Texas Attorney General's Office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Does anybody know anything about the TX Atty General's office, how competitive it is, if it is viewed well, if it is possible to jump to biglaw after 2-5 years working there.

-OP

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby lisjjen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know anything about the TX Atty General's office, how competitive it is, if it is viewed well, if it is possible to jump to biglaw after 2-5 years working there.

-OP


What division would you be working in?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:38 pm

I worked there last summer. Some divisions hire new JDs, others don't. Best way to get in is to intern there and get to know / impress the people in your division.

As to exit options... I'm sure you might be able to use it to lateral to a biglaw firm, but it would depend on the division. Some divisions are way more respected than others, and some do work that is way more translatable to private practice than others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked there last summer. Some divisions hire new JDs, others don't. Best way to get in is to intern there and get to know / impress the people in your division.

As to exit options... I'm sure you might be able to use it to lateral to a biglaw firm, but it would depend on the division. Some divisions are way more respected than others, and some do work that is way more translatable to private practice than others.


What divisions are most respected? I was hoping to get into the administrative law division because of my interest in government work (permitting, licensing, subsidies, etc.).

-OP

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby lisjjen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked there last summer. Some divisions hire new JDs, others don't. Best way to get in is to intern there and get to know / impress the people in your division.

As to exit options... I'm sure you might be able to use it to lateral to a biglaw firm, but it would depend on the division. Some divisions are way more respected than others, and some do work that is way more translatable to private practice than others.


What divisions are most respected? I was hoping to get into the administrative law division because of my interest in government work (permitting, licensing, subsidies, etc.).

-OP


I seem to recall the Solicitor General and a lot of the criminal law divisions being well respected. I don't know that much about administrative law.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 am

NOT OP

I just accepted a summer position in TX Attorney General's Office. I haven't been assigned a division but during the interview it was suggested with my background that I go to Medicaid fraud or some type of complex civil litigation.

Interested also to know how "competitive" these positions are. I turned down two DA offices and one start up 5 person boutique firm to go to Austin. Hoping that it turns out to be the right decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:NOT OP

I just accepted a summer position in TX Attorney General's Office. I haven't been assigned a division but during the interview it was suggested with my background that I go to Medicaid fraud or some type of complex civil litigation.

Interested also to know how "competitive" these positions are. I turned down two DA offices and one start up 5 person boutique firm to go to Austin. Hoping that it turns out to be the right decision.


The vast majority of people I know, especially 2Ls, were splitting their summer there. You might want to look into that to hedge your options a bit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NOT OP

I just accepted a summer position in TX Attorney General's Office. I haven't been assigned a division but during the interview it was suggested with my background that I go to Medicaid fraud or some type of complex civil litigation.

Interested also to know how "competitive" these positions are. I turned down two DA offices and one start up 5 person boutique firm to go to Austin. Hoping that it turns out to be the right decision.


The vast majority of people I know, especially 2Ls, were splitting their summer there. You might want to look into that to hedge your options a bit.


I am a 2L but I can't split due to work situation. So, this is my one shot at getting some good experience in.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas Attorney General's Office

Postby lisjjen » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NOT OP

I just accepted a summer position in TX Attorney General's Office. I haven't been assigned a division but during the interview it was suggested with my background that I go to Medicaid fraud or some type of complex civil litigation.

Interested also to know how "competitive" these positions are. I turned down two DA offices and one start up 5 person boutique firm to go to Austin. Hoping that it turns out to be the right decision.


The vast majority of people I know, especially 2Ls, were splitting their summer there. You might want to look into that to hedge your options a bit.


I will be splitting my summer there too. I think I'll be spending the other half of the summer at a real estate boutique. One way or the other, I like government work, so I think I would enjoy my there.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.