1L Summer Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Job Search (Early Bird Special)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 pm

2014 wrote:
renardthecrocs wrote:FWIW were dings from big cities? I've been putting off mass mailing NYC and Chi and with the responses I've heard from classmates, I think it's probably not even worth the time I'd have to put in mail merging to throw apps at those cities.

Know of a few NYC dings, didn't apply personally.
I did Chicago and I have 1 ding not hiring, Proskauer saying do winter OCI here, and another that classmates have been dinged at so it might as well be.

There are like 10 1L slots in the city though, so it isn't worth it unless you are from here or go to UC or NU imo.

As a former Loyola 1L who rocked first semester, I concur. Those NW/UC kids take everything.

renardthecrocs

Postby renardthecrocs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Chicago's probably my strongest market and it's where I have my soft offers for in-house stuff, but I'm at lower T14 not-UC/NU so I'm not going to take the chance. I have way too much outlining to do to waste time mail merging for that bish.

Congrats on the interview!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 am

2014 wrote:I did Chicago and I have 1 ding not hiring, Proskauer saying do winter OCI here, and another that classmates have been dinged at so it might as well be.

There are like 10 1L slots in the city though, so it isn't worth it unless you are from here or go to UC or NU imo.

As a former Loyola 1L who rocked first semester, I concur. Those NW/UC kids take everything.

There may be a few more than 10, but not a ton. Keep an eye on simplicity and don't commit to something you're not enamored with early on. The timelines for various gigs were pretty different. One firm I applied to stopped accepting apps in mid-December, had screeners in late-December/January, and had offers out a few weeks after grades came out. Other firms were still sending screener invites in mid/late February after I had already accepted another offer.

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:14 am

bdubs wrote:
2014 wrote:I did Chicago and I have 1 ding not hiring, Proskauer saying do winter OCI here, and another that classmates have been dinged at so it might as well be.

There may be a few more than 10, but not a ton. Keep an eye on simplicity and don't commit to something you're not enamored with early on. The timelines for various gigs were pretty different. One firm I applied to stopped accepting apps in mid-December, had screeners in late-December/January, and had offers out a few weeks after grades came out. Other firms were still sending screener invites in mid/late February after I had already accepted another offer.

The luxury of choosing between job offers is unimaginable right now.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:02 am

tamereth wrote:
bdubs wrote:

The luxury of choosing between job offers is unimaginable right now.

I meant not to commit to judicial practicums and other non-SA spots, but yeah it really only takes one offer for 1L.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm

What should the heading of an email say?
If applying to a law firm? Corporate?
If you've been referred?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Sent out letters to 86 federal judges today. Fuark that was expensive between the good paper, shipping, labels, and envelopes.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:00 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Sent out letters to 86 federal judges today. Fuark that was expensive between the good paper, shipping, labels, and envelopes.

I heard judges won't even look at your application until you have grades...true?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Sent out letters to 86 federal judges today. Fuark that was expensive between the good paper, shipping, labels, and envelopes.

I heard judges won't even look at your application until you have grades...true?

Have heard anecdotes of students at my school getting interviews without grades. I think it just depends on the judge.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:05 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Have heard anecdotes of students at my school getting interviews without grades. I think it just depends on the judge.

I sent out an obscene amount of these letters. But I've heard the same thing. Some will hire without grades, some will interview without grades, even heard some have hired without interviewing. It's a mixed bag and a very individual process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Applied to all seven Big Law firms in Houston that have 1L SAs. So far one interview and one "come to our reception" e-mails and the rest are silent. Both e-mails said to send in grades when available.

UT Law, non-IP, URM, from Houston.

I wonder what the ratio is of number of interviews a firm will usually schedule for 1L SAs versus open spots? 10 to 1, 50 to 1, 100 to 1?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applied to all seven Big Law firms in Houston that have 1L SAs. So far one interview and one "come to our reception" e-mails and the rest are silent. Both e-mails said to send in grades when available.

I wonder what the ratio is of number of interviews a firm will usually schedule for 1L SAs versus open spots? 10 to 1, 50 to 1, 100 to 1?

What firm is the interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Applied to all seven Big Law firms in Houston that have 1L SAs. So far one interview and one "come to our reception" e-mails and the rest are silent. Both e-mails said to send in grades when available.

Hayboo. Interview e-mail sounded generic.

Locke Lord sent out the "come to reception" e-mail.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Jerbs RIGHT NOW? WTF is wrong with you people?

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:57 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Jerbs RIGHT NOW? WTF is wrong with you people?

I dunno. We read about and see all of the horrible, awful job markets, and hear about how only 50% of our class is gonna be employed. That stuff is plastered all over this website. Then, for some strange reason, we go "hey, I should get working on this job thing now."

Seems like a pretty reasonable reaction to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Jerbs RIGHT NOW? WTF is wrong with you people?

I dunno. We read about and see all of the horrible, awful job markets, and hear about how only 50% of our class is gonna be employed. That stuff is plastered all over this website. Then, for some strange reason, we go "hey, I should get working on this job thing now."

Seems like a pretty reasonable reaction to me.

Big difference between 1L summer jobs and 2L summer/full-time jobs.

msblaw89 wrote:I heard judges won't even look at your application until you have grades...true?

Last year, I interviewed with and received an offer from a COA judge without grades. I had another interview with a COA judge and a few D. Ct. judges (in a top district) before I had grades, but those wanted grades before making a final decision. If there's something you really want, it can pay to apply early.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hayboo. Interview e-mail sounded generic.

Locke Lord sent out the "come to reception" e-mail.

Haynes and Boone sent you an email about setting up an interview already? Damn, I havent heard a peep from them, then again im not URM :(

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Can someone direct me to a thread such as " how to apply to federal judge internships for 1ls" ... if there is something like that out there. I'm not really sure what the correct procedure is

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:12 pm

To everyone looking for jobs, I highly recommend being an RA.

If you can do it with a prominent professor, it is a great relationship to have. You get paid. It's low stress and you generally do work on your own time. And, if you like where your school is or have a significant other who is at the school with you, you can spend the entire summer with them.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:34 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Can someone direct me to a thread such as " how to apply to federal judge internships for 1ls" ... if there is something like that out there. I'm not really sure what the correct procedure is

Call chambers, ask if they are taking applications for interns (they are, but ask anyway), ask what they want (cover letter, resume, writing sample, transcript, but ask anyway) and how they want them submitted (snail mail or email). Follow their instructions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Received not one, but two dings from Porzio in Newark.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Is it a bad thing to apply to more than one office of the same firm?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Unagi wrote:Is it a bad thing to apply to more than one office of the same firm?

Career services here told me not to do more than 2, but I'm applying to multiple offices in one state (so the same recruiting person). Not sure what the etiquette is on offices which have separate recruiting managers.

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:42 pm

I just did one office per firm, it helped me to limit my numbers to something manageable honestly.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 am

Unagi wrote:Is it a bad thing to apply to more than one office of the same firm?

No.

Return to “Legal Employment”