1L Summer Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
acrossthelake

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm

bk1 wrote:
dingbat wrote:So what would happen if I, a member of APALSA, show up to an event looking all European like? What if it were BLSA?

What are you talking about? Nothing would happen. APALSA isn't the "Asians only club" and BLSA isn't the "blacks only club."

Yeah, this.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:57 pm

bk1 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:Sooo when attaching resume, cover letter and writing sample to an email should they all be attached as one big PDF? or separate PDFs?

It probably doesn't matter. I do separate PDFs.

Thank you!

I was trying to merge them but it's not working out :lol: so I will do separate PDFs.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
bk1 wrote:
dingbat wrote:So what would happen if I, a member of APALSA, show up to an event looking all European like? What if it were BLSA?

What are you talking about? Nothing would happen. APALSA isn't the "Asians only club" and BLSA isn't the "blacks only club."

Yeah, this.

Yeah, didn't think so (as an aside, I actually am a member of ALPACA)

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:01 pm

I think the dude is trying to say he doesn't want to accidentally get picked for a diversity position and then go in for an interview and have them realize he's a white boy.

But I agree with everyone else, qualifying it would be weird. It's their bad if they make that assumption.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 pm

dingbat wrote:Yeah, didn't think so (as an aside, I actually am a member of ALPACA)

:?:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Pleasye wrote:I think the dude is trying to say he doesn't want to accidentally get picked for a diversity position and then go in for an interview and have them realize he's a white boy.

But I agree with everyone else, qualifying it would be weird. It's their bad if they make that assumption.

I realize that. If the firm thinks he's black and he's not that then that's their problem, not his.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 pm

bk1 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:I think the dude is trying to say he doesn't want to accidentally get picked for a diversity position and then go in for an interview and have them realize he's a white boy.

I realize that. If the firm thinks he's black and he's not that then that's their problem, not his.

Yep, plus it makes for a funny story for him later.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Yeah, didn't think so (as an aside, I actually am a member of ALPACA)

:?:

ALPACA, APALSA, what's the difference?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:40 am

Need advice.

Had a firm email me wanting to do a CB interview and the only time they can fit me in before I go back to school is on one day next week. On that day, I already have an informational lunch setup with 2 partners on the hiring committee of a different firm (that is not hiring 1Ls, this is more for next year).

Do I email the CB firm and say I'm free on that day, allowing them to schedule a lunch and politely back out of the informational lunch, or do I tell the CB firm that I am free, but have a lunch commitment and ask them to schedule either before or after?

I feel like it would be wrong to back out of the informational lunch, it is just frustrating since it might end up hurting me marginally in my pursuit of paid work THIS summer.

E- Sorry gonna cross post this in the "Heard back" thread, since it is probably more appropriate there.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:56 pm

I've sent in applications to a few places, and all but two haven't acknowledged receiving them. Is it standard to follow-up, say two weeks after sending it in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Does anyone (this is directed towards anyone who can respond accurately) know how long an interview with a judge typically lasts? And what he/she will want to know?

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone (this is directed towards anyone who can respond accurately) know how long an interview with a judge typically lasts? And what he/she will want to know?

Adding onto this, any advice about waiting until grades (end of January) to apply to judges. I am from a market where 1L SAs are possible, but most want to see grades first. Don't want a quick offer from a judge to ruin any chance (even though small) of a 1L SA. I also don't want to ruin chances with judges as it is my second choice.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:25 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone (this is directed towards anyone who can respond accurately) know how long an interview with a judge typically lasts? And what he/she will want to know?

Adding onto this, any advice about waiting until grades (end of January) to apply to judges. I am from a market where 1L SAs are possible, but most want to see grades first. Don't want a quick offer from a judge to ruin any chance (even though small) of a 1L SA. I also don't want to ruin chances with judges as it is my second choice.

My interviews with judges were all like 30 min. I was asked super general questions like what were my favorite 1L classes, random bits off my resume (like about what is was like growing up on a tobacco farm for example), what was the last book I read for pleasure, and to describe my sense of humor. They don't give a shit about what you actually know because the answer is nothing.

As for waiting for grades: None of the judges I interviewed with made hiring decisions until late Feb / March including the ones I interviewed with in January. However, I have heard some people who were hired on the spot. Waiting until you get grades is probably best. Also, if you've interviewed with a judge and haven't heard back, send a follow up before if you have a deadline and let them know that you have accepted another position if you haven't gotten a rejection. That got awkward for me.

beardown67

Postby beardown67 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:12 pm

Interview with a COA judge coming up (first choice for summer employment) - been told by email that the interview will be 30 min to an hr with him and then lunch with him and his clerks. This sounds like it'll be more substantial than what other people have talked about here, anyone have any thoughts on how to interact with the clerks/what to expect?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:52 pm

When I get back to campus I plan on spamming the hell out of judges my career office has a speed sheet with over 200 judges I plan on mail merging them and sending apps to all... Is this advised what happens on the rare chance I get say two or 3 offers the rule of never say no to a judge has to be worse when denying two or 3 of them right?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:12 am

beardown67 wrote:Interview with a COA judge coming up (first choice for summer employment) - been told by email that the interview will be 30 min to an hr with him and then lunch with him and his clerks. This sounds like it'll be more substantial than what other people have talked about here, anyone have any thoughts on how to interact with the clerks/what to expect?

Thanks!

Most judges will have you interview with the clerks too. They are usually pretty chill and will ask you just general things like "how do you like XYZ law school?" and things about you classes. Generally, the clerks will review your work first before the judge sees it and you work a lot with them so they have an interest in making sure your aren't weird or a douche. I'd bet this is the classic "fit" interview.

Anonymous User wrote:When I get back to campus I plan on spamming the hell out of judges my career office has a speed sheet with over 200 judges I plan on mail merging them and sending apps to all... Is this advised what happens on the rare chance I get say two or 3 offers the rule of never say no to a judge has to be worse when denying two or 3 of them right?

Meh. I said no to a judge. This isn't a clerkship where they are offering you an amazing opportunity and they will probably want to interview you first. The impression I got was that it was ok to tell a judge that you had already accepted a position if you hadn't interviewed with them yet (of course, providing that you actually had already accepted a position). What you don't want is to turn them down in anticipation for something else, to not inform them if you are waiting to hear back, or, especially, to renege after accepting.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:53 am

so i applied to 5 today - expecting 10 tomorrow - on forward so easily over 100 by the end of break....

should get something no? what other non-sites r there from our schools? just craigslist? i have a friend and something of a mentor (I see him as the man I'd like to be) who is a partner at a v-250 firm, but he's already written me an LOR already and has given free legal advice to my dad...... i just don't want to overstep the boundary because what i've gotten from our friendship is worth more to me than a legal hookup.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:18 am

beardown67 wrote:Interview with a COA judge coming up (first choice for summer employment) - been told by email that the interview will be 30 min to an hr with him and then lunch with him and his clerks. This sounds like it'll be more substantial than what other people have talked about here, anyone have any thoughts on how to interact with the clerks/what to expect?

Thanks!

Congrats! Most clerks are recent graduates (the judge may have a career clerk who's older), and they'll likely be the ones you'll be primarily working with, even if you have a judge who likes to mentor his externs. The fact that you have this interview is indication they find you capable. The lunch sounds like an opportunity to see if you'll fit with the social vibe of chambers.

My interview was very short, and I actually got and accepted the offer halfway through. Since judge interviews vary wildly, I'd just say go in with confidence that you're a smart person who can work hard (it's not about knowing all the answers but being able to find the answers), and bring lots of questions in case he expects you to carry the conversation.

For the lunch, just go in looking forward to meeting your new coworkers. They want to like you, and you want to like them. Act like you would with new work friends.

Good luck!

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Would anyone be open to looking over my resume?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:47 pm

HYS 1L here. Need advice.

Firm that I sent my materials to invited me for an "interview." They told me that the attire is business casual and that I'll be having lunch with the hiring partner. If it was an in office interview I would definitely bring my resume, but I'm debating whether I should bring it if we are just going to lunch. Also, is it too much to bring some holiday cookies to the hiring partner as a thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:47 pm

llachans wrote:Would anyone be open to looking over my resume?

I wouldn't mind looking at it, but I might not be the best at giving you advice

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HYS 1L here. Need advice.

Firm that I sent my materials invited me for an "interview." They told me that the attire is business casual and I'll be having lunch with the hiring partner. If it was an in office interview I would definitely bring my resume, but I'm debating whether I should bring it if we are just going to lunch. Also, is it too much to bring some holiday cookies to the hiring partner as a thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview?

Thanks in advance.
Don't be obvious about it but have your resume and a writing sample within easy access, just in case. Is it a hiring partner that you'd be giving the cookies to, or a hiring manager (non-lawyer)?

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Firm that I sent my materials to invited me for an "interview." They told me that the attire is business casual and that I'll be having lunch with the hiring partner. If it was an in office interview I would definitely bring my resume, but I'm debating whether I should bring it if we are just going to lunch. Also, is it too much to bring some holiday cookies to the hiring partner as a thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview?

Thanks in advance.

Cookies = too much. Follow up with a handwritten thank you card.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks in advance.

Always have the resume on hand as a "just in case" thing.

For the love of god, do not give them holiday cookies.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:21 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Always have the resume on hand as a "just in case" thing.

For the love of god, do not give them holiday cookies.

Very strong +1 to this.

Return to “Legal Employment”