Splitting Summer at two firms in a Tertiary Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Splitting Summer at two firms in a Tertiary Market

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi All,

I have accepted a position at Firm A in a tertiary market (see prior thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=196276 In that prior thread, firm B was the firm I accepted with. In other words, Firm A in this thread is the same as Firm B in the prior thread.). I interviewed with firm B in the same market about three days before I accepted with firm A. Firm B knew I had an offer from Firm C, which was in a different market, but I did not disclose in my OCI with firm B that I had an offer also from Firm A (its direct competitor in town). Today I got an offer from firm B (no callback, just straight offer after OCI).

Does anyone with small city law firms think it is OK to try to split summers? The thing is, I am already committed to the market for next summer with firm A. I have never lived in the city but know the area. Firm B is the flagship firm of that town. I believe that both firms offer good prospects for me full time, but I really like the idea of doubling my exposure within the city, especially getting time in at the "premier" firm in town.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rad lulz

Re: Splitting Summer at two firms in a Tertiary Market

Postby rad lulz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi All,

I have accepted a position at Firm A in a tertiary market (see prior thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=196276 In that prior thread, firm B was the firm I accepted with. In other words, Firm A in this thread is the same as Firm B in the prior thread.). I interviewed with firm B in the same market about three days before I accepted with firm A. Firm B knew I had an offer from Firm C, which was in a different market, but I did not disclose in my OCI with firm B that I had an offer also from Firm A (its direct competitor in town). Today I got an offer from firm B (no callback, just straight offer after OCI).

Does anyone with small city law firms think it is OK to try to split summers? The thing is, I am already committed to the market for next summer with firm A. I have never lived in the city but know the area. Firm B is the flagship firm of that town. I believe that both firms offer good prospects for me full time, but I really like the idea of doubling my exposure within the city, especially getting time in at the "premier" firm in town.

Thanks

Highly dependent on the market and the individual firms. I am assuming that these aren't 6 week programs and you'd have to ask one or both of the firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi All,

Thanks

Highly dependent on the market and the individual firms. I am assuming that these aren't 6 week programs and you'd have to ask one or both of the firms.

Yeah, idiosyncratic market for sure. They are not offered as "six week programs"; they're really just "how ever long you're around" type programs. I would be asking both firms to do 6 weeks, which is an equal division of my available summer.

btw: thanks for the advice in both threads Rad.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:24 pm

I would caution doing this in the same market and with similar type firms, unless this is something that is accepted in that particular market (i.e. possibly some southern markets)... It just looks a little wishy-washy without a good reason (i.e. biglaw and tax boutique or something)

Return to “Legal Employment”