1L Summer Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:04 pm

0L here, reading to get prepped for getting things together over the summer to mail in the fall. Two questions:

1. any problem with actually mailing (via snail mail) a cover letter and a resume to firms that hire 1L's and about 2 weeks or so later, emailing to make sure materials were received and attaching cover letter and resume to the email?

2. Also, what are some ways to indicate one is a URM in cover letter or 'application' if firm does not have a specific diversity program?

thanks

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:0L here, reading to get prepped for getting things together over the summer to mail in the fall. Two questions:

1. any problem with actually mailing (via snail mail) a cover letter and a resume to firms that hire 1L's and about 2 weeks or so later, emailing to make sure materials were received and attaching cover letter and resume to the email?

2. Also, what are some ways to indicate one is a URM in cover letter or 'application' if firm does not have a specific diversity program?

thanks

1. Yes, every other 1L will apply via email and to the extent you want to differentiate yourself it should be materially positive, not merely logistical. It's more expensive as well.

You also run the risk of pissing recruiting off because realistically they are now going to have to scan and catalog your documents. This also could lead to lower quality computer copies.

I personally think these considerations outweigh the chance you will get a boomer recruiting person who gets off to snail mail and then advantages your app as a result.

2. I think this is typically done via organizations (I.e black law students association, OUTLaw, etc.) or a resume/cover letter line tactfully inserted (I.e "participated in [formeremployer's] [obviousdiverseinitiative]")

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:20 pm

dingbat wrote:
JRustle wrote:So I have sent out apps to every firm that is listed as hiring 1Ls and I have ties, around ~35 total. 1 interview, couple informal lunches, and several "contact us after grades." Sitting on my hands for a couple of weeks, should I be contacting the "2L only" firms and trying to get lunches or stuff set up in prep for 2L hiring next august? Sending apps to 1L firms in places where I've got no ties?

Have you tried applying for...clerkships?

?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dingbat wrote:
JRustle wrote:So I have sent out apps to every firm that is listed as hiring 1Ls and I have ties, around ~35 total. 1 interview, couple informal lunches, and several "contact us after grades." Sitting on my hands for a couple of weeks, should I be contacting the "2L only" firms and trying to get lunches or stuff set up in prep for 2L hiring next august? Sending apps to 1L firms in places where I've got no ties?

Have you tried applying for...clerkships?

?

Sorry, I meant interning for a judge over summer.

manofjustice

Re: 1L Summer Job Search (Early Bird Special)

Postby manofjustice » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:48 pm

goldeneye wrote:
renardthecrocs wrote:
2014 wrote:Formatting ends up sucking, but I think I agree.

Are people doing .doc's or PDFs for resumes?

Unambiguously pdf. Doing it as a doc is just asking for the formatting to fuck up when they open it.

I may do my cover letters as an attachment. For those who don't know (not towards 2014 specifically, but general PSA): if you're attaching cover letter AND resume or resume AND supplemental materials, consolidate it into all one pdf. So the recruiter will open it and see pg 1 CL pg 2 resume pp 3-? writing sample etc.

we haven't gotten our memos back from our professor so I don't even have a writing sample. should I wait even longer to apply until I get this back? possibly Jan?

How bad of an idea is it to use your application personal statement as your writing sample. It's a really good PS, and related to why I want to practice law (of course it is...)...prolly a bad idea and no one got a 1L job doing this, right? I need to revise my research memo and send that?

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Sounds like a bad idea to me. For those employers that read it, I think the idea is to get an idea of your competence with legal writing, and your PS is probably far more poetic than your memo or w/e your first semester assignment was.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:10 am

I am having trouble with the opening paragraph for a cover email.
Basically, the firm is a boutique specializing in the field I want to work in, in the state I'd prefer to end up in (not my home state) and I'd love to end up there. Can you guys please help me fix the language?
As an aside, the second paragraph and my resume explain my background in that specialty field and are quite compelling, if I can get the person to read this.

Thanks

[stuff]
Last edited by dingbat on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:22 am

dingbat wrote:Etc.

I would search the NALP directory first to see if they hire 1L's. If you're still unsure, simply apply as a 1L. They'll either ignore your application or simply inform you they don't hire 1L's if they don't.

You can also call around to inquire if they hire 1L's but I'd think that is unnecessary.

You also probably don't want to be posting your cover letter on here.

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:26 am

whats the credited time for a follow up inquiry if there's been radio silence since applications?

does it change for firms, judge, PI stuff?

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:54 am

jacksonmead wrote:whats the credited time for a follow up inquiry if there's been radio silence since applications?

does it change for firms, judge, PI stuff?

I'd say 3 weeks. You can follow up gently e.g. "just making sure you've received my app."

A. Nony Mouse

Re: 1L Summer Job Search (Early Bird Special)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 am

manofjustice wrote:How bad of an idea is it to use your application personal statement as your writing sample. It's a really good PS, and related to why I want to practice law (of course it is...)...prolly a bad idea and no one got a 1L job doing this, right? I need to revise my research memo and send that?

Yeah, totally don't use your PS. Employers want to see an example of your legal writing, because that's what you'll be doing; they don't care about why you want to practice law. The PS is a completely useless piece of writing for anything other than LS apps.

JRustle

Postby JRustle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:37 pm

dingbat wrote:

Have you tried applying for corporate jobs, PI or clerkships?

I can't afford to do a judicial internship; PI would be nice if it was paid but again I think I'd do research assistant before that.

How do you locate corporate stuff? I'm assuming you mean like legal department internships for hospitals, random large companies, etc?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:47 pm

So.. uhhh. Does anyone know where to even start to look for job... at all?

Had late finals, so after coming home and such figured I'd really trying to get on my "grind" today.

Went on symplicity, looked 1L my home state... 0 jobs. Looking for 1L's around area of school, found 6 diversity positions (white straight male from middle class). I kind of don't even know what to do right now tbh...

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So.. uhhh. Does anyone know where to even start to look for job... at all?

Had late finals, so after coming home and such figured I'd really trying to get on my "grind" today.

Went on symplicity, looked 1L my home state... 0 jobs. Looking for 1L's around area of school, found 6 diversity positions (white straight male from middle class). I kind of don't even know what to do right now tbh...

crucial use of anon, dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:56 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So.. uhhh. Does anyone know where to even start to look for job... at all?

crucial use of anon, dude.

I figured was weak use, but due to my usage of site, but due to my usage of the site its been pretty obvious to a lot of people who I am. Figured may not be a good look to just post "I'm pretty lost right now."

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Are you in school in any sort of big city? Does your school fund PI summers? If yes to both, just cold email any number of PI legal organizations expressing interest in working for free.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:04 pm

so if ur part of racial group student associations of other races, should you somehow qualify them on your resume so people don't assume you're that race? i'm not an asian black man, and am neither one.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:06 pm

uvabro wrote:so if ur part of racial group student associations of other races, should you somehow qualify them on your resume so people don't assume you're that race? i'm not an asian black man, and am neither one.

No,you don't need to qualify that you aren't Asian if you're in APALSA. That would be weird and awkward to do.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:17 pm

bk1 wrote:
uvabro wrote:so if ur part of racial group student associations of other races, should you somehow qualify them on your resume so people don't assume you're that race? i'm not an asian black man, and am neither one.

No,you don't need to qualify that you aren't Asian if you're in APALSA. That would be weird and awkward to do.

So what would happen if I, a member of APALSA, show up to an event looking all European like? What if it were BLSA?

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:55 pm

This search is fun with no grades!
Last edited by JG7773 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Apologies if the cross-post is a problem. Doing it in case 1Ls and 2Ls still hunting for work are following different threads here.

=========
1Ls and 2Ls:

Summer Clerk Smith Spires & Peddy (Birmingham, AL)
Posted: [redacted]
Division N/A Desired Class Level(s) 1L, 2L
Compensation Type Hourly
Smith Spires & Peddy (Birmingham, AL)
Employer Profile
Description

Law clerk who is available to work the full summer at an insurance defense firm. Clerk will primarily perform research and writing tasks (e.g., memos, briefs, msjs, etc.) but will also be able to attend hearings, depositions, mediations, etc.
Geographic Preference
Alabama -- Birmingham
Position Type
Law Clerk, Summer Clerkship
Practice Area(s)
Construction, Insurance, Insurance Defense, Litigation, Malpractice - Defense, Negligence & Personal Injury, Worker's Compensation
Contact Information
Employer: Smith Spires & Peddy (Birmingham, AL)
Name: Mrs Jennifer Pickett
E-mail: jenniferw@ssp-law.com
Phone: 205-251-5885
Fax: 205-251-8642
Address: 2015 Second Avenue North,
Suite 200
Birmingham, Alabama

Apply until: Jan 10, 2013

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:09 am

bk1 wrote:

i agree it's weird. i just don't want to mislead anybody!!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Sooo when attaching resume, cover letter and writing sample to an email should they all be attached as one big PDF? or separate PDFs?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Pleasye wrote:Sooo when attaching resume, cover letter and writing sample to an email should they all be attached as one big PDF? or separate PDFs?

It probably doesn't matter. I do separate PDFs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:48 pm

dingbat wrote:So what would happen if I, a member of APALSA, show up to an event looking all European like? What if it were BLSA?

What are you talking about? Nothing would happen. APALSA isn't the "Asians only club" and BLSA isn't the "blacks only club."

Return to “Legal Employment”