DC Firms -- Cov, Wilmer, or Gibson?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Firms -- Cov, Wilmer, or Gibson?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm leaving a V5 firm in NYC to join Covington DC, Gibson DC, or Wilmer DC. I'm in litigation and aspire to work as a gov't attorney at some point (DOJ, another fed agency, or as an AUSA), which is partly motivating my move to DC.

Any thoughts about these three firms? Which firm would offer the best exit opportunities to gov't att'y positions? Everyone I met at all the firms seemed pleasant, so it's tough for me to base a decision on fit and feel.

Thanks!

Pokemon

Re: DC Firms -- Cov, Wilmer, or Gibson?

Postby Pokemon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 pm

I am a little surprised that a V5 NYC litigation attorney needs TLS advice about where to go next... Are you brand new in your NYC firm?
Last edited by Pokemon on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Pokemon wrote:You are telling me that a V5 NYC litigation attorney needs TLS advice about where to go next?? I am :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sounds like a junior associate.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm leaving a V5 firm in NYC to join Covington DC, Gibson DC, or Wilmer DC. I'm in litigation and aspire to work as a gov't attorney at some point (DOJ, another fed agency, or as an AUSA), which is partly motivating my move to DC.

Any thoughts about these three firms? Which firm would offer the best exit opportunities to gov't att'y positions? Everyone I met at all the firms seemed pleasant, so it's tough for me to base a decision on fit and feel.

Thanks!

Based on your aspirations, go to Covington.

z3201

Postby z3201 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 am

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm leaving a V5 firm in NYC to join Covington DC, Gibson DC, or Wilmer DC. I'm in litigation and aspire to work as a gov't attorney at some point (DOJ, another fed agency, or as an AUSA), which is partly motivating my move to DC.

Thanks!

Based on your aspirations, go to Covington.

I actually disagree. Wilmer and Gibson are both more litigation-focused than Covington so for someone who's definitely a litigation associate Covington might not be the best fit. Also, they all have ties to government, but Wilmer is definitely the standout (the US Attorney in DC is a Wilmer guy, for example). See http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0924024810

The caveat is that Wilmer is relatively liberal, so if you want conservative connections it might not be the best place (though, as the NLJ article mentions, there are Republican ties as well). Gibson is definitely conservative, and Covington is pretty much in the middle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks. Poster here. Why do you think that Covington is considered a step below in litigation?

z3201

Postby z3201 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:36 am

It's not that it's a step below; the quality of litigation at Covington is certainly top-tier. They just have the reputation of being more into regulatory work in DC, and several other posters here have said that if you want to do litigation you'll likely get funneled into one of their bigger practice groups that you're not necessarily interested in. That may not be the case for you since you're lateraling, though (and obviously should be taken with a grain of salt anyway).

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:31 pm

z3201 wrote:
The caveat is that Wilmer is relatively liberal, so if you want conservative connections it might not be the best place (though, as the NLJ article mentions, there are Republican ties as well). Gibson is definitely conservative, and Covington is pretty much in the middle.

While that generally is true, Wilmer DC is apparently attempting to bring in more conservatives into the fold. One of my peers, a religious conservative, was deciding between Wilmer and I believe GDC, both DC. Wilmer made a concerted effort to put him in touch with the conservatives at the office. They told him that they were trying to entice more conservatives to come to Wilmer.

Take this as you will.

Return to “Legal Employment”