1L Summer Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dingbat

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:20 pm

2014 wrote:I think it is basically a solicitation to re mass mail them over the summer.

When is a good time to do this? That office of the firm doesn't come to OCI at my school, but the head of the practice group emailed me asking to contact them this summer, and he copied the other partners so they'd be aware of me.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:22 pm

dingbat wrote:
2014 wrote:I think it is basically a solicitation to re mass mail them over the summer.

When is a good time to do this? That office of the firm doesn't come to OCI at my school, but the head of the practice group emailed me asking to contact them this summer, and he copied the other partners so they'd be aware of me.

I'd be interested in this answer too. I've gotten some lovely personal responses from NC firms that don't do OCI here and I'm nervous about missing the window for next summer.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
dingbat wrote:

I'd be interested in this answer too. I've gotten some lovely personal responses from NC firms that don't do OCI here and I'm nervous about missing the window for next summer.

Broadly speaking, before their spots fill up, so before offers are rolling out from OCIs they do attend. Late July is nice because it gives you time to follow up and makes it clear you didn't just strike out.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:11 pm

IAFG wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Broadly speaking, before their spots fill up, so before offers are rolling out from OCIs they do attend. Late July is nice because it gives you time to follow up and makes it clear you didn't just strike out.

+1 - July works well. Just e-mail them with an update with your full transcript and an updated resume with your summer employment on it. The process will carry itself out from there.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 pm

IAFG wrote:Broadly speaking, before their spots fill up, so before offers are rolling out from OCIs they do attend. Late July is nice because it gives you time to follow up and makes it clear you didn't just strike out.

+1 on late July.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Broadly speaking, before their spots fill up, so before offers are rolling out from OCIs they do attend. Late July is nice because it gives you time to follow up and makes it clear you didn't just strike out.

+1 on late July.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks. This firm just became my top choice (Chambers lists them as one of the top in my specialty and they're biglaw $160k)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 am

Had a 1L SA screener today. Firm is a secondary market, where I have significant ties. The screener consisted of two questions and then they threw it over to me to ask them questions. . . definitely a different experience; however, I was able to get about 30 minutes with of questions and discussion going, so I felt good. Next step . . . grades!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had a 1L SA screener today. Firm is a secondary market, where I have significant ties. The screener consisted of two questions and then they threw it over to me to ask them questions. . . definitely a different experience; however, I was able to get about 30 minutes with of questions and discussion going, so I felt good. Next step . . . grades!

This happened in 90% of my screeners and callbacks during 1L and 2L. It was a good sign for me, so hopefully its the same for you. Good luck.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 pm

I scanned the thread but didn't see any mention of this (so apologies if it's already been posted), but is there anyone in here applying to the DA's offices in NYC and not sure how to handle the Brooklyn DA's office? I've already submitted to Manhattan, Bronx, and USAO (Southern District), but I'm looking at Brooklyn's instructions and they ask for a transcript but include no caveat for 1Ls akin to "when it is available" like Manhattan and USAO did. Brooklyn's deadline is 2/1, and it's possible that not all of our grades will be back in time (thanks to one particular professor who is apparently horrendous in the timely grades department). Did you submit anyway with a note saying you'd forward your grades when you got them? Or are there other people on the forum who ran into a similar issue during their 1L year?

Gracias!

harbin

Postby harbin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:19 pm

sd5289 wrote:I scanned the thread but didn't see any mention of this (so apologies if it's already been posted), but is there anyone in here applying to the DA's offices in NYC and not sure how to handle the Brooklyn DA's office? I've already submitted to Manhattan, Bronx, and USAO (Southern District), but I'm looking at Brooklyn's instructions and they ask for a transcript but include no caveat for 1Ls akin to "when it is available" like Manhattan and USAO did. Brooklyn's deadline is 2/1, and it's possible that not all of our grades will be back in time (thanks to one particular professor who is apparently horrendous in the timely grades department). Did you submit anyway with a note saying you'd forward your grades when you got them? Or are there other people on the forum who ran into a similar issue during their 1L year?

Gracias!

On the advice of my CSO, I applied to all of mine without grades and just a note that I would send them on when I receive them. The only one I didn't specified in bold that they would not take incomplete applications. Hopefully the CSO didn't lead me astray.

sd5289

Re: 1L Summer Job Search (Early Bird Special)

Postby sd5289 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 pm

dreakol wrote:yeah, if you are aiming for pd/da work this summer, no need to apply now (unless they have a deadline coming up). i think the earliest deadline i encountered was the philly da in feb iirc.

Just check the office's website for this info because it's all over the place. I had to apply to the Manhattan DA during finals because the application window was Dec. 1 - 15 whereas I was able to wait until after finals for Brooklyn, Bronx, etc.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 pm

harbin wrote:On the advice of my CSO, I applied to all of mine without grades and just a note that I would send them on when I receive them. The only one I didn't specified in bold that they would not take incomplete applications. Hopefully the CSO didn't lead me astray.

Okay, cool. Seems logical since 1L's don't have their grades back yet. One of the only offices I've seen that was explicit that they wouldn't accept without a transcript was the Attorney General's Office, but their deadline is also the end of February, so entirely manageable.

I guess the second upside to this flu/plague thing this week (aside from it *not* happening during finals) was that it motivated me to get this done. 8)

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 am

Thank you notes for judges after an interview? I feel like no, but who knows.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 am

IGF, is that a question?

I thought we should do thank-you notes. I think a 2L told me to do it.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:38 am

If you're not the type of person who typically sends thank you notes, there's no need to start now. Personally, I never sent a single one and did quite well in 1L and 2L job hunting. You can check the various OCI result compilation threads and see that my experience is typical in that notes seem to make no difference at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:23 pm

anybody heard back from USAO in DC or any DOJ in DC for summer internships?

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Thank you notes for judges after an interview? I feel like no, but who knows.

Can't see it doing any harm. I would. Good luck bro!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody heard back from USAO in DC or any DOJ in DC for summer internships?

I only applied to one DOJ division last year, but if my experience is representative you're probably going to be waiting for quite a bit longer. The earliest movers tend to be Biglaw firms and judges, government and smaller firms tend to operate on a later timetable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody heard back from USAO in DC or any DOJ in DC for summer internships?

There has been very little movement by DC DOJ so far, and most of those agencies are highly specialized (Immigration, Consumer Protection, etc).

I'm waiting on a bunch of DOJ offices as well. I've interviewed with one, but silence from the rest.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

There has been very little movement by DC DOJ so far, and most of those agencies are highly specialized (Immigration, Consumer Protection, etc).

I'm waiting on a bunch of DOJ offices as well. I've interviewed with one, but silence from the rest.

Same. Heard from the FTC today though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There has been very little movement by DC DOJ so far, and most of those agencies are highly specialized (Immigration, Consumer Protection, etc).

Nice. I wish I had something in the bag already.

Hopefully we'll both get good news soon enough. Having to wait for grades and internships at the same time is starting to get to me. haha.

(Damn your Pass/Fail, I wish S & H would follow suit...)

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There has been very little movement by DC DOJ so far, and most of those agencies are highly specialized (Immigration, Consumer Protection, etc).

Nice. I wish I had something in the bag already.

Hopefully we'll both get good news soon enough. Having to wait for grades and internships at the same time is starting to get to me. haha.

(Damn your Pass/Fail, I wish S & H would follow suit...)

No, nothing in the bag yet, just an interview request. So at least one federal agency has had some movement.

The downside of of our system though is I'm still taking exams this week...stil worth it though :-)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:No, nothing in the bag yet, just an interview request. So at least one federal agency has had some movement.

The downside of of our system though is I'm still taking exams this week...stil worth it though :-)

Ohhh. My bad for misunderstanding. Well if FTC is anything like my DOJ interview, it won't be bad at all.

You just have to talk about yourself a lot. haha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Got an SEC NYRO offer today.

Return to “Legal Employment”