Partner told me if I had my license today I would be hired

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Partner told me if I had my license today I would be hired

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:33 pm

I work for a ID firm and corporate policy dictates no offers until you have your license, which sucks, but my boss told me once I have my license he will hire me as an associate.

I take the bar next may... Should I try to clerk somewhere else to hedge my bets? Or stay put, keep getting paid and hope like hell I don't blow it on the bar?

I'm top 10% at TTT.

Anonymous User

Re: Partner told me if I had my license today I would be hired

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work for a ID firm and corporate policy dictates no offers until you have your license, which sucks, but my boss told me once I have my license he will hire me as an associate.

I take the bar next may... Should I try to clerk somewhere else to hedge my bets? Or stay put, keep getting paid and hope like hell I don't blow it on the bar?

I'm top 10% at TTT.

this is op:

And hope that there is still a position/budget available...

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work for a ID firm and corporate policy dictates no offers until you have your license, which sucks, but my boss told me once I have my license he will hire me as an associate.

I'm top 10% at TTT.

Do you like it there? Is that where you want to end up--in ID? If so I think you should def stick with that position and just study hard for the bar. There are no guarantees, but it sounds like he basically gave you a contingent offer, and there are no guarantees things would work out at a firm that gives 2 chances at bar (pretty much all offers at firms are contingent on bar passage, although some firms may give you the official offer before you pass and many firms allow 2 shots to pass).

I mean, I don't think it will hurt to keep your options open, and if you can somehow land a higher paying gig at another firm or something that seems like more of a sure thing then by all means go for it, but it sounds like you are in a good position where you are. You basically have a contingent offer as far as I am concerned, but because the company structures the offers in such a way that they aren't supposedly actually made until after the passage it is true that is probably isn't legally secure in the same way as a regular SA offer (which is contingent on eventual passage, but where the firm at least officially acknowledges the offer prior to the passage).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm top 10% at TTT.

We need a lot more info. My boss used to say that all the time when I worked at his firm as an undergrad. Then again, it was pretty clear that I wouldn't be applying, so it was a bit of a joke.

A lot of your future plans depend on how serious he was about extending an offer. As a lawyer, you should probably know by now that it's not 100% unless it's in writing, and even then it's not a sure thing.

Return to “Legal Employment”