Bad grades 2L year and still get a full-time offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bad grades 2L year and still get a full-time offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I've heard a lot of stories of people getting bad grades 2L year and getting no-offered because of grades. Are there any stories out there of people getting bad grades and still getting full-time offers?

Anonymous User

Re: Bad grades 2L year and still get a full-time offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 pm

me. My firm didn't ask for 2L grades and I got my full-time offer from SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard a lot of stories of people getting bad grades 2L year and getting no-offered because of grades. Are there any stories out there of people getting bad grades and still getting full-time offers?

Nope...noone ever got an offer after bad 2L grades. Wtf kind of question is that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm

For most firms in talking to people work product and fit trump for the same reasons that there will be people in the top 10% that don't get anything and people at median who do.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Most people with grade drops still get offers since, assuming you are talking about NYC big law, the vast majority of people get offers. If firms insisted on only offering people whose grades stayed the same or increased, they wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the ~90% offer rate. That being said, my personal opinion is still that you should do everything in your power 2L year to make sure that your grades remain at least decent if not, ideally, fairly similar (or better) than 1L year. Remember that getting an SA is not endgame. You may get no offered (for a non-grades related reason) and have to do 3L OCI/other 3L hiring. Also, a couple knowledgeable people on this board have told us that grades can matter when lateraling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:me. My firm didn't ask for 2L grades and I got my full-time offer from SA.

+1. That said, I'm hoping to do better 3L year. Bad 2L grades killed a lot of opportunities to me that I could've had after 1L if I had done better, but I can still salvage my overall GPA.

OP, don't let your grades slip if possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard a lot of stories of people getting bad grades 2L year and getting no-offered because of grades. Are there any stories out there of people getting bad grades and still getting full-time offers?

My opinion:

First, given the abysmal job market and the disastrous consequences of being no-offered, you really don't want to give your 2L SA any reason to no-offer you. An extraordinarily difficult job market requires the best possible qualifications. There are only 6-7 weeks left in the semester. What are you so anxious to do with your free time that you can't sit down and do what must be done?

Second, I was very relaxed during 1L SA knowing that I had really good grades to back me up. And, I knew that if the worst case scenario happened and they didn't want me to come back, I'd have great grades for 2L OCI. All this "security" made me much less nervous, and much better able to focus on doing a good job. Also, I wasn't worried about making the attorneys love me so I could keep my job, so I was actually able to have fun at social events and whatnot. Similarly, if you're one of those people who isn't exactly the life of the party, if you have awesome grades you don't have to worry about the attorneys thinking you're a little weird (and not worrying will probably make you less socially awkward).

Third, even after you get your full time offer after 2L summer, you don't know what the future holds. You could get laid off through no fault of your own, and given the oversupply of highly credentialed lawyers graduating every year you might still get tossed into a job you don't want because your grades are mediocre. Why would the firm take someone who got laid off a year in, who has mediocre grades, when they can get some new graduate with great grades instead?

Grades = security, for a long time to come.

Oh yea, and if you get Magna honors or whatever, that goes on your resume forever, and it goes on the firm website. Firms like that. They're giving you an opportunity in an abysmal market to make big $$$, and it's an opportunity few will get. If they want you to have latin honors so they can put them on their website, you should deliver if you can.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Grades = security? Hmmmmm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 am

I was at a V5 last summer. My 2L year grades were around bottom third and my overall class rank dropped about 25%. Still got an offer and was told by the person extending the offer not to worry about grades this year. I still plan to aim for at least median though, for pride's sake.

Return to “Legal Employment”