1L Summer Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goldeneye

Silver

Re: 1L Summer Job Search (Early Bird Special)

Post by goldeneye » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:21 am

2014 wrote:"Future associate seeking destiny"

Idk I'm probably going to put SchoolX 1L Summer Associate Application
I had this massive plan to submit. And then finals train hit me. Holding off until after finals. Won't affect me I hope since most firms will wait for grades anyways I feel.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:36 am

goldeneye wrote:
2014 wrote:"Future associate seeking destiny"

Idk I'm probably going to put SchoolX 1L Summer Associate Application
I had this massive plan to submit. And then finals train hit me. Holding off until after finals. Won't affect me I hope since most firms will wait for grades anyways I feel.
Same boat as like 95% of us honestly.
I have a list of firms, but I haven't finished my cover letters yet so god only knows if I'll get it done before finals either. Our schedule is really light in the fall though so it's not really a time constraint.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:51 am

jumping in on this boat. Did the resume books but I'm not applying to anything that requires effort until christmas.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:44 am

Blumpbeef wrote:jumping in on this boat. Did the resume books but I'm not applying to anything that requires effort until christmas.
What's that?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:45 am

Well here we go...

Good luck to us all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:08 am

So TCR is emails to everyone except judges right?

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:00 am

Gonna put a few apps in the mail today (3 tops), hope to mass mail e-mail all my secondary markets as soon as I figure mail merge out, and hopefully finish up with government stuff by the end of the weekend. I already have what appears to be a soft-ish offer to do unpaid in-house in target market this summer so the pressure is far less than what it was a few weeks ago, but it's still nerve-racking. Good luck everyone!

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:03 am

InGoodFaith wrote:So TCR is emails to everyone except judges right?
With the exception of a few small-town places (that I feel like I have a greater shot at than the typical mass mail endeavor), email is proper here. Our CPO said email recruiter with cover letter, resume, and any supp materials, and additionally (even if not at the time), email an alum in the office to talk about the application. That's for big firms; small firms just email your contact right away if you have one.

I think gov is mostly done online but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:29 am

renardthecrocs wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:So TCR is emails to everyone except judges right?
With the exception of a few small-town places (that I feel like I have a greater shot at than the typical mass mail endeavor), email is proper here. Our CPO said email recruiter with cover letter, resume, and any supp materials, and additionally (even if not at the time), email an alum in the office to talk about the application. That's for big firms; small firms just email your contact right away if you have one.

I think gov is mostly done online but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
A bunch of USAOs ask for paper mailing, but mostly, yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:44 am

Since there is no clear answer, are you guys doing your CL in the body of the email or an attachment?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:46 am

Body. I think it's easier for the recruiter, but who knows. Also, then you don't have to do the awkward thing where you write the email that's not really a cover letter but still has to do the same thing in the body.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 am

Formatting ends up sucking, but I think I agree.

Are people doing .doc's or PDFs for resumes?

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 am

2014 wrote:Formatting ends up sucking, but I think I agree.

Unambiguously pdf. Doing it as a doc is just asking for the formatting to fuck up when they open it.

I may do my cover letters as an attachment. For those who don't know (not towards 2014 specifically, but general PSA): if you're attaching cover letter AND resume or resume AND supplemental materials, consolidate it into all one pdf. So the recruiter will open it and see pg 1 CL pg 2 resume pp 3-? writing sample etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:26 am

When you put your cover letter in the body of the email, do you still put addresses and date, or you just start with Dear Mr. X?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:27 am

renardthecrocs wrote:

Unambiguously pdf. Doing it as a doc is just asking for the formatting to fuck up when they open it.

I may do my cover letters as an attachment. For those who don't know (not towards 2014 specifically, but general PSA): if you're attaching cover letter AND resume or resume AND supplemental materials, consolidate it into all one pdf. So the recruiter will open it and see pg 1 CL pg 2 resume pp 3-? writing sample etc.
we haven't gotten our memos back from our professor so I don't even have a writing sample. should I wait even longer to apply until I get this back? possibly Jan?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 am

Unagi wrote:When you put your cover letter in the body of the email, do you still put addresses and date, or you just start with Dear Mr. X?
start with dear Ms. X, said CSO here.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:32 am

goldeneye wrote:
renardthecrocs wrote:

we haven't gotten our memos back from our professor so I don't even have a writing sample. should I wait even longer to apply until I get this back? possibly Jan?
You still have a copy of it though, don't you? You can't say anything like "I got an A" but presumably you still can access it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
Unagi wrote:When you put your cover letter in the body of the email, do you still put addresses and date, or you just start with Dear Mr. X?
I'm assuming our physical address will go at the bottom somewhere then right? Don't some firms snail mail rejections even if you apply by email?

For those of you with writing samples ready to go, are you including them with your initial communication or waiting until they ask?

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:39 am

2014 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
I'm assuming our physical address will go at the bottom somewhere then right? Don't some firms snail mail rejections even if you apply by email?

For those of you with writing samples ready to go, are you including them with your initial communication or waiting until they ask?
I don't think I'm doing writing samples for firm stuff unless they ask. If I were applying to judges (which I feel like I'm taking a major gamble by not doing), I would send the writing sample with the initial application. Is that the consensus?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:41 am

That makes sense, I'll go with it too.

We don't get funding for judges so I ruled that out long ago. Might be a good experience, but I can't afford 1k/month in rent without at least minimal help from school :(

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:42 am

2014 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Thanks Scarlet!
2014, they can see our addresses on our resume right? I don't know if we should put it again on the body of the email, specially if we start with Dear Mr. X. It seems a little strange to me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:43 am

Unagi wrote:
2014 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Thanks Scarlet!
2014, they can see our addresses on our resume right? I don't know if we should put it again on the body of the email, specially if we start with Dear Mr. X. It seems a little strange to me.
Email signature?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:44 am

Oh good call, it is in the resume.

I emailed my OCS person for his take on CL etiquette on the off chance that he feels like checking his email on the weekend, I'll let you guys know if he says anything revolutionary.

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:47 am

2014 wrote:Oh good call, it is in the resume.

I emailed my OCS person for his take on CL etiquette on the off chance that he feels like checking his email on the weekend, I'll let you guys know if he says anything revolutionary.
:lol:

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:49 am

Mailed. That. Shit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”