Business cards

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
amwebb

Business cards

Postby amwebb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. I am a 1L and I have come into contact with a few attorneys who have been pretty nice and gave me their business cards to keep in touch. I want to give them a call to at least make sure they don't forget who I am. But I have no clue what to say or ask when I call.

Any advice?

anon168

Re: Business cards

Postby anon168 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:43 pm

amwebb wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. I am a 1L and I have come into contact with a few attorneys who have been pretty nice and gave me their business cards to keep in touch. I want to give them a call to at least make sure they don't forget who I am. But I have no clue what to say or ask when I call.

Any advice?

Don't call. Shoot an e-mail and say something along the lines of, "I wanted to thank you again for taking the time to introduce yourself to me the other day. I really enjoyed our meeting. I hope in the near future I have an opportunity to speak with you again."

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:01 am

anon168 wrote:
amwebb wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. I am a 1L and I have come into contact with a few attorneys who have been pretty nice and gave me their business cards to keep in touch. I want to give them a call to at least make sure they don't forget who I am. But I have no clue what to say or ask when I call.

Any advice?

Don't call. Shoot an e-mail and say something along the lines of, "I wanted to thank you again for taking the time to introduce yourself to me the other day. I really enjoyed our meeting. I hope in the near future I have an opportunity to speak with you again."

+1

I would advise that unless you're picking up the phone to ask them to help you find a job/ask for something job related, it's better to stick to email. Additionally, if they do something particularly helpful, sending a handwritten thank you card is a good idea. It might be because most lawyers I've talked to are a good 10-20 years older, but they seem to love thank you cards.

amwebb

Postby amwebb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for the responses.
So would that still apply even though they are pretty young? All three are in their late 20's.

erico

Postby erico » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Add them on Linkedin with a personal message saying you enjoyed meeting them at X and discussing Y.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 pm

i wouldn't call them, but don't be afraid to keep in touch digitally, even via facebook. i know this is terribly frowned upon, but i keep my facebook page polite and friendly, so after i've connected with people a few times i add them on fb. i've honestly formed some pretty solid connections gushing with attorneys over pets and children.

Return to “Legal Employment”