1L Summer Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
bk187 wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Are diversity fellowships geared towards URMs or students of color in general? There isn't exactly a dearth of South Asians in the legal communities I'm targeting, lol.
They are broader than URMs, often including straight up plain ol' women.
Are non-URMS and URMs viewed differently, though, as in admissions? I mean, isn't the point of these is to bring in folks who are not adequately represented in the legal profession?
Many groups adequately represented in law schools are not adequately represented in law firms.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
bk187 wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Are diversity fellowships geared towards URMs or students of color in general? There isn't exactly a dearth of South Asians in the legal communities I'm targeting, lol.
Are non-URMS and URMs viewed differently, though, as in admissions? I mean, isn't the point of these is to bring in folks who are not adequately represented in the legal profession?
Many groups adequately represented in law schools are not adequately represented in law firms.
I believe white males are quite a rarity.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Don't wanna work in a firm. I was referring to PI fellowships/stipend programs.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:14 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
bk187 wrote:
I don't know whether certain groups fare better than others in diversity applications. If it is true, I know for a fact it won't be as hardline as law school apps (i.e. they aren't going to differentiate between Mexicans and Cubans). My suspicion is that it is true to some extent (AAs may be more prized) but that it will be more about your story and your credentials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 pm

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer in the midwest for a 1L SA. Paid and all that. Got it because its a pretty insular market and I had ties.

While SUPER fortunate for this offer, I was curious if anyone here knew if it would hurt my chances for the west coast come 2L OCI.
What are your ties like?
Zero current ties, but my wife will be working there for the indefinite future. It would be in Northern California. She would be there for a postdoc, I'd be trying to snag something IP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer in the midwest for a 1L SA. Paid and all that. Got it because its a pretty insular market and I had ties.

While SUPER fortunate for this offer, I was curious if anyone here knew if it would hurt my chances for the west coast come 2L OCI.
What are your ties like?
Zero current ties, but my wife will be working there for the indefinite future. It would be in Northern California. She would be there for a postdoc, I'd be trying to snag something IP.
(I'm speculating since I don't really know anybody who has used their spouse's job/school as a tie.)

I think overall it might hurt you a bit since you have no ties and your resume will be devoid of anything CA-related. Ideally you'd want to have at least some firsthand experience and something on your resume. This really leaves you with hoping that you can convey the wife thing in your mass mail cover letters (not saying that you won't have lottery screeners but having backups is a good thing). That being said, I do think "I am looking for a job here because my wife will 100% be there" is a pretty strong hook that will convince a lot of firms. Couple that with IP (I assume you mean you have an IP background) and I think you're actually fairly good to go. I would suggest to do your best to familiarize yourself with the area and be able to give cogent reasons (other than your wife) for wanting to work in CA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:04 am

Has anyone heard back from judges for the judicial intern opportunity program (JIOP)? Been in judicial review for 2 weeks now and haven't heard form a judge yet.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am

Given that 1L classes are "foundational" or whatever, is it bad, from a practice standpoint, that I've forgotten a frightening amount of knowledge I learned from last semester? Property, especially, is all a blur. :oops: Oh, and I did really well in Ks, but my 80 year old prof barely touched on UCC stuff, whereas most Ks classes delve deeply into it. I'm worried about being unprepared this summer, esp. with upperclassmen saying that law school (esp. high ranked ones) don't do the best job of teaching you how to be a lawyer (which is ridic, considering it's a bloody professional school! :? )

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 am

Meh. You'll have to learn about it again for the bar anyway. Also, I don't think anyone is going to quiz you on who owned the fox in Pierson v Post.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:24 am

Also, since I am doing indigent legal aid this summer for immigrants/refugees, would it be a good idea for me to, after the writing comp and before the first day of work, read an immigration law "nutshell" or something like that? Feel sooooo unprepared, even though I'm really excited about my first legal job!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 am

PinkLotus wrote:Also, since I am doing indigent legal aid this summer for immigrants/refugees, would it be a good idea for me to, after the writing comp and before the first day of work, read an immigration law "nutshell" or something like that? Feel sooooo unprepared, even though I'm really excited about my first legal job!

you could, but your job will tell you what you need to know

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Meh. You'll have to learn about it again for the bar anyway. Also, I don't think anyone is going to quiz you on who owned the fox in Pierson v Post.
Haha, I at least remember that, since it's the first case I ever read. I'm sure it will come in super handy this summer! :roll:

I've heard from a mentor who graduated last year that low-ranked schools do a better job with inculcating nitty-gritty practical skills (as opposed to theory), which is a true shame. What the hell was the point of my Civ Pro prof spending several classes on Pennoyer when the Court's ruling in the case has subsequently been overturned?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

because Pennoyer hasn't been overturned. (subject to how you interpret Shaffer).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am

PinkLotus wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Meh. You'll have to learn about it again for the bar anyway. Also, I don't think anyone is going to quiz you on who owned the fox in Pierson v Post.
Haha, I at least remember that, since it's the first case I ever read. I'm sure it will come in super handy this summer! :roll:

I've heard from a mentor who graduated last year that low-ranked schools do a better job with inculcating nitty-gritty practical skills (as opposed to theory), which is a true shame. What the hell was the point of my Civ Pro prof spending several classes on Pennoyer when the Court's ruling in the case has subsequently been overturned?
Like many cases in the first year, Pennoyer was an anachronistic case that was used solely to show the underlying rationale behind the way we do things today.

A.K.A. useless.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:38 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

Like many cases in the first year, Pennoyer was an anachronistic case that was used solely to show the underlying rationale behind the way we do things today.

A.K.A. useless.
I understand touching upon the historical background of a concept (i.e. Baird and Drennan for sec. 90 in Ks) but there is no need so spend several classes on anachronistic cases, lol.

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:52 am

And the search continues. . . this is like a full time class!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:57 am

JG7773 wrote:And the search continues. . . this is like a full time class!
Awww...take the first gig that comes your way (even if it's not your top choice) and return to BEAST MODE, a.k.a. the more important task of blowing the shit out of the water in your spring 1L classes.

CSWS '13!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am

InGoodFaith wrote:I don't think anyone is going to quiz you on who owned the fox in Pierson v Post.
Twitch.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 am

Would u recommend participating in CLEs in my areas of interest? Should I list CLEs I attended on my resume to show demonstrated commitment to PI?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 am

I think attending CLEs can be really valuable for networking - very few law students go, so I've heard that lawyers like to talk to the ones who do. But no, don't put them on your resume.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 pm

northwood wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Also, since I am doing indigent legal aid this summer for immigrants/refugees, would it be a good idea for me to, after the writing comp and before the first day of work, read an immigration law "nutshell" or something like that? Feel sooooo unprepared, even though I'm really excited about my first legal job!

How about Lexis/Westlaw trainings? Should I do a bunch of them to prepare before starting?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Ding by Wilmer NYC after CB - but invited to skip OCI screener for 2L

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:46 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
northwood wrote:

How about Lexis/Westlaw trainings? Should I do a bunch of them to prepare before starting?
no

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:51 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
northwood wrote:
if you really wanted to.. you could alwasy find out if they use lexis or westlaw, and use that one for the rest of 1L.
but you dont need to. if you want, sure you can search out some things immigration law related. but thats such a broad topic, it may be a waste of your time and effort. you may find yourself doing similar things and talking about similar topics, so why waste your time now??

as long as you have a basic conception of either one, youll be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:06 pm

USAO DC offers went out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”