1L Summer Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mtyler19

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by mtyler19 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CattyPake

Postby CattyPake » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Last edited by CattyPake on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:54 pm

I'll start by prefacing that I'm in a small area with a small bar. Reputation matters a lot more here. Your mileage for my advice may vary.

Cattypake, remember that these people are busy as heck. They need definite answers. I'd be prepared to give her a yes or a no on the spot, if you want to have a decent relationship with them. Small places are busy and have a lot of work to do. They don't have time to send people out just to do interviews all day. She might get annoyed that you want to suddenly play coy after you've applied to their organization. She'll understand a small wait time, but not an indefinite, large window. That's not a good move. Be careful.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I'll start by prefacing that I'm in a small area with a small bar. Reputation matters a lot more here. Your mileage for my advice may vary.

Cattypake, remember that these people are busy as heck. They need definite answers. I'd be prepared to give her a yes or a no on the spot, if you want to have a decent relationship with them. Small places are busy and have a lot of work to do. They don't have time to send people out just to do interviews all day. She might get annoyed that you want to suddenly play coy after you've applied to their organization. She'll understand a small wait time, but not an indefinite, large window. That's not a good move. Be careful.

wut

No. Just tell her exactly what you said on here. She'll understand.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:wut

No. Just tell her exactly what you said on here. She'll understand.

As I said, mileage may vary. That's the situation here, though.

CattyPake

Postby CattyPake » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I'll start by prefacing that I'm in a small area with a small bar. Reputation matters a lot more here. Your mileage for my advice may vary.

I know that you basically have to accept once you get a judicial clerkship but I hadn't gotten the impression there was the same sort of pressure for other internships. I'm not doubting what you said Scotusnerd, I'm just wondering how other people have handled the situation...do they just decline and hope that something will come through later? Because, unless I'm wrong, I get the impression that most people at my school are able to chose between internships and don't just commit to whichever organization gets back to them first.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:19 pm

CattyPake wrote:

I know that you basically have to accept once you get a judicial clerkship but I hadn't gotten the impression there was the same sort of pressure for other internships. I'm not doubting what you said Scotusnerd, I'm just wondering how other people have handled the situation...do they just decline and hope that something will come through later? Because, unless I'm wrong, I get the impression that most people at my school are able to chose between internships and don't just commit to whichever organization gets back to them first.

You absolutely don't need to commit yourself on the spot, that would be totally unexpected. Even judges will give you a day or two to mull it over (though judges expect you to say yes once you do respond, whereas there is no such commitment anywhere else).

CattyPake

Postby CattyPake » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Last edited by CattyPake on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:29 pm

dingbat wrote:I was expecting to hear back by today about getting an interview for a company, what should I do?

Here's the story:
I was put in touch with a contact who is the former GC. He gave me the details of a current lawyer there (not the GC, but high up the food chain) and said person sent my resume to HR. HR asked me to complete the online application, which I did (and then emailed them to tell them I had done so).

The company is one of the biggest names in XYZ industry (household name) and my resume screams XYZ. (years of work experience). The job posting said that, if selected, interviews start on the 9th.
So far, I've not heard back. What should I do?

shameless bump

Not to come off as a pussy, but I plan on sending a follow-up email and want some advice.

I plan on asking about the status of my application and that I understand they don't normally give feedback, but considering that my background was perfectly attuned to the position, I would appreciate it if they could provide any advice or suggestions.

hell, I can't seem to formulate the question right now, let along the actual email - any help, people? this really is my dream position for next summer (and possibly beyond)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 pm

dingbat wrote:
dingbat wrote:I was expecting to hear back by today about getting an interview for a company, what should I do?

Here's the story:
I was put in touch with a contact who is the former GC. He gave me the details of a current lawyer there (not the GC, but high up the food chain) and said person sent my resume to HR. HR asked me to complete the online application, which I did (and then emailed them to tell them I had done so).

The company is one of the biggest names in XYZ industry (household name) and my resume screams XYZ. (years of work experience). The job posting said that, if selected, interviews start on the 9th.
So far, I've not heard back. What should I do?

shameless bump

Not to come off as a pussy, but I plan on sending a follow-up email and want some advice.

I plan on asking about the status of my application and that I understand they don't normally give feedback, but considering that my background was perfectly attuned to the position, I would appreciate it if they could provide any advice or suggestions.

hell, I can't seem to formulate the question right now, let along the actual email - any help, people? this really is my dream position for next summer (and possibly beyond)

Considering the deadline has passed, they probably didn't select you. Not much use in asking them, but at this point you don't have much to lose. You're almost assuredly not going to get very honest feedback so I wouldn't bother for that reason. Something like:

Dear HR Person,

My name is dingbat and I submitted an application for POSITION at XYZ Corp. I have not heard in a while and was curious as to the status of my application. Thank you.

Sincerely,
this is dingbat

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:55 pm

dingbat wrote:Not to come off as a pussy, but I plan on sending a follow-up email and want some advice.

i think you'll just weird them out

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dingbat wrote:Not to come off as a pussy, but I plan on sending a follow-up email and want some advice.

i think you'll just weird them out

Duh! thisisdingbat

As BK already said (and I concluded last week) the deadline has come and gone and I've not been selected, so it can't exactly hurt my chances. Either way, I've sent a polite and simple reply (similar to what BK wrote), because until I get a definite "no", I may as well try.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:16 pm

dingbat wrote: As BK already said (and I concluded last week) the deadline has come and gone and I've not been selected, so it can't exactly hurt my chances. Either way, I've sent a polite and simple reply (similar to what BK wrote), because until I get a definite "no", I may as well try.

k. i'll probably not go around doing it very often since there is effectively 0 upside (absent w/e utility you gain from confirmation of rejection) and a potential to be "that guy" come oci...you gotta think about the possibility of trying again come oci

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dingbat wrote: As BK already said (and I concluded last week) the deadline has come and gone and I've not been selected, so it can't exactly hurt my chances. Either way, I've sent a polite and simple reply (similar to what BK wrote), because until I get a definite "no", I may as well try.

k. i'll probably not go around doing it very often since there is effectively 0 upside (absent w/e utility you gain from confirmation of rejection) and a potential to be "that guy" come oci...you gotta think about the possibility of trying again come oci

It's a fortune 500, not a law firm.

So, apparently they're running behind and still haven't sifted through all the resumes yet. I hope I didn't just ding myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 pm

If it is several days past when I was told I'd hear back at a job interview, is it ok to inquire about whether a decision has been made? Similar to an inquiry posted above?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If it is several days past when I was told I'd hear back at a job interview, is it ok to inquire about whether a decision has been made? Similar to an inquiry posted above?

Because of the answer I got, I'd wait until its been a few weeks.
On the other hand, if you applied without grades, you could just send them your grades, which'll serve the same purpose

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:54 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
CattyPake wrote:

You absolutely don't need to commit yourself on the spot, that would be totally unexpected. Even judges will give you a day or two to mull it over (though judges expect you to say yes once you do respond, whereas there is no such commitment anywhere else).

Just to give some more clarity, I'm currently sitting on a few offers and they've given me two weeks until I finish interviews to decide. I would highly recommend just asking them and being confident about what you need.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm going crazy waiting for DOJ to get back for summer internships.

Anyone have recommendations for additional places to apply for people looking for fedgov/PI interships in civil rights, con law, legal policy, and/or appellate work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody heard back from USAO in DC or any DOJ in DC for summer internships?

OP here

heard back from civil in DOJ DC today. Also know of others (friends and classmates) who have heard back from office of legal policy in dc

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anybody heard back from USAO in DC or any DOJ in DC for summer internships?

OP here

heard back from civil in DOJ DC today. Also know of others (friends and classmates) who have heard back from office of legal policy in dc

Civil DOJ DC grade request this week, as well as an interview with DOJ Immigration-Dallas

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Well this is worrisome since I haven't heard from DOJ Civil DC at all...

Have you heard from specific offices, or the general intern coordinator?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well this is worrisome since I haven't heard from DOJ Civil DC at all...

OP with the grade request, was from a specific department.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well this is worrisome since I haven't heard from DOJ Civil DC at all...

Oh, ok. Cool. You mind if I ask which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't want to be too specific, but one of the torts branches.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't want to be too specific, but one of the torts branches.

No worries, I understand. Thanks for the info. Calming to hear it wasn't one of the offices that I specified in the app.

Return to “Legal Employment”