Practical legal skills-- key to getting a law job. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ChuckAlbert

New

Practical legal skills-- key to getting a law job.

Post by ChuckAlbert » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:05 pm

With the odds of getting a law firm job being less than 40%, it is imperative that graduating law students have some practical law skills to increase their marketability and to stand out from the thousands of other law school graduates competing in the job market.

My good friend, Jorge C. Borron, a civil litigator whose been practicing for over 20 years and is the named partner of a boutique civil litigation firm, thinks practical law skills are the key for new graduates to get a job in this market.

"The schools do a good job of teaching them theory and legal concepts", he says. "What I have found over the years is that graduating law students need more practical law skills. Otherwise I will end up either doing the work myself or hand-holding the new lawyer", he explains. "I can't afford to spend time on a new lawyer to teach those practical skills".

Law schools are beginning to understand the value of skills-based instruction, as reported by Cliff Peale of the Gannett/The Cincinnati Enquirer, in his article, With Hiring Slow, Law Careers Lose their Luster. While this understanding is needed, it comes too late for those law students who have or are about to graduate.

The bottom line is practical law skills are necessary for you now more than ever before if you want to find a job in a law firm or if you want to open your own law practice. At the very least, you will need these skills to give you an edge over the mass of other law graduates trying to find a job.

If you want to learn the strategies and gain the practical knowledge that will help you get a job, create your own book of business and open your own practice built around your lifestyle, then check out this free webinar. SPAM

Return to “Legal Employment”