V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PlessFightsFire
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby PlessFightsFire » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Isn't this one of the few things that every OCS should be good at. I mean really common thing with essentially the same answer for everyone barring some sort of unique personal situation. Have you guys not talked to anyone about this subject before?

Not trying to be a dick but its almost November and has to be something that was on your mind.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:18 am

PlessFightsFire wrote:Isn't this one of the few things that every OCS should be good at. I mean really common thing with essentially the same answer for everyone barring some sort of unique personal situation. Have you guys not talked to anyone about this subject before?

Not trying to be a dick but its almost November and has to be something that was on your mind.


I'm not the OP, but the other one. Yes, I've talked to career services. In fact, I'm going in again tomorrow to talk with one of them who actually used to work at the firm I'm interviewing at, and she knows the people I'll be interviewing with. It has definitely crossed my mind.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:50 pm

OP here,

My OCS is terrible...basically they don't care about you unless you're top 15% lol. That said, I have spoken to them about it, but the advice wasn't worth a damn really.

Any last words of advice? Interview starts 24 hours from now...

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby 20160810 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here,

My OCS is terrible...basically they don't care about you unless you're top 15% lol. That said, I have spoken to them about it, but the advice wasn't worth a damn really.

Any last words of advice? Interview starts 24 hours from now...

If it seems like everything is lost, whip it out. It's worth a shot bro.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:59 pm

OP here back from the interview. It wen way better than I thought it would. The grade situation hardly came up...I diverted conversation back to work experience and said something similar to what desert fox alluded to. Met partners and associates. I interviewed with alumni. We left the interview joking so I think it went well. Goes to show, if you hustle you can overcome some not-so-stellar points. All hope is not lost medians! Now comes the waiting game. Also, what's etiquette with follow up thank you's? Thanks for the advice I this thread btw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:51 am

Congrats, you don't have to send thank yous. Opinions are split, I guess it's up to you. But:

Anonymous User wrote:This late in the season...have been working my contacts and have landed an interview at a firm...BUT I'm median at a T2. How do I spin my shitty GPA into an offer? I have multiple people vouching for me (partners they used to work with etc.), but there it is...my shitty GPA that I have to bring into the interview with me. Am I just screwed or can I salvage it?


Anonymous User wrote:OP here back from the interview. It wen way better than I thought it would. The grade situation hardly came up...I diverted conversation back to work experience and said something similar to what desert fox alluded to. Met partners and associates. I interviewed with alumni. We left the interview joking so I think it went well. Goes to show, if you hustle you can overcome some not-so-stellar points. All hope is not lost medians! Now comes the waiting game. Also, what's etiquette with follow up thank you's? Thanks for the advice I this thread btw.


Not sure what's going on here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure what's going on here.


Not sure why anon...but the gist of it is I struck out at OCI (shitty GPA)...so I kept at it and really pushed any contact I had. It led to an interview, we'll see if anything comes of it.

2014jd
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby 2014jd » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here back from the interview. It wen way better than I thought it would. The grade situation hardly came up...I diverted conversation back to work experience and said something similar to what desert fox alluded to. Met partners and associates. I interviewed with alumni. We left the interview joking so I think it went well. Goes to show, if you hustle you can overcome some not-so-stellar points. All hope is not lost medians! Now comes the waiting game. Also, what's etiquette with follow up thank you's? Thanks for the advice I this thread btw.


I'd send a thank you. Opinions are definitely split, but I think it helps more than it hurts.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby RVP11 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would say courtesy interview as well to be honest, not to be a jerk.

I had 10 cb's with V100 firms out of CCN. I have 2 bad grades on my transcript. I have excellent work experience and I have very strong interviewing skills. I didn't convert a single V100 cb into an offer. I converted both of my NLJ 250 cb's into offers using the exact same responses, dressing up just a nice, etc. I feel like my grades were the nail in the coffin at the V100 firms, I believe that the hiring committee couldn't get past them.

Anecdotal obviously, no reason why you shouldn't give this 100% effort and hope for the best.


WTF? No one would call you back from OCI if your grades were a problem. A "courtesy callback" is when you call back some client's nephew who has a 2.9 at some shitty school you don't even go to OCI for.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:47 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would say courtesy interview as well to be honest, not to be a jerk.

I had 10 cb's with V100 firms out of CCN. I have 2 bad grades on my transcript. I have excellent work experience and I have very strong interviewing skills. I didn't convert a single V100 cb into an offer. I converted both of my NLJ 250 cb's into offers using the exact same responses, dressing up just a nice, etc. I feel like my grades were the nail in the coffin at the V100 firms, I believe that the hiring committee couldn't get past them.

Anecdotal obviously, no reason why you shouldn't give this 100% effort and hope for the best.


WTF? No one would call you back from OCI if your grades were a problem. A "courtesy callback" is when you call back some client's nephew who has a 2.9 at some shitty school you don't even go to OCI for.

That's a pretty narrow definition, and IMO inaccurate. People can have their own connections to partners (not just relatives), people can be at a school where it's possible to bid on firms where they have connections, etc.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby RVP11 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:54 pm

IAFG wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would say courtesy interview as well to be honest, not to be a jerk.

I had 10 cb's with V100 firms out of CCN. I have 2 bad grades on my transcript. I have excellent work experience and I have very strong interviewing skills. I didn't convert a single V100 cb into an offer. I converted both of my NLJ 250 cb's into offers using the exact same responses, dressing up just a nice, etc. I feel like my grades were the nail in the coffin at the V100 firms, I believe that the hiring committee couldn't get past them.

Anecdotal obviously, no reason why you shouldn't give this 100% effort and hope for the best.


WTF? No one would call you back from OCI if your grades were a problem. A "courtesy callback" is when you call back some client's nephew who has a 2.9 at some shitty school you don't even go to OCI for.

That's a pretty narrow definition, and IMO inaccurate. People can have their own connections to partners (not just relatives), people can be at a school where it's possible to bid on firms where they have connections, etc.


MFE, I was giving an example.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:57 pm

RVP11 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would say courtesy interview as well to be honest, not to be a jerk.

I had 10 cb's with V100 firms out of CCN. I have 2 bad grades on my transcript. I have excellent work experience and I have very strong interviewing skills. I didn't convert a single V100 cb into an offer. I converted both of my NLJ 250 cb's into offers using the exact same responses, dressing up just a nice, etc. I feel like my grades were the nail in the coffin at the V100 firms, I believe that the hiring committee couldn't get past them.

Anecdotal obviously, no reason why you shouldn't give this 100% effort and hope for the best.


WTF? No one would call you back from OCI if your grades were a problem. A "courtesy callback" is when you call back some client's nephew who has a 2.9 at some shitty school you don't even go to OCI for.

That's a pretty narrow definition, and IMO inaccurate. People can have their own connections to partners (not just relatives), people can be at a school where it's possible to bid on firms where they have connections, etc.


MFE, I was giving an example.

I am saying, the person you quoted had "excellent WE" which could very well lead to courtesy CBs.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby RVP11 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:02 pm

IAFG wrote:I am saying, the person you quoted had "excellent WE" which could very well lead to courtesy CBs.


Excellent work experience is a reason to want to hire a person, not cause for extending a courtesy.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:04 pm

RVP11 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I am saying, the person you quoted had "excellent WE" which could very well lead to courtesy CBs.


Excellent work experience is a reason to want to hire a person, not cause for extending a courtesy.

Excellent WE -> connections -> courtesy interviews.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby RVP11 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I am saying, the person you quoted had "excellent WE" which could very well lead to courtesy CBs.


Excellent work experience is a reason to want to hire a person, not cause for extending a courtesy.

Excellent WE -> connections -> courtesy interviews.


Yes, let's assume things this dude never mentioned.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:16 pm

RVP11 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I am saying, the person you quoted had "excellent WE" which could very well lead to courtesy CBs.


Excellent work experience is a reason to want to hire a person, not cause for extending a courtesy.

Excellent WE -> connections -> courtesy interviews.


Yes, let's assume things this dude never mentioned.



RVP11 wrote:WTF? No one would call you back from OCI if your grades were a problem.


This happens often enough, so you're wrong in this statement.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: V50-100 Interview on Fri...Median at T2...help

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Did you get the job?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.