Fed. Magistrate Judge Clerkship-->Salary Progression/Bonus Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FitterHappier289

New

Fed. Magistrate Judge Clerkship-->Salary Progression/Bonus

Post by FitterHappier289 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Hey all,

Apologies if this is somewhere on the site, but I couldn't find it. Saw similar threads, but not this exactly.

Do most NYC V100 firms give salary progression and a bonus for Fed. Magistrate Judge Clerkships as they do for Art. III and COA judges? It sounds like a great gig, but given loans, it seems analogous to a PI job salary whilst interest is accruing, and might ultimately not be worth it. Or is it, even if there is no salary progression/bonus, for the resume ink alone?

Thoughts?

augusta1985

New

Re: Fed. Magistrate Judge Clerkship-->Salary Progression/Bonus

Post by augusta1985 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:21 pm

As a current mag clerk, here are my two cents: Yes, it's great experience - especially since you'll be handling discovery disputes (which is about 75% of what you'll be doing in a law firm lit dept). You'll end up with a ton of great connections in both the federal government (AUSAs, SEC, other judges, etc.) and in the mid/biglaw world. However, there's definitely a "prestige gap" between mag clerks and district judge clerks; partly because district judge clerks are drafting case dispositive orders. Based purely on anecdotal evidence, I don't think firms pay bonuses to mag clerks, and I'm unsure whether they'll hire you on as a second-year associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:24 pm

I am a bankruptcy court clerk and can tell you that the bonus situation is not the same as it is for people with article 3 clerkships. Bonuses for bk clerks are usually done on a case-by-case basis, which is to say that if you're D. Del. or SDNY you might have a fighting chance, but otherwise you're boned. I suspect the same will hold true for your magistrate clerkship. The good news though, as mentioned: Clerking is an amazing learning experience, a lot of fun, and generally the hours aren't as bad as biglaw, so enjoy it.

FitterHappier289

New

Post by FitterHappier289 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks for the input fellas. Forgetting bonuses for a second: do you guys have something lined up for after your clerkship (read: will firms hold offers open if you do BK or Magistrate Clerkships) or is that a concern for you?

augusta1985

New

Post by augusta1985 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

FitterHappier289 wrote:Thanks for the input fellas. Forgetting bonuses for a second: do you guys have something lined up for after your clerkship (read: will firms hold offers open if you do BK or Magistrate Clerkships) or is that a concern for you?
My term is up in May, and haven't started looking yet - partly because I'm unsure whether I want to pursue a firm job. I'll probably start testing the waters in January.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:32 pm

FitterHappier289 wrote:Thanks for the input fellas. Forgetting bonuses for a second: do you guys have something lined up for after your clerkship (read: will firms hold offers open if you do BK or Magistrate Clerkships) or is that a concern for you?
My experience is that any federal clerkship, A3 or no, is a win-win. If you have an offer, it will more than likely be held open for you. If you don't have one, this is a second bite at the apple firm-wise after the clerkship

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Regarding this + bonus... just ask your firm. If they give the same bonus and credit, go clerk and enjoy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:34 pm

How different is a fed. magistrate clerkship compared to a fed. district court clerkship? Will employers see a big difference between the two?

djpelagic

New

Post by djpelagic » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:40 am

Just to weigh in here. I had a big law offer after my summer associate job, and recently accepted a clerkship with an SDNY mag judge. The offer is being held open, and the firm is paying the std $50k bonus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”