted the offer because it was the only offer I got. What should be my strategy going forward? Is it acceptable to send out applications to bigger firms this summer before they extend a formal offer (if they do)?

Right now, my plan is to continue to work very hard in school, work extremely hard this summer to make sure I get a full time offer, but perhaps get applications together to send out in July for bigger firms in more desirable markets.

Is this okay?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Take the offer. Continue to search in the market you want to be in, but don't turn down a paying offer.

Also, you may end up loving the firm / people / place. You never know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 pm

kalvano wrote:Take the offer. Continue to search in the market you want to be in, but don't turn down a paying offer.

Also, you may end up loving the firm / people / place. You never know.

OP here. Definitely accepted the offer and was happy/humble to get it.

The focus of my question is on the ethics of looking for bigger firm work while I'm working there this summer. Is that okay so long as they have not extended a formal offer?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby dresden doll » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:Take the offer. Continue to search in the market you want to be in, but don't turn down a paying offer.

Also, you may end up loving the firm / people / place. You never know.

OP here. Definitely accepted the offer and was happy/humble to get it.

The focus of my question is on the ethics of looking for bigger firm work while I'm working there this summer. Is that okay so long as they have not extended a formal offer?


I don't see why that would be unethical.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:47 pm

You're fine. Look all you want until you've accepted a full-time offer.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:Take the offer. Continue to search in the market you want to be in, but don't turn down a paying offer.

Also, you may end up loving the firm / people / place. You never know.

OP here. Definitely accepted the offer and was happy/humble to get it.

The focus of my question is on the ethics of looking for bigger firm work while I'm working there this summer. Is that okay so long as they have not extended a formal offer?



Until they have extended a permanent offer, you need to operate under the assumption you will not get one and continue to search for something else.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby anon168 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You're fine. Look all you want until you've accepted a full-time offer.


Continue looking even after you've accepted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're fine. Look all you want until you've accepted a full-time offer.


Continue looking even after you've accepted.

??

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Had a friend who did a 2L midlaw SA and turned down their permanent offer because they didn't do the type of law he wanted. He's now living at home with his parents and planning to enlist in the Army. Take it and be happy, even if the geography sucks. But you can still apply elsewhere until their offer deadline comes.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're fine. Look all you want until you've accepted a full-time offer.


Continue looking even after you've accepted.

??


Once you accept a full time offer, stop looking. It makes you look incredibly bad to renege on a full time offer, and you don't want to make your firm think you might renege by looking for other jobs. They could easily find out if one of those other firms calls your summer firm to find out if they liked you over the summer.

You're allowed to keep looking until you accept the full time offer, although in this economy I wouldn't mess around with a full time offer. I would accept the offer ASAP then start looking to lateral a year or so down the road (although you might have been luck if you put in two or three years). The risk of your firm getting worried about you / losing respect for you / revoking if you hang on to your offer for too long without accepting seems far greater than trading up to a "better" job even if you prefer the other city.
Last edited by badaboom61 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby anon168 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're fine. Look all you want until you've accepted a full-time offer.


Continue looking even after you've accepted.

??


What do you mean "??" ?

User avatar
TJISMYHERO
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Got 2L Midlaw SA, Need Advice About Long Term

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:20 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Had a friend who did a 2L midlaw SA and turned down their permanent offer because they didn't do the type of law he wanted. He's now living at home with his parents and planning to enlist in the Army. Take it and be happy, even if the geography sucks. But you can still apply elsewhere until their offer deadline comes.


Where was your friend in terms of class rank, LR, school, etc? That sounds like an awfully horrible outcome, and I'd like to think it was because his grades weren't all that good rather than the market actually being that shitty.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.