1L Summer Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Job Search

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anybody heard back from USAO in DC or any DOJ in DC for summer internships?
OP here

heard back from civil in DOJ DC today. Also know of others (friends and classmates) who have heard back from office of legal policy in dc
OP here

mine was actually interview request, not grade request. Also for a specific DOJ Torts section

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:36 pm

In terms of of updating firms with grades, any advice on how to phrase those emails? Is it kosher to address the contents or just forward them without comment?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In terms of of updating firms with grades, any advice on how to phrase those emails? Is it kosher to address the contents or just forward them without comment?
Not sure what you mean by "address the contents" or "without comment." Don't talk about the grades in your email since the transcript does that for you. I would take the opportunity to reaffirm interest though. Something along the lines of:
Dear HR Person,

I previously applied for a 1L position with Binder & Binder. Having just received my fall grades, I wanted to update you with them as well as reiterate my interest in Binder & Binder. I appreciate you taking the time to look at my application and look forward to hearing back from you. I can be reached by phone at 555.555.5555 or by email at toplawstudent@tls.com

Sincerely,
Anon TLSer

Encl:
Unofficial Law School Transcript

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 pm

DOJ has started to trickle out some more.

And the wait by the phone begins.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:DOJ has started to trickle out some more.

And the wait by the phone begins.
Some divisions will email interview requests. I also didn't hear back last year till the last week of January.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 pm

How good do your grades need to be for USAO in the SDNY or EDNY? Or non-firm high level govt/non-profit jobs in general. Would median cut it from CCN?

Also, is it not kosher to turn down an offer around this time? I guess a better question is: how many of you 2Ls and 3Ls turned down offers in hopes of getting something more of what you wanted farther down the road?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, is it not kosher to turn down an offer around this time? I guess a better question is: how many of you 2Ls and 3Ls turned down offers in hopes of getting something more of what you wanted farther down the road?
You can turn down 1L offers and nonpaying offers are not incredibly hard to come by. Turning down a nonpaying offer for a small chance at a firm is an easy call to make. If you're trying to get a more preferable nonpaying job (e.g. turning down a state AG offer because you'd rather work for the DoJ), turning down is up to you. Turning down means you might get something you want more, but it might also backfire and get something you want less in addition to having to spend more time job searching. Yes you may not get what you want, but in the end, as long as you have something legal, it doesn't matter. Just keep it mind that pretty much all 1L legal jobs are going to be looked at in the same light come OCI. They won't care whether you worked for the DoJ, USAO, CoA, state AG, local PD, whatever. It really is all the same for the most part.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Have a phone interview with the NY AG Manhattan office for consumer frauds ...Any advice for phone interviews? Want to hold out for a federal position, but just in case

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:27 pm

what exactly is an unofficial transcript? i got a request for one followed by an official.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:28 pm

stillwater wrote:what exactly is an unofficial transcript? i got a request for one followed by an official.
Go on your school admin website like where you register for classes and stuff and you should find a link to an electronic transcript there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:45 pm

so far top 1% at t-10 with 2 grades left. assuming performance ~10%, is it worth holding out for a 1l and turning down internships if goal is SA?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:47 pm

stillwater wrote:what exactly is an unofficial transcript? i got a request for one followed by an official.
ask your registrar. If need be, just print out your grades

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Is there a workaround to export to Excel for Leadership Library? The login my school gave me apparently doesn't have the "authority" to export any lists.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

harbin

New

Post by harbin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 pm

What offices will be open tomorrow? I know government won't be, but do firms and PI work on MLK?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:02 pm

As an aside, Ropes & Gray does take on 1L SAs, though it doesn't advertise as such
Paterson Belknap might as well, though I can't get confirmation.

Good luck to everyone who tries (and if you get the job, you owe me a beer)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Any harm in sending out grades to firms that dinged a few weeks ago (before getting grades)? Have solid resume/ undergrad yet got some dings from desirable firms that hire 1Ls. Could it work unfavorably for OCI next year to bother by sending them grades? Hoping there is a .0001% chance they change their mind when seeing good grades....

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:42 pm

dingbat wrote:As an aside, Ropes & Gray does take on 1L SAs, though it doesn't advertise as such

Which office for Ropes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm

I got median pwned at my CCN. I had two firm interviews in Chicago that went well. I have a third that is up in the air still. Should I assume that I'm not going to get offered and start figuring out my back up plan?

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got median pwned at my CCN. I had two firm interviews in Chicago that went well. I have a third that is up in the air still. Should I assume that I'm not going to get offered and start figuring out my back up plan?
You should have started cultivating alternate plans even before grades came out. So yes.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any harm in sending out grades to firms that dinged a few weeks ago (before getting grades)? Have solid resume/ undergrad yet got some dings from desirable firms that hire 1Ls. Could it work unfavorably for OCI next year to bother by sending them grades? Hoping there is a .0001% chance they change their mind when seeing good grades....
How good are your grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any harm in sending out grades to firms that dinged a few weeks ago (before getting grades)? Have solid resume/ undergrad yet got some dings from desirable firms that hire 1Ls. Could it work unfavorably for OCI next year to bother by sending them grades? Hoping there is a .0001% chance they change their mind when seeing good grades....
Strong. Would put me in the hunt for a 1L firm job. Just concerned about pestering a firm that already said no (and it seems strange they would even ding before getting grades when I know they hire 1Ls)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:
Strong. Would put me in the hunt for a 1L firm job. Just concerned about pestering a firm that already said no (and it seems strange they would even ding before getting grades when I know they hire 1Ls)
What is the point in hiding your actual grades when you are already anonymous. Anyway....

If you are top 5% at a T14 the answer is yes. If not then no because it will not matter to the firm.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Have an interview request with USAO EDNY ...any anecdotes or advice?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:06 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
dingbat wrote:As an aside, Ropes & Gray does take on 1L SAs, though it doesn't advertise as such

Which office for Ropes?
NYC.

Basically, I learned that even though they officially don't take 1Ls, somehow there are a few every year

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:10 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Have an interview request with USAO EDNY ...any anecdotes or advice?
Let me know if you hear anything. I'll be interviewing with USAO DNJ soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”