1L Summer Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AreJay711

Gold

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:41 pm

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer for a public interest gig and the deadline they gave me to accept it is 03/04.
I just had a CB at a big law firm and they are giving me an answer on 03/11. I'm also waiting to hear from a company for an in-house position, but they didn't tell me when they are getting back to applicants.
I felt the interviews went well, but I know how difficult it is to get the actual job.
The truth is I am tired of looking and feel this have kept me from studying.
How bad it would be if I accept the PI offer and later, in the event I get the SA or the in-house job, I tell the PI lady I am not going?
There is no possibility of getting an extension for the PI offer, by the way.
I would avoid reneging. While it probably won't hurt you (since I doubt the PI employer is going to take you to task for it), it just looks bad and is a dick move doing it in advance. If you want a possible 1L SA, suck it up and turn down the PI gig. It'll take you a bit more work to keep applying if you don't get it but it's probably worth the chance of getting it.
I reneged on a PI organization. It was a dick move, but whatever. That said, I think people freak out about 1L jobs. Don't feel pressured to take the first thing that comes your way -- if you are willing to work for free, someone will take you.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Ladies (and gay boys, I guess, lol), when it comes to heels, how high is too high? I'm average height--5'5''.

None of my previous jobs required dressing up, so I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to work fashion, lol.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:01 pm

As long as the rest of your outfit is conservative and office-appropriate, I'd say up to 4" are fine. Stay away from platforms and stuff though. I worked at a firm last summer and all my heels are 4" and nobody cared. I'm 5'4".

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm working in Legal Aid, if that makes a difference.

JO 14

New

Post by JO 14 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:20 pm

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I got an offer from a firm, and am still waiting to hear from 2 at which I've done callbacks. Any advice on how to phrase an email telling them that I need to know in the next week or so?
Dear RECRUITER,

My name is ANON and I had a callback on DATE. I am interested in working for YOURFIRM and I was wondering when I should expect to hear back a response. I ask because I have a deadline expiring for another offer on DEADLINE and was wondering if it would be possible to hear back before then. If that is possible I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
ANON
.... after you send your email and the firm replies asking the name of the firm that made the offer, what then?

And yes, they sometimes ask. Not sure how to respond. Opinion?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:44 pm

JO 14 wrote:.... after you send your email and the firm replies asking the name of the firm that made the offer, what then?

I would just tell them. If you think letting them know the exact truth might make them more reluctant then maybe be more vague. e.g. if their firm is in Dallas and your other offer is in NYC then maybe don't let them know the city, just firm name. Or if that firm isn't in the region at all then maybe just say "another large firm." I think it's best to just be honest but there could be times where the truth could hurt you with them.

JO 14

New

Post by JO 14 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:52 pm

bk187 wrote:
JO 14 wrote:.... after you send your email and the firm replies asking the name of the firm that made the offer, what then?

I would just tell them. If you think letting them know the exact truth might make them more reluctant then maybe be more vague. e.g. if their firm is in Dallas and your other offer is in NYC then maybe don't let them know the city, just firm name. Or if that firm isn't in the region at all then maybe just say "another large firm." I think it's best to just be honest but there could be times where the truth could hurt you with them.
I absolutely agree… try and play a little dodge ball with them.

In my case the firms are very well acquainted. Honestly, there may be no way to skirt the question. IMHO: They are lock-stepped trained to inquire nicely and take notes. (“for our records”…. would you mind divulging…”). Like honey dripping off their lips. (Or Like Obama saying to Romney…. Please step this way.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 am

Anyone else unemployed and starting to worry?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else unemployed and starting to worry?
Don't stress out. There are still tons of 1L jobs to be had. You should definitely be applying to a lot of things, but it's not worrisome to still be looking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rshin12

New

Post by rshin12 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 am

Just received a USAO offer. Trying to gauge the relative prestige. I also have some paid offers, but not biglaw. Thoughts?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:43 am

rshin12 wrote:Just received a USAO offer. Trying to gauge the relative prestige. I also have some paid offers, but not biglaw. Thoughts?
Take one of the paid offers. Don't concern yourself with "gauging the relative prestige"--this is your 1L summer. It doesn't matter what u do as long as u work in a legal capacity, get positive references, create a solid writing sample, and gain interesting experiences to talk about at OCI.

rshin12

New

Post by rshin12 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
rshin12 wrote:Just received a USAO offer. Trying to gauge the relative prestige. I also have some paid offers, but not biglaw. Thoughts?
Take one of the paid offers. Don't concern yourself with "gauging the relative prestige"--this is your 1L summer. It doesn't matter what u do as long as u work in a legal capacity, get positive references, create a solid writing sample, and gain interesting experiences to talk about at OCI.
Thanks, but is USAO difficult to get or dime a dozen? USAO is a great learning experience too, right?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:38 pm

rshin12 wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
Thanks, but is USAO difficult to get or dime a dozen? USAO is a great learning experience too, right?
I'm sure it is, but employers will understand the financial pressures students experience that compel them to take paid positions. Congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Ladies, are peep toes OK or should all shoes be close-toed at work?

Should shoulder length hair be worn up?

For skirt suits, only navies, greys, and blacks are credited, right? FYI, I am not working in a firm or a "whiteshoe" kind of environment at all (immigration legal aid society).

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Do profs at your school offer paid RA positions? Did u check the U of A Gov Honors listings? Many have deadlines as late as April. It's not too late for direct services stuff either--check out Idealist and PSJD. No need to worry yet!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
Do profs at your school offer paid RA positions? Did u check the U of A Gov Honors listings? Many have deadlines as late as April. It's not too late for direct services stuff either--check out Idealist and PSJD. No need to worry yet!
Also check in-house listings. Corporations hire super late and some of them haven't even opened applications yet.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Ladies, are peep toes OK or should all shoes be close-toed at work?

Should shoulder length hair be worn up?

For skirt suits, only navies, greys, and blacks are credited, right? FYI, I am not working in a firm or a "whiteshoe" kind of environment at all (immigration legal aid society).
Interview wear is not what you need to wear to work (in most cases). The answers to these questions really depend on where you're working, and the safest thing to do is show up in conservative wear the first day or so (suit, pumps) and see what everyone wears. Then take your cue from those who work there (not other summer interns).

That said, at an immigration legal aid society, I would expect peep toe shoes to be fine (though perhaps not for court, depending on where you'd be appearing). Hair is totally fine down, up, whatever you prefer as long as it's relatively neat and you're not going to twiddle with it all day long (because that tends to make you look young/not serious) (so for similar reasons, I'd avoid pigtails or the like, but otherwise, it really doesn't matter).

For suits, "only navy/gray/black" is an interview standard. I don't think most women law students can pull off, say, the Hillary Clinton/Nancy Pelosi all-red or all-cobalt pant suit, but you're not stuck with only navy/gray/black - you can likely go with khaki, patterns, colored separates. But you may well also find that people don't wear suits at all unless they're scheduled to be in court (or meeting with clients, though I don't know how that plays out for immigration legal aid). So I would wait to see what people wear before investing in a major work wardrobe.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I would take the money over USAO. It really doesn't matter what you do 1L summer though, and the friends I had that worked with USAOs really liked it. Just work where you want.

Also, I avoid peep-toes at the office just because I don't think seeing people's toes is that professional and because I wore hose every day. I'm not sure anyone cares that much, I just personally kept to close-toed shoes. Wear your hair however you want as long as it looks professional. No one cares if your hair is up or down.

I'd also keep to those colors for suits, but only because they're the most versatile and work in summer/colder months and in court. If you really wanted to add a lighter color summer suit you could, but I think sticking to year-round colors just makes more sense for the money.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Oops, yeah, I meant to say that navy/gray/black are court standards, too, so I agree with Dany in that respect - the classics are certainly safer.

decentalias

New

Post by decentalias » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

piccolittle wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
Also check in-house listings. Corporations hire super late and some of them haven't even opened applications yet.
Is there a database or something for in-house stuff? Or do people go to each individual site? I've done the latter a bit, but it seemed like lots of places had no mention of legal intern gigs.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:48 pm

rshin12 wrote:Thanks, but is USAO difficult to get or dime a dozen? USAO is a great learning experience too, right?
I think it might be "difficult" to get in the summer when there are tons of applicants, but the fact that it's harder to get than other things doesn't mean anything. It's probably a fun experience but I wouldn't call it a "great learning experience." Though if you intern as a 3L you probably get to prosecute petty offenses which is neat. Keep in mind if you're near a USAO you can intern at there during the school year if you really want to experience it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:06 am

decentalias wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
Is there a database or something for in-house stuff? Or do people go to each individual site? I've done the latter a bit, but it seemed like lots of places had no mention of legal intern gigs.
I really love lawstudentjobs.net for in-house stuff. Also I think Facebook might still be hiring if you check out their careers site.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Stuff is definitely picking up. For one, my career services told me that the vast majority of students get their 1L summer jobs in March. Also, two weeks ago I was sitting on no offers, two rejections and like 40+ dead silence. In the last two weeks I got six interview requests and two offers. and i'm pretty much in the bottom of my class.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:55 pm

2 more girly ?s, lol:

Should nails remain unpainted, or are "normal" colors (i.e. shades of red) all right at work?

Skirts an inch or two above the knee are kosher, right?

Also, is anyone else here doing PI this summer applying for outside summer stipends, like Equal Justice America, Equal Justice Works Summer Corps, etc.? How competitive are they? Are top grades crucial? Unfortunately, stipends at my school are not guaranteed for all who need them because there is such high demand.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:00 pm

PinkLotus wrote:2 more girly ?s, lol:

Should nails remain unpainted, or are "normal" colors (i.e. shades of red) all right at work?

Skirts an inch or two above the knee are kosher, right?
You can paint your nails. I personally wouldn't do any crazy colors though. And skirts an inch or two above the knee should be perfectly fine, just make sure that there's not a slit in the back that goes up too high, and make sure it looks appropriate when you're sitting down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”