bk1 wrote:Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer for a public interest gig and the deadline they gave me to accept it is 03/04.
I just had a CB at a big law firm and they are giving me an answer on 03/11. I'm also waiting to hear from a company for an in-house position, but they didn't tell me when they are getting back to applicants.
I felt the interviews went well, but I know how difficult it is to get the actual job.
The truth is I am tired of looking and feel this have kept me from studying.
How bad it would be if I accept the PI offer and later, in the event I get the SA or the in-house job, I tell the PI lady I am not going?
There is no possibility of getting an extension for the PI offer, by the way.
I would avoid reneging. While it probably won't hurt you (since I doubt the PI employer is going to take you to task for it), it just looks bad and is a dick move doing it in advance. If you want a possible 1L SA, suck it up and turn down the PI gig. It'll take you a bit more work to keep applying if you don't get it but it's probably worth the chance of getting it.
I reneged on a PI organization. It was a dick move, but whatever. That said, I think people freak out about 1L jobs. Don't feel pressured to take the first thing that comes your way -- if you are willing to work for free, someone will take you.