1L Summer Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueLotus

Gold

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the fashion advice, ladies. At my last job (domestic violence hotline advocate) I could do sweats and tank-tops, so this gettin' fancy for work thing is quite new to me. :D

Just got an email from the supervisor of a job I withdrew from for another opportunity, and she said that I had an impressive resume and that she would certainly like to consider me for an internship for the summer of 2014! Hope this is a good sign for 2L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Question: I'm a minority student and got in to a firm through a minority program. Did a screener and got a straight offer, but my grades are not really that great. Had a good interview & somewhat good resume. Now I'm worried that maybe this means they don't really care about their minority program aka not expecting to hire me after graduation? Looked at their recent hires from my school and were all really impressive people (law review, top of the class, etc) and that's not me at all. Am I just being paranoid or is this actually valid for minority programs?

SouthernMiss

New

Post by SouthernMiss » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 am

Question: In your experience, do employers let you know when you have been rejected, or do most employers just not respond as a means of rejection? I have sent out about 40+ apps, got rejected from 3. No word from any others, beyond the occasional "we received your app" immediately after I sent it in. The vast majority of my apps went towards gov't/PI jobs. I am assuming a few weeks of silence likely means rejection, but I would prefer not to guess. Thanks for any input. Either way, I am cranking out apps every day, I'm just curious as to the industry practice.

ETA: I have no idea if this is relevant, but I'm at a T20 with median grades.

SouthernMiss

New

Post by SouthernMiss » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else unemployed and starting to worry?
I was doing okay, but this week so many of my classmates have been firing off facebook posts about summer internships they've nailed and it's a little distressing. Sending off apps on a daily basis and really hoping something pulls through.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 am

SouthernMiss wrote:Question: In your experience, do employers let you know when you have been rejected, or do most employers just not respond as a means of rejection? I have sent out about 40+ apps, got rejected from 3. No word from any others, beyond the occasional "we received your app" immediately after I sent it in. The vast majority of my apps went towards gov't/PI jobs. I am assuming a few weeks of silence likely means rejection, but I would prefer not to guess. Thanks for any input. Either way, I am cranking out apps every day, I'm just curious as to the industry practice.

I only got a formal rejection from 3 jobs total when I was applying to 1L jobs. Plenty just never tell you. It's generally fair to assume that if you haven't heard something after a few weeks/a month, they're not interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 am

Dany wrote:
SouthernMiss wrote:Question: In your experience, do employers let you know when you have been rejected, or do most employers just not respond as a means of rejection? I have sent out about 40+ apps, got rejected from 3. No word from any others, beyond the occasional "we received your app" immediately after I sent it in. The vast majority of my apps went towards gov't/PI jobs. I am assuming a few weeks of silence likely means rejection, but I would prefer not to guess. Thanks for any input. Either way, I am cranking out apps every day, I'm just curious as to the industry practice.

I only got a formal rejection from 3 jobs total when I was applying to 1L jobs. Plenty just never tell you. It's generally fair to assume that if you haven't heard something after a few weeks/a month, they're not interested.
I got a bunch of "sorry, we're full" responses within a day or two of certain applications, which was nice.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:51 am

Probably means rejection, but government stuff can be realllllly slow. So a few weeks might not mean anything. (Not that that's especially definitive, but...)

gnuwheels

Bronze

Post by gnuwheels » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 am

Similar boat, but I wouldn't count anything out necessarily. I had a spreadsheet with jobs I applied to and after 40+ apps and a similar amount heard back from, I all of a sudden got an interview request (last week) from the first job I applied to back in December. Gov't, btw.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:06 am

SouthernMiss wrote:many of my classmates have been firing off facebook posts about summer internships they've nailed
Law students are truly awful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: I'm a minority student and got in to a firm through a minority program. Did a screener and got a straight offer, but my grades are not really that great. Had a good interview & somewhat good resume. Now I'm worried that maybe this means they don't really care about their minority program aka not expecting to hire me after graduation? Looked at their recent hires from my school and were all really impressive people (law review, top of the class, etc) and that's not me at all. Am I just being paranoid or is this actually valid for minority programs?
I've heard that some firms treat minority SAs differently than regular SAs, but every person I've ever seen get a minority SA has been treated just like a regular SA. My suspicion is that they probably are okay with your grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: I'm a minority student and got in to a firm through a minority program. Did a screener and got a straight offer, but my grades are not really that great. Had a good interview & somewhat good resume. Now I'm worried that maybe this means they don't really care about their minority program aka not expecting to hire me after graduation? Looked at their recent hires from my school and were all really impressive people (law review, top of the class, etc) and that's not me at all. Am I just being paranoid or is this actually valid for minority programs?
You are just being paranoid. If you got an offer than your grades/school rank were good enough. Just do a good job this summer and you will be fine.

source: I was a diversity 1L intern at a firm this summer and got an offer to come back even with median grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:35 am

I'm in a bit of a panic. I've applied to roughly 17 jobs. I've scheduled interviews with two (one of which I completed this week). I know 17 isn't a huge amount but I just can't find places to apply! I've exhausted symplicity, craigslist is useless, and a lot of the other sites are repeats of symplicity. How do I find out who is hiring 1Ls?!?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:51 am

How does one find contact info for trial court judges?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a bit of a panic. I've applied to roughly 17 jobs. I've scheduled interviews with two (one of which I completed this week). I know 17 isn't a huge amount but I just can't find places to apply! I've exhausted symplicity, craigslist is useless, and a lot of the other sites are repeats of symplicity. How do I find out who is hiring 1Ls?!?!
Does your CSO not help you at all? Apply to every federal judge, state judge, federal agency, state agency, law related public interest org, and firm in every city you would be okay with working in.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:17 pm

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a bit of a panic. I've applied to roughly 17 jobs. I've scheduled interviews with two (one of which I completed this week). I know 17 isn't a huge amount but I just can't find places to apply! I've exhausted symplicity, craigslist is useless, and a lot of the other sites are repeats of symplicity. How do I find out who is hiring 1Ls?!?!
Does your CSO not help you at all? Apply to every federal judge, state judge, federal agency, state agency, law related public interest org, and firm in every city you would be okay with working in.
This. I basically applied everywhere. Just googling law internship should have given you more than 17 places to apply to.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Let me Google that for you. Fourth result in particular is my go-to source for job postings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm

piccolittle wrote: Let me Google that for you. Fourth result in particular is my go-to source for job postings.
My state doesn't have any jobs on there. That's the problem I keep running into. I'm really not trying to be difficult but there's really no searches that pop up other than the ones I've applied to (I haven't been picky about where I've chosen to apply). My CDO is pretty useless. I scheduled yet another appointment with them but am really not expecting much. I was figuring you guys might have some suggestions : (

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My state doesn't have any jobs on there. That's the problem I keep running into. I'm really not trying to be difficult but there's really no searches that pop up other than the ones I've applied to (I haven't been picky about where I've chosen to apply).
There has to be more than 17 judges and agencies in your state.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:46 pm

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My state doesn't have any jobs on there. That's the problem I keep running into. I'm really not trying to be difficult but there's really no searches that pop up other than the ones I've applied to (I haven't been picky about where I've chosen to apply).
Also, do you need to stay in-state for some reason? A paid internship in another state is a hell of a lot better than nothing in your home state. A lot of people spend 1L summer in a different part of the country than the one they're hoping to settle in.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:09 pm

piccolittle wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Also, do you need to stay in-state for some reason? A paid internship in another state is a hell of a lot better than nothing in your home state. A lot of people spend 1L summer in a different part of the country than the one they're hoping to settle in.
It's not the easiest thing in the world to get a paid internship as a 1L in a state you presumably have no connections in.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Dany wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
bk187 wrote:
It's not the easiest thing in the world to get a paid internship as a 1L in a state you presumably have no connections in.
Yeah, true, it just sounded like OP was frustrated because they were only looking in-state. Even PI stuff out-of-state works if your school will provide funding. Then again, I have no idea who OP is, what school they go to, or what kind of work they are interested in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 pm

piccolittle wrote: Also, do you need to stay in-state for some reason? A paid internship in another state is a hell of a lot better than nothing in your home state. A lot of people spend 1L summer in a different part of the country than the one they're hoping to settle in.
I'm at a TTT. I have connections to the state I am and one other. I'm limiting my job search to both of those given my school rank.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:22 am

Any thoughts on applying to bankruptcy judges for 1L summer with no real experience in bankruptcy? Just trying to think of other places to apply. I'm above median at a lower T14 that has already sent out nearly 60 applications and still hasn't received an offer. Any other ideas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:13 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
piccolittle wrote: Also, do you need to stay in-state for some reason? A paid internship in another state is a hell of a lot better than nothing in your home state. A lot of people spend 1L summer in a different part of the country than the one they're hoping to settle in.
I'm at a TTT. I have connections to the state I am and one other. I'm limiting my job search to both of those given my school rank.
You're anon we know nothing about you. Why not just mention the state so that maybe we can help you. Even if you're from a low population state like Wyoming or Alaska I promise we still will have no idea who you are.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”