1L Summer Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Ah, maybe I was misunderstanding. Have there been lots of DOJ interviews? That would make me slightly bummed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Ah, maybe I was misunderstanding. Have there been lots of DOJ interviews? That would make me slightly bummed.

Anonymous User wrote:There has been very little movement by DC DOJ so far, and most of those agencies are highly specialized (Immigration, Consumer Protection, etc).

(Same poster)

Nope. Not in DC at least.

I know of one office with offers out and another few who have started to contact for interviews, but by and large I think it's been quiet so far.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:Ah, maybe I was misunderstanding. Have there been lots of DOJ interviews? That would make me slightly bummed.

Anonymous User wrote:There has been very little movement by DC DOJ so far, and most of those agencies are highly specialized (Immigration, Consumer Protection, etc).

(Same poster)

Nope. Not in DC at least.

I know of one office with offers out and another few who have started to contact for interviews, but by and large I think it's been quiet so far.


What are the general DoJ grade requirements? Looks like I'm sitting at between Top 25-30% just outside the T-14 and sent out a bunch of DoJ apps in Dec.

nyg22
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:31 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby nyg22 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an SEC NYRO offer today.


Can you tell me when you interviewed? and How you were notified?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 am

nyg22 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an SEC NYRO offer today.


Can you tell me when you interviewed? and How you were notified?


Original anon here. Interviewed last Friday, notified via phone. Gave me the week to decide.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 am

I had an interview, and they didn't want references. Bad sign?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:56 am

I was expecting to hear back by today about getting an interview for a company, what should I do?

Here's the story:
I was put in touch with a contact who is the former GC. He gave me the details of a current lawyer there (not the GC, but high up the food chain) and said person sent my resume to HR. HR asked me to complete the online application, which I did (and then emailed them to tell them I had done so).

The company is one of the biggest names in XYZ industry (household name) and my resume screams XYZ. (years of work experience). The job posting said that, if selected, interviews start on the 9th.
So far, I've not heard back. What should I do?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am

Just accepted Summer offer from firm in hometown (T14/secondary market). Good luck to everybody!

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am

dingbat wrote:I was expecting to hear back by today about getting an interview for a company, what should I do?

Here's the story:
I was put in touch with a contact who is the former GC. He gave me the details of a current lawyer there (not the GC, but high up the food chain) and said person sent my resume to HR. HR asked me to complete the online application, which I did (and then emailed them to tell them I had done so).

The company is one of the biggest names in XYZ industry (household name) and my resume screams XYZ. (years of work experience). The job posting said that, if selected, interviews start on the 9th.
So far, I've not heard back. What should I do?


Today is the 9th and the day just begun. Perhaps you should wait out the day lest you piss them off with your anxiety. I would inquire tomorrow if at all. But that's just me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:32 pm

re: references

no, for firms at least. I got an offer and interviewed at a couple of other firms. nobody's ever asked me for references.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:re: references

no, for firms at least. I got an offer and interviewed at a couple of other firms. nobody's ever asked me for references.

OP here, thanks for the reply.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Mind saying when you applied and whether you are a URM?

Anonymous User wrote:
nyg22 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an SEC NYRO offer today.


Can you tell me when you interviewed? and How you were notified?


Original anon here. Interviewed last Friday, notified via phone. Gave me the week to decide.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 am

msblaw89 wrote:Mind saying when you applied and whether you are a URM?

Anonymous User wrote:
nyg22 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an SEC NYRO offer today.


Can you tell me when you interviewed? and How you were notified?


Original anon here. Interviewed last Friday, notified via phone. Gave me the week to decide.


OP again. Applied 12/6. Not URM. CCN, no grades. I got the impression that they cared much more about relevant prior work experience.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 am

dingbat wrote:I was expecting to hear back by today about getting an interview for a company, what should I do?

Here's the story:
I was put in touch with a contact who is the former GC. He gave me the details of a current lawyer there (not the GC, but high up the food chain) and said person sent my resume to HR. HR asked me to complete the online application, which I did (and then emailed them to tell them I had done so).

The company is one of the biggest names in XYZ industry (household name) and my resume screams XYZ. (years of work experience). The job posting said that, if selected, interviews start on the 9th.
So far, I've not heard back. What should I do?

shameless bump

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 am

Will be interviewing at a USAO soon. STOKED.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby gaud » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:24 am

dingbat wrote:
dingbat wrote:I was expecting to hear back by today about getting an interview for a company, what should I do?

Here's the story:
I was put in touch with a contact who is the former GC. He gave me the details of a current lawyer there (not the GC, but high up the food chain) and said person sent my resume to HR. HR asked me to complete the online application, which I did (and then emailed them to tell them I had done so).

The company is one of the biggest names in XYZ industry (household name) and my resume screams XYZ. (years of work experience). The job posting said that, if selected, interviews start on the 9th.
So far, I've not heard back. What should I do?

shameless bump


Why don't you contact HR? I'd call them.

InGoodFaith wrote:Will be interviewing at a USAO soon. STOKED.


NOYCE! Good luck bro

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Will be interviewing at a USAO soon. STOKED.


With your grades, firm or bust bro

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm

If I got a pretty concrete "we're gonna do interviews in X month and will contact you to set up a time" email should I reply to it? Or just wait for them to contact me again?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:50 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Will be interviewing at a USAO soon. STOKED.


With your grades, firm or bust bro

Plenty of time for that. Would rather do something fun.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:44 am

T2. No grades yet. Can work at my father's firm making $750-$1000 a week. Can put someone else's name on resume. Take it or search?

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby coldshoulder » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:21 am

Grades come out tomorrow...crossing my fingers that someone will actually want to see my app and interview me.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:T2. No grades yet. Can work at my father's firm making $750-$1000 a week. Can put someone else's name on resume. Take it or search?

take it

mtyler19
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:49 pm

.
Last edited by mtyler19 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Lwoods » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

mtyler19 wrote:For a lot of the smaller firms that aren't on NALP there isn't any information about who to contact regarding hiring/recruiting, should I call/email and ask if there's an email address I can send to or just go ahead and snail mail?


Check the firm's website before calling. The contact info is likely there. ResumeLaunchpad can also be a useful tool, particularly for mass-mailing smaller firms.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T2. No grades yet. Can work at my father's firm making $750-$1000 a week. Can put someone else's name on resume. Take it or search?

Does searching mean giving up the chance? If so, I'd probably take it. If not, you might as well look around as long as you can hold open the opportunity.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.